Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Current Production Leatherman Juice mini review.

Chako · 17 · 16960

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Current Production Leatherman Juice mini review.
on: July 11, 2009, 02:06:14 AM
It is time for another short review.

The Leatherman Juice series (Current Production Models).

I just recently got in my possession 4 Juice models. I would like to contrast the differences and similarities of those models.

I will be quite honest and state that I never laid eyes upon a Juice model, nor did I ever have the opportunity to do so. Nobody locally sold them. Plenty of Kick, Fuse, and Blast models however. I was rather surprised at the construction of these models which differ substantially from the more traditional Leatherman multi-tools.

The Juice series are built very similarity to Swiss Army Knives, and most pocket knives for that matter. Gone are the traditional U shaped metal  handles with folding tools affixed on one end by a pass-through pin.  Layers with metal back springs are the Juices mainstay.

Along with the differentiation in construction, come several other unique features.  For one, the size of the Juice series is, I would consider, medium . It is the perfect size for a pocket carry. When I first got these, I looked high and low for a lanyard ring and found one discretely tucked in with the Phillips screw driver. The only issue with this however, is that there is no easy way to take the lanyard ring out from its put away position. I had to find scissors or something that I could gently hook the ring and swing it out.  So you can use a lanyard on all of these if you so wish.

Another interesting difference are the colours that you can get these in. Most models seem to have a unique hot colour and a gray colour. The ones I bought were a gray Leatherman calls “Storm Gray”.  It is decidedly low key, just like I wanted. However, you can get the hot colour, which might help if you have several models. You can easily ID the Juice by the colour.

From left to right for size comparison: Leatherman Blast, Mini Tool, Freestyle CX, Juice S2, Juice C2, Juice CS4, Juice XE6.

From left to right: Leatherman Blast, Mini Tool, Freestyle CX, Juice S2.

As you can see, the Juice series have full sized pliers and are roughly the same size as a Freestyle, albeit with more functions. The Freestyle is basically a pair of pliers with a folding knife. The Juice series gives you quite a bit more capability for a similar sized package.

From left to right: Juice S2, Juice C2, Juice CS4, Juice XE6.

Let’s get back to what I found so interesting about these…their construction. If you take a look at the above photograph, you can see how there is a basic layer to which they add on extra layers to expand the functionality of the tool at the cost of weight and thickness.

I also understand that their naming convention follows a pattern.

S = scissors
C= Corkscrew
#= Layers.

For example, a Juice S2 is the model that has 2 layers and contains a pair of scissors.
Now, this convention goes out the door with XE6. There are 6 layers, but I have no clue what XE means other than they threw in the kitchen sink.

Also, of note, because the Juice series are basically modules, the handles on all 4 models are one layer less than the other handle. This makes them a little odd feeling in the hand, as they feel lopsided. Just another interesting part to their construction. I do recall somewhere reading that one of the other discontinued models had even handles. I am thinking the KF4, but that is just a guess on my part.

Mention should also be made of the Juice series that are not current production models. There are 3 that I know of.

1.   Juice KF4 which has been discontinued.
2.   Juice Pro which was a production run for Costco.
3.   Juice SC2 which was a production run for another company.

Interestingly enough, both 2 and 3 are not listed in Leatherman’s listings of discontinued models. I cannot comment on these because I don’t have any of them yet.

Juice S2

The only Juice that does not have a corkscrew. Oddly enough, you do get the bottle opener with assist. That feature is sort of useless without the corkscrew. I imagined it was a lot cheaper to use the same part then to change the shape of it.

I won’t get into details of listing the tools, the photographs shall speak that part.

This does feature a very useful pair of scissors instead of the corkscrew. I personally find scissors more useful than a corkscrew. The Juice S2 also has the distinction of being the thinnest of the models. Pair of scissors and a smaller package. I would imagine this is the more popular of Juices…but that is just open conjecture on my part.

Juice C2

Here is the sister of the S4. The main difference here is that you don’t have a pair of handy scissors. Instead you have a corkscrew. Well at least the bottle assist feature on the can opener makes more sense on this model then it does on the C2. This model is slightly thicker then the C2 due to the addition of that corkscrew.

Juice CS4

Now this models Is rather interesting. Take a look at that awl. It isn’t Leatherman’s usually Awl shape. It’s a bit of folded metal with a sewing hole punched in. It reminds me of that found on Victorinox Swiss Army Knives.  The Juice CS4 contains both a corkscrew and scissors…all in 4 layers.

Juice XE6

This is the largest of the current production Juices. The Juice Pro adds a few more features, making it the largest of the series; however, as far as current production models go, the Juice XE6 is the big Daddy of the series.

