Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Doug Ritter Mini-RSK MK1-G2 the better Mini Griptillian?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I love my Mini Griptillians (MG) and influenced by YT reviews I ordered the Mini-RSK (MRSK) often dubbed the best Griptillian. So, do I agree? In short, no! Here are my thoughts, and I will primarily focus on the differences between the two knives.

Price: The MRSK has a really good price... if you live in the US. As it is a knifeworks exclusive, I had to pay for shipping and customs. In the end, it was more expensive than my G10/20CV version of the MG.

Handle and ergonomics: The MRSK has really rough G10, how rough you ask? Well, I rubbed a bit of toilet paper on my regular MG (light blue), my G10 MG (grey) and the MRSK (black). You can easily see that there is a lot of grub left on the MRSK (image 1). This is to a point, where I find it not pleasant.
Interestingly, the front finger groove is very smooth and kinda slippery. Unlike the MRSK, the MG has some jimping making it a much more scure grip. You can also see that the MG is better chamfered (best visible on the blue G10)
The MG is not ideal for the forward grip, but I sometimes use it. On the MRSK it is a bit less comfortable because there is slightly less room to place your pointer finger. But more problematic is, that your middle finger rests on the back-end-peak of the finger choil (image 3).
Overall, I the MG has better ergos for me. That said, the MRSK has very good ergos. These are both great knives.

Blade: Alright, I think it would be better to compare the MRSK to the Mini-Freek as they have fairly similar blade shape. I think it gets compared to the MG, as the 1st generation of the RSK was produced by Benchmade which was pretty much a MG with the Doug Ritter blade.
The MG does well for me, but MRSK has the slightly thinner blade stock and the primary bevel is higher. The MG comes flat (20CV / S30V) or hollow ground (154CM). Overall, this means the MRSK should be better at slicing than the flat-ground MG, probably not than the hollow ground MG. The MRSK came with perfect blade centering, but if I'm nitpicking, the edge grind was uneven and not terribly sharp.
Seriously though, a while ago, I did blind cutting cardboard and I cannot tell the griptillians apart.
Overall, all of them are great blades that work well for me.
mrsk_01.jpg
* mrsk_01.jpg (Filesize: 206.81 KB)
mrsk_02.jpg
* mrsk_02.jpg (Filesize: 91.68 KB)
mrsk_03.jpg
* mrsk_03.jpg (Filesize: 123.03 KB)
mrsk_04.jpg
* mrsk_04.jpg (Filesize: 113.65 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Doug Ritter Mini-RSK MK1-G2 the better Mini Griptillian?
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:32 PM
Clip: Probably the worst part about the MRSK is the clip. It eats your pocket because of the rough scale texture (especially where the clip lands). Secondly, are the "squarish" screw heads. I think screws should be recessed, but at the very least they should be rounded, so your pocket does not get hung on it. The MRSK does not sit as deep in the pocket as the MG.
On the plus side. The clip does not create a hot spot.

Thumb stud: Thumb stud cannot be removed with a default screwdriver. :td:

Size: The MRSK is a tad bit longer, just saying.

Customization & Color: The MRSK is available in orange/black and now marbled purple. The MG is available in a wide range of colors. What is also worth noting is that the MG can be completely customized in Benchmades Custom Knife Builder. There is also a ton of after-market stuff available for the MG if that is your cup of tea.

Lock & Action: Thee lock and action are very similar. Like the edge grind, it is something you should adjust to your liking. And of course phosphor-bronze washer need a bit of breaking in for really smooth action.

Conclusion: The MRSK is a great knife. If you are in the US, it is a good price for a good package. I like the blade, like the blade (I really need a Doug Ritter Mini Griptillian). Is it better? No.
Personally, I would go for the MG for the less rough handle and the available colors and aftermarket parts.
mrsk_05.jpg
* mrsk_05.jpg (Filesize: 88.13 KB)
mrsk_06.jpg
* mrsk_06.jpg (Filesize: 51.48 KB)
mrsk_07.jpg
* mrsk_07.jpg (Filesize: 52.24 KB)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:59:47 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:05:56 PM
Which one is better?
The Bugout with Aramis Akhmedov scales... I like the blade better, I like the handle better, it is lighter
mrsk_best.jpg
* mrsk_best.jpg (Filesize: 124.37 KB)

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 09:12:35 AM
Great comparison and good looking sharps :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 03:16:00 PM
Interesting review. I had a full size Griptillian many years ago and quite liked it but ended up giving it away to a friend in need.

I love my Bugout and have been carrying it every day for the last 7 months. It just has the regular blue scales but those Aramis Akhmedov scales look pretty damn good. Now you've got me tempted  :twak:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 05:14:06 PM
Interesting review. I had a full size Griptillian many years ago and quite liked it but ended up giving it away to a friend in need.

I love my Bugout and have been carrying it every day for the last 7 months. It just has the regular blue scales but those Aramis Akhmedov scales look pretty damn good. Now you've got me tempted  :twak:
Let me take temptation away... they cost almost as much as the bugout ($99) :P
Honestly, I love those scales, they feel good, they are really well machined and a great quality of CF (better than what you get from Flytanium, by my amateur judgement)

EDIT: If you don't mind the plastic look, it might be worth looking into getting one of the CF-Elite Bugouts. Supposedly that material is pretty good.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:22:03 PM by Etherealicer »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 10:48:25 PM
Isnt the real question the quality difference from Benchmade to Hogue?
I have several Benchmade but have no interest in the new versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 11:28:52 PM
Isnt the real question the quality difference from Benchmade to Hogue?
I have several Benchmade but have no interest in the new versions.

My bugout scales where rougher than I liked, but I could have lived with them. The MRSK is on an other level with roughness (see my first post here). I cannot see myself EDCing that knife without taking it down a notch with sandpaper. But I would not call that a quality issue, as I think that was intended like this.

So, the only differences in quality I can see, that I find the MRSK is not chamfered as well as the MG at the inside edge (or any of my other BM). It is not nearly as bad as the CRKT seismic (they even put a spike, right where your finger is supposed to rest), but it is one of my worst knife in that regard.
I have 9 Benchmades, none of them had an quality issue worse than the slightly uneven edge-grind the MRSK had. Some where stiffer to open (Valet, with his light blade), some had no issues (Super Freek and that one was a good deal cheaper the MRSK). Overall, neither the BM nor the Hogue/Ritter had anything quality wise that would make me believe that either has an edge on quality. Well, the Anthem is leagues ahead of the others in quality. It also has by far the best lock, the best blade (too bad it is so large). But again, it costs so much more it better be better.

I would say the MRSK is a good deal (price/quality/materials) if you live in the US, but it costs $38 more over a regular Mini Griptillian in S30V ($140 vs $102), so I would call it a toss-up*.
Outside of the US, the exclusivity == difficult warranty + extra cost for shipping / customs / vat shifts the price/quality/material clearly in favor of the Benchmades.

* Actually, knifeworks  has the BM Mini-Freek S30V listed at $87, so that might be your best option. I'm actually jealous, at that price I would buy one.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:50:55 PM by Etherealicer »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 05:37:47 AM
Let me take temptation away... they cost almost as much as the bugout ($99) :P
Honestly, I love those scales, they feel good, they are really well machined and a great quality of CF (better than what you get from Flytanium, by my amateur judgement)

EDIT: If you don't mind the plastic look, it might be worth looking into getting one of the CF-Elite Bugouts. Supposedly that material is pretty good.

