Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just Bought a Cybertool

Offline Thargor

Just Bought a Cybertool
on: May 06, 2007, 05:32:04 PM
A Cybertool 41 Sapphire to be exact:

Features:
   1. Large Blade
   2. Small Blade
   3. Bit Wrench
   4. Bit Case
   5. 5mm Hex Socket
   6. 4mm Hex Socket
   7. #8 Torx Bit
   8. #10 Torx Bit
   9. #15 Torx Bit
  10. #2 Phillips Head Bit
  11. 4mm Hex Bit
  12. 4mm Flat Head
  13. #0 Pozidrive Bit
  14. #1 Pozidrive Bit
  15. Ball Point Pen
  16. DIP Switch Setter (use pen)
  17. Can Opener
  18. 3mm Small Screwdriver
  19. Bottle Opener
  20. 6mm Large Screwdriver
  21. Wire Stripper
  22. Reamer
  23. Sewing Eye
  24. Corkscrew
  25. Mini Screwdriver
  26. Straight Pin
  27. Key Ring
  28. Toothpick
  29. Tweezers
  30. Pliers
  31. Wire Cutter
  32. Wire Crimper
  33. Scissors
  34. Hook
  35. Metal Saw and
  36. File
  37. Nail File and
  38. Cleaner
  39. Wood saw
  40. Fine screwdriver
  41. Wood Chisel

I never replaced my only SAK after I snapped the blade off it at work a while ago, it was a brandless silver thing, pretty big, 3.5 inches with big and small Vic-style blades/pliers/scissors/saw/Philips/magnifying glass/bottle and can openers/awl, everything you can think of including the tiny screwdriver that screws into the corkscrew really, Im sure one of the SOSAK people can tell me what it was a rip-off of, it served me well for years even though it only cost $2.00. Im going to see if I can replace the blade with one from a broken SAK at home, Im going to try adding wooden scales aswell (Ive been reading a lot of SOSAK lately and Im starting to think I might have found the hobby I was looking for in that thread I made a while ago :D).

Anyway thats a thread for another day, back to the Cybertool... Does anyone have one? What do you think of it? I want a decent SAK and I figured I already have a Charge TTi and a Swisstool for tackling any heavy jobs so an SAK designed for IT people would be the one for me, especially with that excellent bit holder and driver it has, just wish it had a magnifying glass though, i like to have one of them on me and it seems like a bit of a strange omission seeing as how you might want to examine a delicate part up close before you touch it or something, doesnt matter though, I have a Swisscard Lite in my wallet on me at all times anyway and theres a pretty good one on that if I ever want one. Cant wait to get this now, I was thinking about getting a Swisschamp XLT but Id heard those are extremely awkward to use, and if the drivers on this are good I will be using it so I didnt want to risk it although I was very tempted, anyone got a good Swisschamp review by the way? The ones Ive found have been seriously amateurish...

One last thing, what is that hook in front of the corkscrew at the bottom of the third pic and what does it do?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Just Bought a Cybertool
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 06:10:41 PM
That is the multipurpose hook and it does whatever you want it to do!  It's great for threading laces through boots, carrying parcels that are wrapped with string, twine or those annoying nylon straps, and it is supposed to support something like 200 pounds, so if you ever find yourself sliding off a roof, you can use it to catch a tiny lip of the gutter and maybe save your life.  Provided you weigh less than 200 pounds, and that the gutter can also support that much! :D

The translucent looks great when it's new, but dulls qyuckly and starts to look like crud after a while.  I love to look at it new, but I either don't use them or swap them with other scales because I can't stand the look of scratched up translucent colors.  Maybe not a big deal, but something you might want to be aware of.  Car or metal polish (even toothpaste) can help you restore them a certain amount, but they never really do get as nice as they are when you buy it.

The bit drivers are great, and the XLT is indeed a big sucker.  Probably not a good choice for the spaces IT guys have to squish into- I worked security for many years and saw many of those tiny places, and also the size of many IT guys, and, well I couldn't figure out how the hell they managed!

As for wooden scales, Rotokids shop on SOSAKOnline is a great place to get started.  www.rotokid.sosakonline.com has many different types of scale materials including many extremely hard to find exotic hardwoods, carbon fiber, g-10 and Micarta.

That's about all I have for now...  I may have more when my brain isn't quite so frazzled! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:18:12 PM
Wow. I don't have anything like that Thargor, it looks beautiful. (I hope it's not TOO beautiful to use though... ;))

Afraid I've got too much of a plier-tool brain...every time I see that Cybertool layer with both the bit driver and the plastic bit carrier, I can't help but wonder how well it would work in a SwissTool?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:37:00 PM
If you want, I can make a review for both the SwissChamp and the XLT!
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 07:41:34 PM
Always happy to have those kinds of review, but I think they'd be better suited to SOSAKOnline.com.

Either way, email them to me when they are ready!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:53 PM
Who says the same review can't be on both sites?
And I'll go write the reviews now. I'm too lazy to put pictures in though :grin: :-\ :P ::)
[

Offline Thargor

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:27:08 PM
Wow. I don't have anything like that Thargor, it looks beautiful. (I hope it's not TOO beautiful to use though... ;))

Afraid I've got too much of a plier-tool brain...every time I see that Cybertool layer with both the bit driver and the plastic bit carrier, I can't help but wonder how well it would work in a SwissTool?
It really is a great looking knife, I wanted one the minute I saw it before I even read the specs...