Conclusion

I am rather intrigues at the Juice series construction. It is basically a modular system, with added layers differentiating one from another. With that said, it is the perfect size for an everyday carry.  Not everything Is good though. A big knock for not having locking knives. Another dig for the difficult to get lanyard ring. A third strike for some slight quality issues and design gaffs. The XE6 has a file that is a bit too snug in its birth. It scrapes on the way out and in. Likewise, I am unsure why Leatherman decided to make the 3 small folding tools on one handle, hard to get at. I mean, Victorinox has figured out how to make tools easily accessible by fingernail. I have some difficulty getting those little tools out. You can say there is some finger nail breaking action just on those tools.

Pros:
-   Small and convenient package with a good amount of functionality.
-   Looks classier and possibly slightly upscale to a more traditional Leatherman.
-   Good selection of tools.
-   Variation in models mean you should be able to find the right one for your needs.
-   Funky colours.
Cons:
-   Some quality control issues are evident, especially in my XE6 model. It is minor, but It is still there.
-   Lanyard ring is hard to find, and once you find it, you may need another multi-tool to get it out.
-   Poorly designed fingernail grooves and orientation found on the backs of the 3 small folding tools on one handle.
-   Blades don’t lock.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Re: Current Production Leatherman Juice mini review.
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:12:08 AM
Nice overviews of the current Juice tools...I bet your eager for that KF4 :)
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 02:25:07 AM
Along with the PRO and SC2.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 02:41:23 AM
Nice review. I agree with the conclusions.  The S2 is my favorite for compact EDC.  I like the CS4 but would prefer a file over the corkscrew (ala KF4). The XE6 (I don't own one) is a little awkward in my hand and very noticeable in my pocket. 

I'd add one more con though:  No pocket clip.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:55:43 AM
the s2 is my favorite too, i only have the extremes the pro and the s2 though i really dont see the point of getting the others(except for the KF4 and the SC2 :D)

BTW just a correction here: "Here is the sister of the S4" i guess you mean S2, right? :think: great review :tu:
A

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 04:02:00 AM
Yep that is a typo.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 05:59:13 PM
I recently got the purple XE6, do you find returning some tools to closed position takes precision alignment/tight tolerances? Find myself having to align some multiple times to fully close, seems to c;ose better if you let them snap into place.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 07:15:19 PM
On my example. only the file gives me some issues.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 08:42:07 PM
the s2 is my favorite too, i only have the extremes the pro and the s2 though i really dont see the point of getting the others(except for the KF4 and the SC2 :D)
+1 on the S2.. :tu: Great for shorts in the summertime.. :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:05:57 AM
All I have are the noncurrent production ones the Kf4 and the Pro and I really like them :tu: I need to get a S2 and give it a whirl :) Nice pics as usual Chako :tu: and another fine review/comparison :cheers:

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 05:21:35 PM
Just wanted to say how good your reviews are Chako. I really like the way you take the comparison pics side by side.

I'd be very interested if you did a selection of reviews focusing on a range related tools from different manufactures  eg all the heavyweights side by side or perhaps a load of key chains tools and let us now who comes out on top   I think you have enought 'stock' do get a few done  ;)

Keep up the good work :D
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:27:55 PM
Yah good analysis Chako :tu:  I really hope they choose to upgrade and enhance the Juice line (with some of the features we've discussed) rather than just let it fade away. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:02 PM
That would be nice. I am just glad that I got the other 3 Juice models before my PayPal account became useless.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 04:01:05 AM
Unfortunately I can't get along with this Juice models, they're just not small enough or just too big! :think:
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 08:54:00 PM
Interesting reviews :tu:. A lot of people on here have said that they find some of the tools on Juices hard to open but both my CS4 and my Pro are fine. I think maybe they loosen up with use although I've had the CS4 from new and I don't remember it ever being stiff, and my Pro doen't look to have seen a lot of use - maybe they just vary.
Prone to daydreaming.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:14 PM
Interesting reviews :tu:. A lot of people on here have said that they find some of the tools on Juices hard to open but both my CS4 and my Pro are fine. I think maybe they loosen up with use although I've had the CS4 from new and I don't remember it ever being stiff, and my Pro doen't look to have seen a lot of use - maybe they just vary.

Mine certainly opens easily enough.
I'm back!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 10:14:23 PM

Mine certainly opens easily enough.

On all four of my juice models I find the internal drivers difficult to open - I've even cut myself trying to open them before.  After a bit of lubrication and breaking in they were better, but still not the easiest tools to open.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%