Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Minimal carry...what would you choose?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Minimal carry...what would you choose?
on: April 30, 2007, 04:35:13 AM
I assume most of us can carry a ton of stuff everyday with our 'regular' everyday clothes, but what are the bare essential tools you would carry while wearing a dress* suit?  Nothing hanging from the belt either...

I've been carrying a multi every day for about 6 months, and I already feel naked without a plier based tool on me when I go out...and a lighter...and mini pry bar...and a SAK...and a small (2.75") fixed blade... 

The Juice series looks ideal for the type of carry I'm trying to accomodate...I just bought a s2 from Def that should fit the bill.  I'll probably carry the Juice, a small Peanut Lighter I might pick up from www.countycomm.com, and a Soldier model SAK.

Any other suggestions/ideas?  I thought of this today while buying a nice black suit...While EDCing gear, you go for the small size but maximum usability...but without a belt and fairly thin pockets of a suit compared to jeans...you have to downsize even further.

*I specified "dress" suit because I know some of you will respond with what they carry with their wet suit, rescue suit, space suit.. ;)
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Minimal carry...what would you choose?
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 06:48:15 AM
Not that I dress up that often..but the most minimal I go is an Alox Bantam,and the ever present Vic Manager and Photon 3 on the keyring,I do have a Juice KF4 I could slip in the pocket,,but I've held off until I get another..I'm a fanatic about the principle of having an"heir and a spare,much to the exasperation of my wife,and household budget.
I

Offline knife-man

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 11:47:27 PM
I carried my wave and a custom lock knife at my brother's wedding .. I was a usher .. They all laughed until my brother handed out the watches as gift's for all the usher's .. naturally they all wanted them adjusting  O0. .. then my auntie's car broke down and we needed to borrow some speaker wire from my dad's car.

Ive been after a sideclip for ages after my last was stolen .. for me it's the Ideal Bare minimum tool which is completely legal over here .. its such a pity they stopped making them.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 02:08:12 AM
For minimal carry an dressy options I like to stick to small pocket tools like the Gerber Clutch, Leatherman Squirts, SOG CrossCut/CrossGrip and so on.  I also stick to SAKs for full sized tools- a Soldier or a Farmer coupled with a CrossGrip certainly works well enough in almost every situation.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:16:36 AM
Carry a small flashlight (e.g., an Arc AAA-P) and a lightweight plastic whistle on a neckchain.  Goes with any wardrobe.
neck-chain.jpg
* neck-chain.jpg (Filesize: 34.65 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:39:42 AM
Another vote for the SideClip here. It's nice and thin, and meets my two primary needs: Pliers, and a knife.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 04:59:22 PM
I assume most of us can carry a ton of stuff everyday with our 'regular' everyday clothes, but what are the bare essential tools you would carry while wearing a dress* suit?  Nothing hanging from the belt either...
For "monkey-suit mode" I carry just a LM Juice SC4 (special model made for Costco; knife blade, scissors, corkscrew+assist, bottle opener); if I want to go lighter still, a Vic Compact works well; for absolute minimalism, my Vic Alox Executive is da bomb.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 05:56:08 PM
A SAK is about the only thing I can't do without.

When "dressed" and in minimalist mode, I usually carry the following tools:

SAK: Cadet, Executive or Golfer
Keychain LED (Fauxton)
1AAA flashlight
Fisher Bullet clipped to wallet
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:59:00 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:20:57 AM
BTW, unless I miss my guess, the rumored new Freestyle from Leatherman will be a good minimalist carry candidate. 

With only a knife, pliers, and a couple screwdriver bits, it should be slim enough....and the skeletonized frame should keep it lightweight.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline knife-man

Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 03:11:38 PM
BTW, unless I miss my guess, the rumored new Freestyle from Leatherman will be a good minimalist carry candidate. 

(Image removed from quote.)

With only a knife, pliers, and a couple screwdriver bits, it should be slim enough....and the skeletonized frame should keep it lightweight.

Have you got any other details on this?
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 03:12:55 PM
there is a specific thread about the freestyle in the leatherman forums  :) Suppose better to discuss this there than go OT here  ;)

Offline knife-man

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 03:38:55 PM
there is a specific thread about the freestyle in the leatherman forums  :) Suppose better to discuss this there than go OT here  ;)

I just found it right after I posted that.
[

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 12:21:25 AM
The Arc AAA-P, which is on my keyring, always goes everywhere with me. I usually carry my Leatherman Core, but I'm saving up for a Spirit-S.
Splat

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 01:49:41 PM
I guess a Spirit (with nylon pouch!) would be slim and light enough to carry, but since belt-carried tools are not to be considered, I would pick my Victorinox Sportsman. It has a blade, file, cap-lifter, can-opener, corkscrew and an awl. Enough for a wedding or a funeral, which are the only two occasions where you may find me wearing a full dress suit. I wouldn't take a flashlight with me, but if I had to I'd choose one I've bought recently. It's a "Implux" (not a famous brand, I agree, but I paid only 6 euro for it and it's a gooood slim flashlight). It has three led's powered by two AAA batteries.

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 07:24:43 PM
My favorite, bare minimum carry, is the Leatherman Mini -Tool  and a Victorinox Scientist. Both models are discontinued, but are still obtainable with E-Bay and patience.
"

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 04:10:39 AM
I have my Arc-AAA P on my keychain and my Charge Ti hanging in my pocket for most all my "dress" occasions.  If I have a suit coat on, the charge is in the watch pocket of the coat.  :grin:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 04:35:51 AM
How thick are the scales of a Juice?  Putting a pocket clip on one woulden't be a bad idea...

I really should handle/use a tool before I decide to mod it  :grin:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44