As for the bit holder and driver, Ive never seen one in real life but I dont think they could be much bigger than the Philips layer on a Swisstool, if they work well then a future release of the Swisstool or Spirit that incorporated them would be a great thing to see wouldn't it?
And I'll go write the reviews now. I'm too lazy to put pictures in though. :grin: :( :P ::)
Id appreciate that, just your general impressions and that, is it actually useful or are most of the tools just in the way? Do you EDC it all or some of the time? Any major grievances with it that I mightnt have thought of? Im still thinking of getting one as a reward for doing mandatory work placement in a hospital for college all day and working in a cinema all night for the next 6 months, Im making a fortune but its killing me :-\

Theres a pretty good video of a Swisschamp here:

EDIT: A second look at your pic Viper and I notice my old SAK was an exact rip-off of a Swisschamp without the tweezers or toothpick slots, they're a lot smaller than I thought then, the XLT musnt be that bad for EDC in that case...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:33:09 PM by Thargor »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 09:45:54 PM

Hehe...something tells me that Viper will take that statement as a compliment.   :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Thargor

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 09:54:59 PM

Hehe...something tells me that Viper will take that statement as a compliment.   :D
:D Woah, didnt even realise, its the first relevant result when you search for "Swisschamp", there must be very few XLT owners in the world if you get coincidences like that. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 10:56:44 PM
And I'll go write the reviews now. I'm too lazy to put pictures in though :grin: :-\ :P ::)

They can be, but I hate using bandwidth on duplications... much easier to link back and forth. 

And I can handle the SwissChamp, but I don't have an XLT so you'll have to do the pictures for it at least.  Either that or I have to put in a sixth (or is it seventh?) order with Felinevet this week...   O0

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 02:33:58 AM
I used to carry a SwissChamp XLT.  It's was  little strange to use at first because of it's thickness but I got used to it.  Here's some picks that I took comparing it to the LM Charge Ti that I posted on this site some time ago
vicvlm.jpg
* vicvlm.jpg (Filesize: 40.58 KB)
vicvlm1.jpg
* vicvlm1.jpg (Filesize: 34.69 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 02:35:47 AM
vicvlm2.jpg
* vicvlm2.jpg (Filesize: 30.5 KB)
vicvlm3.jpg
* vicvlm3.jpg (Filesize: 38.22 KB)
vicvlm4.jpg
* vicvlm4.jpg (Filesize: 31.35 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 02:37:49 AM
vicvlm5.jpg
* vicvlm5.jpg (Filesize: 28.43 KB)
vicvlm6.jpg
* vicvlm6.jpg (Filesize: 34.42 KB)
vicvlm7.jpg
* vicvlm7.jpg (Filesize: 36.19 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 02:40:11 AM
vicvlm8.jpg
* vicvlm8.jpg (Filesize: 32.73 KB)
vicvlm9.jpg
* vicvlm9.jpg (Filesize: 39.6 KB)
"

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 06:12:09 AM

That makes me fell all warm and fuzzy inside :grin:

EDIT: You can also check out my review of the SwissTool here-
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Viperskid
I actually narrate this one, so it's more in-depth.

EDIT 2: NEvermind that last edit, I just found out you guys hated the video since before I joined this site.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:31:06 AM by Viper »
[

Offline Thargor

Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 07:54:48 PM
Its here :D

My thumb was almost amputated in a freak Swiss-tech Utilikey accident yesterday so I cant test it out properly without the bleeding starting again but first impressions are 10/10, first of all let me say that if you have crappy nails like me then this is a good SAK for you, all the major tools can be pulled out easily and the smaller ones can be flicked open with any little stub of a nail at all.

Actually the first thing I should have said is that its HUGE, if someone had showed it to me before Id heard of them I would have said it was a Swisschamp straight away, it looks great though, the translucent blue is a really nice colour on an SAK.

Its a quality tool alright (Victorinox call it a multitool on the box by the way), the spring action on every tool is super powerful and satisfying, it has everything you can think of as you can see from the pics, I dont know why they limited themselves to selling it as a tool for IT people, its definitely the the nicest and most well equipped SAK Ive ever handled.

The best thing about it has to be the driver and the bit-set, a quick test on various screws around my room and it worked flawlessly, it really grabs the screw giving you huge leverage, way better than my Swisstool, and it doesnt feel off centre the way other multis and SAKs do sometimes. The bit-set is under the driver and its thumb-stud that you use to flick it open stands up when its closed to prevent the bit in the driver from slipping out, while the driver lies across the bit-set holder when its closed making it impossible to lose one there either, nice bit of design there.

So, very happy with this in case you hadn't guessed already, the only worry I have is what Def said about translucent scales scratching easily but theres nothing to be done about that, its definitely my SAK of choice so I wont ever be selling it anyway, Ill just EDC it for a while and see what happens.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 11:28:44 PM
Congrats on your great score Thargor! Glad to hear you are liking it.

Stupid question: As big as this knife is, does it come with some sort of sheath? Or are you supposed to just carry it around in your pocket?

Offline Thargor

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 12:16:18 AM
Nope, no sheath, just the standard grey Victorinox box. Im not bothered though, I never use sheaths.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 01:01:01 AM
I've been told that you can judge how happy a SAK guy is by the size of the bulge in his pocket!  :grin:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 07:56:54 PM
Ah my mistake, I was confusing the cybertool with the swiss champ XLT (since they both have the bit driver), which is what my brother has, and is absolutely massive. The cybertool is much thinner, and has a very nice set of tools on it, I would have a hard time choosing between the different cybertools though, would want minimal weight and thickness on one hand, and most tools on the other.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:27 PM
Simple answer... get both!

Def

Offline Thargor

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 09:43:00 PM
Is there a post missing there or something ???

If you're thinking of getting one of these Raukodur then I think you should go with the 41(the biggest), it has everything you can think of but if it was missing a saw or whatever they took out of the smaller models it would be a big loss, you can use a 41 out in the woods or at work the way its configured.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%