Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The last Wave

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
The last Wave
on: October 14, 2015, 04:06:36 PM
As some of you know I lost my engraved and modded LM Wave with S30V blade, pocket clip, tritium light and Spotlight Speck. Along with my LM PS to airport security. :facepalm:
So anyway, I go and get a replacement Wave on ebay as soon as I get home. And its great to have a shiney new one that works perfectly and all for the 3rd time. Then I realise, I should have gotten a TTi. What was I thinking. I have the Surge which is very similar. Out of the OMG 20 or so I have I try and pick different types. Like at-least 2 features that are different. I almost bought a Charge ALX today but I remember looking at one in a store years ago and I didn't like the feel for some reason, and was worried I would scratch it. And if I did then I would be starting this little sub collection of Wave type tools. So the TTi is expensive. But if you drop it do the titanium scales ding up like the big screws on the Wave? Is it worth double the price of the Wave? Thoughts, feelings opinions?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:01:45 PM by TheDude »
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The last Wave
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 04:31:56 PM
In a word, NO.  I don't feel the TTi offers double the capability than the Wave.  I do feel the S30V steel is nice and the Titanium scales are pretty sweet but I dislike the CC pliers.  I don't know about the scales being dinged when dropped tho. 

In time a S30V blade will come along if you really want one again heck even the 154 blades pop up often.  I have the Charge ALX,TTI, and Ti yet my Wave serves me very well.  The others sure look pretty and the blade steel is nice but IMO not worth spending double.

Maybe spice up your Wave with a polish or mod it again to fit your needs.     
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:55 PM
I agree with Aloha, the TTi has nothing over the Wave apart from some cosmetics and the slightly better blade steel.

Essentially it comes down to what the prices are in your part of the world (I mean here both Wave and Charge cost about the same, so why wouldn't I prefer the Charge) and how much are those cosmetics worth to you.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:12:48 PM
Another Agree.

I had a huge Urge to have a TTI but I really don't want the cap crimper head.

My Wave for now does everything I need it to. That is, until my Charge ALX gets here.

My hands are always wet or sweaty at work and I want to see a grip comparison. But that's pretty much the only reason.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 06:32:40 PM
Wave is the way to go.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:44 PM
I agree with Aloha too.

I too do not like the CC plier's and for sure the TTI is not worth 2x the price of the Wave or more!

You could just get a 154cm or s30v blade off Ebay where I have seen them sold seperately and swapped it out to the Wave. 

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 07:20:14 PM
If you already have a Surge, why downgrade?  ;)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 06:10:44 AM
G'Day Mate,

I'm going against the grain and say Charge Ti - discontinued unfortunately. I agree on the CC pliers, a weak point I have been told by them blokes at Zen (Ozzie LM) and I don't like them either. I also prefer the older scales to the new ones.

I have the old Wave and never upgraded to the new one, as the Charge Ti has everything I need. If you are in Sydney I'm happy for you to fondle the Charge for a while.  ;)

Cheers,

Pete

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 04:33:30 PM
Thanks for the offer PT but I think I understand where you are coming from too.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 04:36:09 PM
That Charge TTi is a big giant rip-off. They're marking up that titanium as though if were sterling silver :td:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD