Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What can you tell me about a Wii ? ? ?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
What can you tell me about a Wii ? ? ?
on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:24 PM
I would like to get one for our house - exercise for the family and games for the grandson .
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: What can you tell me about a Wii ? ? ?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:36:46 PM
Not really a gamers system, but its more for a family environment.  Games are interactive and theres not a lot of buttons to learn.  We are seriously considering selling our Xbox360 and going with a wii, as the wife enjoys playing it more, and I haven''t touched the xbox in about 2 months.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:04:26 PM
I personally have a Playstation 3, but I have used the Wii on several occasions. For your grandson and family it would be great! All my friends who have a Wii say it's better when it's not yours. By this I mean it's better to play it occasionally but when you want to play a real game it gets annoying to be moving around etc. But, it will full the exercise for the family and games for the grandson role excellently!

B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:14:30 PM
Great system for those who aren't hardcore gamers.  Games are easy to play, but with lots of room for improvement, friendly graphics, clever design and basically fun.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:08:50 PM
I prefer the Wii to my PS3, for I find the games more entertaining. The Wii makes gaming more interactive and it has the benefit that you can load lots of old classic Nintendo games like Tetris or Super Mario Bros for retro-gaming. It will also take old Gamecube disks, so you can play these games too - I just say Donkey Conga ;)
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:21:15 PM
I like the nintendo 64.
(

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:46:25 PM
I gave my Wii to a colleague whose son has a form of terminal Muscular Dystrophy. I wasn't using it much and thought his young son could incorporate it into physiotherapy (One of the best things I have done, as it works fantastic for that).

Many people buy a Wii to keep fit or to get into shape. The boxing game that it comes with will give you a fairly heavy workout. Add the Wii Fit and you now have a balancing board for use in games like snowboarding etc...
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:06:12 PM
I think the bottom line is that if you want to get a game system to get or keep you in shape, the Wii is in a class by itself.  I don't know of any other system that involved you that much. 

As for getting/keeping in shape itself, well that is something that might be done more effectively by exercise equipment, but then there really isn't any fun to those things, which is why most of them end up with ultra low mileage and laundry piled on them!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 11:51:52 PM
I played wii fit at a friend's place. I thought it was pretty crappy, doesn't even break sweat or anything. His girlfriend love it thou. Me, I'd rather play co-op shooter games with him on PS2/3. Maybe one day when they come out with some good co-op shooter games and light gun I'll consider it.  :D

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 11:59:41 PM
I have a Wii, and the kids (3 girls) love it but I'd say it's strong point is for casual gamers, and for parties/get togethers.  It's a great system that even a non tech savvy person can play and have fun playing games like Wii sports.  You can get a wide variety of people in terms of age/gender/personality an dthey call all enjoy playing the sports.

For more in-depth gaming even the girls will play the PS2 instead.

I have used the Wii exercise board at a friends house and wasn't smitten with it.

Overall the Wii is fun and requires very little learning curve.  The Wii is outselling all other consoles so there are plenty of games available.

Also, you can purchase the Wii internet channel so you can surf the web on your TV( I paid $5).  This also has the extra added benefit of allowing you to play web based Wii games for free.  Check out http://www.wiiplayable.com/   You can also check email and such.
:)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:39:21 AM
I would like to get one for our house - exercise for the family and games for the grandson .

For what your looking for, the Wii would be a good fit.  Like most "exercise," it's only beneficial if you commit to using it regularly.  I've got the Wii Fit, and I'm still fat :D  (my favorite is the ski jump!)

For family gaming, I don't know if there's anything better.  My wife and I spend time together playing games, and the kids join us quite a bit to play things like Wii Sports and Mario Party.  There are a bunch of family type games that are decent and don't cost a lot of money.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:59:38 AM
Boom Blox is a fantastic game...kinda like Jenga on crack.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:01:28 AM

I haven't got that one yet.  The reviews all said it was pretty good.  How interactive is it?  Is it mostly point and shoot?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:03:38 AM
its more like throwing a stone knocking down blocks or grabbing them and pulling them away.....but with twists. Very addictive
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 08:42:48 AM
I have a PS3 good piece of media equipment!

The Wii is great! My physio has been very happy since I got the Wii Fit board :) :tu:
[

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 10:23:38 AM
We have a Wii, and Boom Blox... it was pretty fun for a while, but the difficulty in some levels is really out there... especially the timed missions.

As for fun, it definitely is... the Wii Sports that comes with it keeps you busy for a while, We also picked up Wii Play cause it comes with another controller, and gives you a pile of little games to boot. There are loads of fun family games as many have mentioned that are usually mini games all linked together.

I was disappointed in the lack of media features in the Wii... and it seems you either need to mod it or use hacks to do basic things that the machine is more than capable of doing such as play videos and music from networked computers etc... So while I was hoping the little white box would replace my PVR PC which I only use to view videos, listen to mp3s, or browse photos... I'll have to wait for an Xbox or something else.

Personally I'm also more of a FPS gamer, altho on PC... I can't adjust to FPS games on a console. For the price the Xbox360 really is a bargain, the graphics a lot better, but I hate to support Microsoft in a field they really don't belong in. And the PS3 is just too damn expensive...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 05:32:05 PM
i still play on my commador 64 :D :D

no my wife got me a wii last year (came into a little cash) and we play it with my kids from time to time.  its a great system and if you are not into gaming (like halo or something like that) its sweet
'

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:54:41 PM
i still play on my commador 64 :D :D

no my wife got me a wii last year (came into a little cash) and we play it with my kids from time to time.  its a great system and if you are not into gaming (like halo or something like that) its sweet

Never had a commodor 64, but I do have a Spectrum 128k.  :D  I love the whole loading tape sound.
I'm back!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:32 AM
ive only tried the wii sport with a friend......the tennis is very addictive and fun :D
A

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 03:13:00 PM
I played wii fit at a friend's place. I thought it was pretty crappy, doesn't even break sweat or anything.

Wiis don't have sweat glands, silly.

Wii is perfect for young kids.  As Zack mentioned, it's not really a gamer console and instead, is more of a fun, casual, "party game" system.  The games are all perfect for younger kids and most of them are physically interactive which keeps everyone fit.  Wii also has peripherals that you can buy which makes some games even more enjoyable.  (Steering wheel, exercise board, sports pack etc.)

Of the three major game consoles (Sony PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii), Wii is the best choice for younger gamers
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 02:31:18 PM
The Wii outsells the others by a large margin. That should tell you something right there.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 03:00:19 PM
The Wii outsells the others by a large margin. That should tell you something right there.

The lower price also has something to do with that.  PS3 is $400 CAD, Xbox 360 Pro is $300 and Wii is $250-280.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%