I checked out the site immediately and saw the prices. Maker seems like a good guy. I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on something I will use everyday. I just don't really mind the original scales on the Bugout. Maybe get them as Christmas present to myself  :)

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 04:46:27 PM
I checked out the site immediately and saw the prices. Maker seems like a good guy. I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on something I will use everyday. I just don't really mind the original scales on the Bugout. Maybe get them as Christmas present to myself  :)
The Rockscales are pretty sweet too!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 06:09:10 PM
The Rockscales are pretty sweet too!
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Yes they are :P :D
critter.jpg
* critter.jpg (Filesize: 58.81 KB)

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 06:16:10 AM
You both are terrible enablers  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 08:59:28 PM
You both are terrible enablers  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
You are welcome :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 09:49:20 AM
So, took the MRSK apart to knock down the sharp edges... that didn't go so well, the scales crumbled. :ahhh
Then I decided to put it on my Lansky to make it sharp where it is supposed to be sharp (hint: not the scales). The thumbstud is really in the way, so I took it off. For some reason Hogue decided to use red-loctite in combination with non standard screws.

So, maybe I was just unlucky, but I can no longer recommend that knife (even if you don't care about a remove-able thumb-stud).
mini_01.jpg
* mini_01.jpg (Filesize: 146.51 KB)
mini_02.jpg
* mini_02.jpg (Filesize: 159.58 KB)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 03:38:51 PM
Most folders I own use blue Loctite, and it's what I buy. (As long as you don't do what I've done a couple times and use way too much) it should be easy to assemble and reassemble as needed.

100 years ago, Remington and Winchester hired the best cutlers in the industry when they got into knifemaking. Seems Hogue, when they decided to branch out didn't do the same.

As a better "Mini Grip" I recommend the Benchmade Bone Collector Mini. I picked one up cheap a few months ago and love it. D2 steel, and a modified drop point blade with Spyderco-style opener. And, instead of plastic, black/green camo G-10 handles.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 04:38:14 PM
Most folders I own use blue Loctite, and it's what I buy. (As long as you don't do what I've done a couple times and use way too much) it should be easy to assemble and reassemble as needed.
They only use red loctite on the thumb stud, which enforces their "no disassebly or you void your warranty policy"

100 years ago, Remington and Winchester hired the best cutlers in the industry when they got into knifemaking. Seems Hogue, when they decided to branch out didn't do the same.
In all fairness, most of the reviews they get are pretty positive... but it also appears that those reviewers have had personal contact and handed the knife to them personally (e.g. I Nick Shabazz got his directly from Doug Ritter).

As a better "Mini Grip" I recommend the Benchmade Bone Collector Mini. I picked one up cheap a few months ago and love it. D2 steel, and a modified drop point blade with Spyderco-style opener. And, instead of plastic, black/green camo G-10 handles.
I think the Mini Griptillian is a pretty good Mini Griptillian :D, though currently I would go for the Mini-Freek as kniveworks has them on sale (I think the regular Freek family is discontinued or maybe they will return with some changes).
hogue.JPG
* hogue.JPG (Filesize: 81.71 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 04:47:32 PM
Bummer.  I can understand makers not wanting customers taking their knives apart HOWEVER I'd love to hear why FROM them.  I imagine someone who buys these knives is relatively knowledgable about knives.  We the knife buying public are pretty competent.  Most new knife buyers would likely send in for any work  :dunno:

I understand but I don't agree.   
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 07:41:02 PM
They only use red loctite on the thumb stud, which enforces their "no disassebly or you void your warranty policy"
Appears that they have updated their policy and removed that.Though on my card it was still there.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 08:10:39 PM
Bummer.  I can understand makers not wanting customers taking their knives apart HOWEVER I'd love to hear why FROM them.  I imagine someone who buys these knives is relatively knowledgable about knives.  We the knife buying public are pretty competent.  Most new knife buyers would likely send in for any work  :dunno:

I understand but I don't agree.

That sucks but yeah I completely agree with this. I've 'voided my warranty' on a bunch of Benchmades and never found it hard at all to assemble/reassemble.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 02:04:05 PM
That sucks but yeah I completely agree with this. I've 'voided my warranty' on a bunch of Benchmades and never found it hard at all to assemble/reassemble.
To my understanding, Benchmade allows disassembly (they even send you parts if something is broken, e.g. the Omega spring).
What is not covered is disassembly by a 3rd party (e.g. remember Texas Tool Crafters, when they sold modified LM's), do it yourself and it is OK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%