Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Archery

Chako · 51 · 6669

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Archery
Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43:06 AM
recurves and longbows and other traditional bows are cool, very sporting :tu:

but as Mike might say, a compound is "Techno-Archery" and the power you get
and all the gadgetry you need is fun (and expensive! :ahhh )
You've got it in one mate :D

I don't like Compounds :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 03:48:11 PM
I like them all.

I sold a Longbow that pulled 160#. I regret it to this day. It was a beautiful piece and would have looked spectacular on the wall. I had it for a few months but found I could just barely pull the darn thing, and at that, only a few times per day. I had to step into it rather then pull the bow towards me. The thing was a beast, and it shot heavy grained oak arrows with authority. I remember the sound the arrows made when they hit the target and all the people in the indoor range would stop what they were doing and give that funny look.

Oh well.

I am more sensible now and have a PSE Sequoia 50# longbow that I much prefer to use.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 04:01:03 PM
I have to get back into this ATM I'm leaning toward a Samick Spirit II Hunter Take Down Bow 60 lb draw weight  :drool:

A picture of some of my broad heads these of course are just for recreational purposes :D bow hunting is not allowed in these parts  :police: I could however use them at a push if the S**t hit the fan,so to speak  >:D

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:12:31 PM by JohnM »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 04:02:54 PM
I have to ask, when you chaps say longbow do you mean,

this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbow

or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longbow  ?

BTW I shoot a 50lb self ash bow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:04:27 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 04:11:37 PM
The term longbow does include flatbows and a few other designs also. My PSE is a flatbow, but everyone calls them longbows. The 160# was pure traditional with no cut outs. You shot off the hand.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 04:15:06 PM
The term longbow does include flatbows and a few other designs also. My PSE is a flatbow, but everyone calls them longbows. The 160# was pure traditional with no cut outs. You shot off the hand.

I kinda figured that what was meant.  I've never shot anything so high as a 160lb, a 90lb has been my top.  Even that had a bit of poke to it, the 160lb must have hit like a train.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 04:19:52 PM
That it did.

But after 4 or 5 shots I was done for the day. It was why I sold it. I do regret it though. It was a lovely piece.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 04:36:29 PM
I used to shoot a little but since my shoulder surgeries I can't do it anymore. I've considered getting a crossbow but haven't decided yet.

A friend who enjoys bowhunting had shoulder trouble and switched to a crossbow.  He says he wishes he'd done it decades ago.

BTW, Crossbows are quintessentially Swiss.  Although they may not have invented them, they were reknowned historically for their fine crossbow skills.  Wenger still uses it on their blade stampings

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 04:59:08 PM
I used to shoot a little but since my shoulder surgeries I can't do it anymore. I've considered getting a crossbow but haven't decided yet.

A friend who enjoys bowhunting had shoulder trouble and switched to a crossbow.  He says he wishes he'd done it decades ago.

BTW, Crossbows are quintessentially Swiss.  Although they may not have invented them, they were reknowned historically for their fine crossbow skills.  Wenger still uses it on their blade stampings

That's a very good point.  Remember folks, William Tell was Swiss.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tell

Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:28 PM
I like them all.

I sold a Longbow that pulled 160#. I regret it to this day. It was a beautiful piece and would have looked spectacular on the wall. I had it for a few months but found I could just barely pull the darn thing, and at that, only a few times per day. I had to step into it rather then pull the bow towards me. The thing was a beast, and it shot heavy grained oak arrows with authority. I remember the sound the arrows made when they hit the target and all the people in the indoor range would stop what they were doing and give that funny look.

Oh well.

I am more sensible now and have a PSE Sequoia 50# longbow that I much prefer to use.

Bugger me 90pounds is as high a I've gone, and since my last bike accident that would be pushing it ::)

But 160lbs :o :o

Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 06:29:38 PM
I have to get back into this ATM I'm leaning toward a Samick Spirit II Hunter Take Down Bow 60 lb draw weight  :drool:

A picture of some of my broad heads these of course are just for recreational purposes :D bow hunting is not allowed in these parts  :police: I could however use them at a push if the S**t hit the fan,so to speak  >:D

Nice broad point's mate ;)

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 07:04:24 PM
Interesting :) I always think of a longbow as having a D section and some UK competition regulations say the same - I think it might be a UK thing :)
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 07:23:16 PM
Interesting :) I always think of a longbow as having a D section and some UK competition regulations say the same - I think it might be a UK thing :)

This is where I get my nerdy historical hat on.  The term Longbow seems to almost totally have been a Victorian one.  Ask a chap at Agincourt what he is holding and he'd have looked at you funny and said (slowly in case you are touched in the head ;)) "a bow"  ::)

Also the term Archer seems to have been used, without distinction, for what we would now call bowmen and crossbowmen.

Last thing, and it's an important one, you never "fire" a bow.  You always "loose" or "shoot" a bow (other terms as well I'm sure).  The term "fire" was used in connection to black-powder, literally to set fire to it.  You wouldn't want to set fire to your nice bow now. would you? :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 07:25:29 PM

BTW you're absolutely correct, in modern terms that is exactly how we (in the UK) would define a longbow.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 11:08:26 PM

This is where I get my nerdy historical hat on.  The term Longbow seems to almost totally have been a Victorian one.  Ask a chap at Agincourt what he is holding and he'd have looked at you funny and said (slowly in case you are touched in the head ;)) "a bow"  ::)

Also the term Archer seems to have been used, without distinction, for what we would now call bowmen and crossbowmen.

Last thing, and it's an important one, you never "fire" a bow.  You always "loose" or "shoot" a bow (other terms as well I'm sure).  The term "fire" was used in connection to black-powder, literally to set fire to it.  You wouldn't want to set fire to your nice bow now. would you? :D

Very interesting, thanks :tu:

Although there have been times when setting fire to my bow seemed like a good idea  ;) :)
Prone to daydreaming.

Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:24 AM
 :D :D

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:41 PM
Reviving an old thread to recommend Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell (some editions of it are titled Agincourt in the US). It's a great read provided you don't mind gore - those medievel chaps were brutal :ahhh

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Azincourt-Bernard-Cornwell/dp/0007271220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250888465&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=azincourt&x=0&y=0
Prone to daydreaming.

Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 11:05:40 PM
Reviving an old thread to recommend Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell (some editions of it are titled Agincourt in the US). It's a great read provided you don't mind gore - those medievel chaps were brutal :ahhh
Not read that one of his, but he is great  :)

I'll have to look it up thanks mate :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: August 21, 2009, 11:19:30 PM
I like a lot of Cornwell's stuff, but he can become very formulaic.

If you like that kind of period stuff then "the White Company" by Arthur Conan Doyle is well worth a read.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Hv0JMt3WjsQC&dq=the+white+company&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=Xtt-HfAZ2l&sig=7lqQUtGWBll7YQ9_AZa58A_GAfI&hl=en&ei=mw-PSuyUDJaNjAeCweTfDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=&f=false
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:21:43 PM by Gareth »

Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 11:28:43 PM
I like a lot of Cornwell's stuff, but he can become very formulaic.

If you like that kind of period stuff then "the White Company" by Arthur Conan Doyle is well worth a read.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Hv0JMt3WjsQC&dq=the+white+company&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=Xtt-HfAZ2l&sig=7lqQUtGWBll7YQ9_AZa58A_GAfI&hl=en&ei=mw-PSuyUDJaNjAeCweTfDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Saved to favourites :cheers:

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 22, 2009, 01:43:52 AM
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00