Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Vics are sharp - duh!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
New Vics are sharp - duh!
on: July 13, 2009, 01:08:12 AM
So, I was using a Recruit's small blade as a screwdriver...

Yeah, I know better, but I wanted to install new button cells in a plastic squeeze light for someone.

To do that I needed to remove four teeny, tiny Phillips screws.  I could have taken the light home and used a jeweler's screwdriver, but in the field a Recruit was the only thing on hand that could turn those little screws.

Anyway, while putting it back together, I slipped and tagged my thumb with that little blade.

The new blade was sharp enough that it wasn't really painful.  At first I thought I had got lucky and hadn't really cut myself that badly.  But, that little blade had gone in deep and soon my thumb was bleeding freely.  ;>

The factory edge on the Recruit cut my thumb about as deep as a brand new razor knife blade would have cut.

Besides mis-using a blade as a screwdriver, I was violating other elementary rules of knife safety so I suppose I got what I deserved.  ;>

N

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New Vics are sharp - duh!
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:55:33 AM
  :oops: We live and learn (at least that's the idea  ;)).  Is this a bad time to point out that the little Phillips found on the Vic Rambler etc works very well on those tiny heads? 

I hope the thumb heals quickly.  :tu:  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline silentio

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:45:53 AM
Ouch, hope no children were there so they don't learn bad knife habits :P

Hope you heal up fast :) Maybe you should carry your cybertool around next time.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:52:56 AM
Dang. :(

Well, the only good thing is that cuts with a really sharp knife tend to heal quickly. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:54:47 AM
Be careful of the danger zone. =(
Got those frog legs.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:16:06 AM
You think you were doing wrong? Try using the can openner as a hook....got my thumb cutted reeeeeeally deep :/ bleeding like a fountain :(

I suposse some of us need to learn things the hard way :D
A

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:26:52 AM
dont worry, vic blades cut so clean that you wont have a scar to remember lol, i almost cut my thumb in two with a rescue tool and  got a realy little scar.  :twak: lol
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:03:35 AM by Sidhartha »
custom swiss army knives

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 05:03:28 AM
Chick digs scars! :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:18:47 AM
Chick digs scars! :D

Chicks dig Vics :D

Nuff said :)
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 06:41:07 AM
  :oops: We live and learn (at least that's the idea  ;)).  Is this a bad time to point out that the little Phillips found on the Vic Rambler etc works very well on those tiny heads? 

I hope the thumb heals quickly.  :tu:  :)

"Against stupdity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

Thanks for thinking of my thumb, Gareth.  :>

Hate cuts on the fingers because every time I wash my hands the bandage gets wet.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 06:45:11 AM
Ouch, hope no children were there so they don't learn bad knife habits :P

Hope you heal up fast :) Maybe you should carry your cybertool around next time.

No children were present to inhibit the free flow of curses and other blasphemies from my filthy mouth.  ;>

Don't have a Cybertool or Rambler for that matter.

I'm not sure even the smaller Phillips on those SAKs could fit into the teeny little cross head screws I was dealing with.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 06:48:32 AM
You think you were doing wrong? Try using the can openner as a hook....got my thumb cutted reeeeeeally deep :/ bleeding like a fountain :(

Please tell us what you were doing when you got cut - maybe it's something we can learn to avoid.

I've never done it, but have heard people talk about using the can opener as a hook.

N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 06:56:28 AM
At least the blood won't attack the steel like it would on lesser tools :D

Hope it heals quickly mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 06:58:47 AM
I guess the lesson we should all take away from this is...

Buy a cybertool and rambler and always keep it close by. :P
Got those frog legs.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 07:26:19 AM
At least the blood won't attack the steel like it would on lesser tools :D

Hope it heals quickly mate :)

Thanks, micky d.

Do I sense a veiled, underhanded attack against LM?

Oddly enough, my old made in Japan LM PST wound up being used as the main food prep knife for a couple of years when I was in college.

Peeled veggies, sliced raw meat, chicken, fish, bread, and even my fingers a few times.

The only maintanance was washing the blade after cutting raw meat, chicken, fish, etc.  After washing it dripped dry.  Was never oiled.  Was rarely sharpened.

Never rusted.

In fact, years later it still has not a spot of rust. ;>

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 07:30:38 AM

The lesson I've learned is to grab a few more sets of cheap jeweler's screwdrivers.  One for the car, one for the rucksack, one for the briefcase.

N

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 07:35:01 AM

The lesson I've learned is to grab a few more sets of cheap jeweler's screwdrivers.  One for the car, one for the rucksack, one for the briefcase.

What kind of lesson is that? It doesn't feed a SAK addition or anything! :think:

Are you sure you're on the right site? :D
Got those frog legs.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47:59 AM

What kind of lesson is that? It doesn't feed a SAK addition or anything! :think:

Are you sure you're on the right site? :D

Don't have one around to check, but I don't think the small Phillips driver on the Rambler would fit those little cross head screws.

Don't think they were even true Phillips screws, more like tiny double slot head screws.

Had a Midnight Manager with the little Phillips, and I don't think it'd fit into those slots.

N

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 11:27:34 AM
The guys in Ibach really know their job, Victorinox blades are scary sharp when new! I´m always impressed when I get a new Victorinox. Cut myself with a factory new Rucksack once - dude, that was a deep cut!

Btw: Cut myself with a Spyderco Native yesterday. I just sharpened it, so it was realy sharp too. Just wanted to rinse it after using it, when I used my fingers to clean a bit of dirt of the blade I removed a nice slice of skin of my finger too. Ouch!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:37 PM

Please tell us what you were doing when you got cut - maybe it's something we can learn to avoid.

I've never done it, but have heard people talk about using the can opener as a hook.

i was trying to get a recessed card of a SDH node, this require a hook but the spirit one couldnt reach the hole, so i try with the can opener holding the SDH node with my left hand and pulling slightly to the left, the can opener blade slip(because is not a hook :-[ ) and my left thumb wasnt hard enough to stop it so it went trough leaving behind a clean cut, i was amazed that i wasnt bleeding and it didnt hurt, but just a few sec and i was struggling to make it stop :cry: it was pretty deep

i learned my lesson, definitively :cry:
A

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 12:33:25 AM

i was trying to get a recessed card of a SDH node, this require a hook but the spirit one couldnt reach the hole, so i try with the can opener holding the SDH node with my left hand and pulling slightly to the left, the can opener blade slip(because is not a hook :-[ ) and my left thumb wasnt hard enough to stop it so it went trough leaving behind a clean cut, i was amazed that i wasnt bleeding and it didnt hurt, but just a few sec and i was struggling to make it stop :cry: it was pretty deep

i learned my lesson, definitively :cry:

Thanks for the details, cliosguy.

Interesting how, right after you've been cut, you think:  "Wow!  Didn't hurt that much.  Maybe it's not that deep..."

Then the blood starts streaming out and you realize, "Sh*t, that's a deep cut!"  ;>

People have suggested using the Vic can opener as a hook to pick up pots off a campfire.  I've never tried that, but it seems reasonable.

Beyond something simple like that, I'd be reluctant to try and hook anything because, as you say, it's too likely to slide off.

N

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 12:42:28 AM
exactly and what bothers me is that the spirit "have" a hook, but the disposition of it limits the use :-\
A

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 12:46:56 AM
If you file a slight recess in the can opener it should work much better as hook and doesn't affect its original function.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 12:48:06 AM
thanks for the tip :tu:
A

Offline tcolling

Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 02:12:16 AM
I believe that the smallest size on the cybertools' driver would work for the tiny screws also.
B

Offline tcolling

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 06:31:45 AM
I believe that the smallest size on the cybertools' driver would work for the tiny screws also.

... and now that I think of it, the Phillips driver on the combo tool on the minichamp / rambler etc would likely work also
B

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 09:18:47 AM

... and now that I think of it, the Phillips driver on the combo tool on the minichamp / rambler etc would likely work also

I did try this after reading this thread and yes they do, at least on my photon-likes.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 08:34:57 PM
Hey RZ, for future reference, next time try using the tweezers.  I've used them to remove screws in glasses.  I've used them for tiny flathead screws as well as for phillips screws.  For the phillips, I obviously use the corner of the tweezers.  Try it out.  It takes a little bit of practice, getting a feel for the tolerances of the tweezers before they bend, but in an emergency, they'll work.
And they'll save you a nasty cut.   ;)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 10:21:12 PM
Hey RZ, for future reference, next time try using the tweezers.  I've used them to remove screws in glasses.  I've used them for tiny flathead screws as well as for phillips screws.  For the phillips, I obviously use the corner of the tweezers.  Try it out.  It takes a little bit of practice, getting a feel for the tolerances of the tweezers before they bend, but in an emergency, they'll work.
And they'll save you a nasty cut.   ;)

Thanks for the tip, LatinoHeat.

Sounds good - I'll give it a try this evening.

If the tweezers work for those little tiny screws, then it'll be yet another DUH! moment for me.

N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:50 AM
The guys in Ibach really know their job, Victorinox blades are scary sharp when new! I´m always impressed when I get a new Victorinox. Cut myself with a factory new Rucksack once - dude, that was a deep cut!

Btw: Cut myself with a Spyderco Native yesterday. I just sharpened it, so it was realy sharp too. Just wanted to rinse it after using it, when I used my fingers to clean a bit of dirt of the blade I removed a nice slice of skin of my finger too. Ouch!

Someday somebody oughta do a shootout to see which knives cut fingers the deepest and cleanest. :)

(sounds like Woz already has a good start on it!) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%