Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox New Soldier Review

Zack · 9 · 4368

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Victorinox New Soldier Review
on: July 07, 2009, 02:45:16 AM
Ok, So my sister was snooping on my Amazon wishlist and she ordered me a New Soldier.  I have had it for a week and since we have been renovating my wife's old bedroom I decided to use it for everything I could.  Below is a list of how it was used and my opinions on it.

Painting:  First order of business was painting her old bedroom.  Unfortuantely no one had a paint can opener, so out came the bottle opener/prybar on the soldier.  It was slow going but it opened with very little effort.  You have to work slow, but it will open the paint (opened three cans of it).  All the screw drivers got a workout taking off all the light switch and outlet covers.  Again they worked like a charm.  I found that I would open both the can opener and bottle opener and put it in my back pocket to have whenever I need to unscrew something.

Putting up blinds:  We got some Roman Blinds for the baby's area to keep out as much light as possible, so he will sleep a little later in the morning.  However the old screws were stripped and I could get the covers off, so I pried them off with the prybar.  This thing can take some torque, and the scales never flexed once.  The phillips driver was used to screw in the new covers and the blinds went up without a fuss.

Taking apart a desk:  The phillips driver made short work of taking apart an old drafting table.  Yes, the drivers slip a little but not enough to finish the job.  It was also used to help dismantle an old entertainment center.

Opening my beer:  The bottle opener worked flawlessly at opening my Abita Purple Haze. :cheers: :D

Various cutting:  There was many times a strings needed to be trimmer (blinds), trash bags need to be cut up for drop cloths (painting) that the OHO blade really shined.  Is very sharp and cut through many different materials with the greatest of ease.  Sure, none of these tasks were very difficult put it was nice to know it could handle it and many more.  I find it a little more robust feeling than the OH Trekker, but that may just be my perception, as I am unsure as to whether they share components, mainly the main blade and bottle opener.

Pick one up as soon as you can.

Overall:  This tool is an excellent buy and can handle anything you can throw at it.  The scales are very comfortable and the rubber inserts really help when using the drivers.

Offline silentio

Re: Victorinox New Soldier Review
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:07:51 AM
Nice review. I just helped my sister paint her room too, but we had a toolbox on hand, so I didn't get to use any of my MTs for the job.

I've been tempted once or twice by the new soldier, but I already have an OHT, so could never bring myself to buy one. Feels like a duplication. TBH, the only thing I don't like about the OHT is the Phillips, the steel feels soft. Perhaps it's different on the new Soldier?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:04:14 AM
Great review and test of the new Soldier Zack :tu: Thanks for sharing :cheers:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 04:09:25 AM
Yeah, does anyone know if the OHT is different from the Soldier? Be really helpful if ye knew...

Thanks for the review! :D
Got those frog legs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:48:55 AM
Yeah, does anyone know if the OHT is different from the Soldier? Be really helpful if ye knew...

Other than the scales they're the same thing.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:00:16 AM

Other than the scales they're the same thing.

Thanks! Now I can rest comfortably without paying the premium for thos OD scales.

Pretty scales though... NO! DO NOT FALTER! AHHH! :ahhh
Got those frog legs.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:26:03 PM
The scales are comfy in the hands.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:31:30 PM
Gosh, nice blade! I´d love to EDC one, but I´ll never EDC a large knife without a clip again. So I´ll stick to my large Spyderco ans SOG blades and my cadet in my pocket.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:01:06 AM
I stick it in the watch pocket in my jeans, and rubber inserts help keep it in.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%