Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Atwood Shootout!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Atwood Shootout!
on: August 30, 2009, 02:25:11 AM
Over the last couple of weeks, I've gotten my hands on a few Atwood tools.  If you've never seen one in person, they are miniature works of art with Multitool functionality.  Each fits neatly in a pocket, on a keychain or around a neck.  Each functions as advertised.  All are made of high quality materials: S30V Stainless Steel or Aircraft Grade Titanium.  And now for the show:

This shows 3 of the tools.  On the left is the Wild Card.  On the upper right, the famous Atwrench and the lower right shows the Sharktooth.

The formidable Atwrench.  One of Peter Atwood's first tools.  This version sports a standard alligator wrench, bottle opener and prytip.  This tool is pure quality.  It may be my favorite.  The wrench fits as well as any Snap-on open end wrench ever has.  The tool has enough torque to apply a fair amount of force to a nut/bolt--mind you, it won't break free a rusted up nut, but I'm sure I could get 30-40 ft-lbs on it.

The bottle opener is flawless.  Even when tipsy, it makes quick work of the cap with little effort.  I haven't used the pry tip yet, but man, it's almost too beautiful to try.

The Sharktooth.  It was my first Atwood.  This tool has a 1/4 inch driver, a slot for 1 bit, bottle opener and a short, very useful blade.  It comes with a nice Kydex sheath for keychain carry.  The blade works like an extension of your finger tip.  It's not a high precision cutting utensil, it's a utility blade.

The bit driver holds the bit in place with a clever O ring design:

Just like the Atwrench, the bottle opener is flawless.

The Wild Card. This tool is a bit of a surprise.  It has the most tools of the set.  The tool is designed to be carried in a wallet.  Hence it comes without a sheath.  I managed to cobble together a Kydex sheath which clicks nicely in place for keychain carry.  The tools include standard and metric alligator wrenches, 1/4 hex hole for bits or 1/4 inch nuts, bottle opener with 5/16 inch open wrench and blade.  I thought this would be the ultimate.  Because of the dimensions of this tool, all the features are somewhat compromised.  The bottle opener is the least effective of the group.  It works but takes more effort and occasionally doesn't remove the cap on the first try.  The wrenches fit as well as the Atwrench, but it's harder to apply torque to it.  The 1/4 inch driver hole doesn't have the Oring to hold the bit in place. The blade is very effective however. The tool is great on a keychain, but is somewhat of a compromise.

Here is the three tools lined up on edge.

All are excellent tools, but I suspect I'll be carrying the Atwrench most of the time.

As a little bonus, here is a Tropical Anodized Atwood Bermuda Triangle.

My wife is wearing it as functional jewelry.  It sports a bottle opener, wrench for an oxygen tank, 1/4 bit driver and a 7/8 inch hex in the center. 

I don't think I'm gonna get this one back.  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Atwood Shootout!
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:36:45 AM
They look like a great combination of form and function Mr W. :) One of these days I hope to see one first hand. Thanks for the comparison pics. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:51:33 AM
They do look very cool.
I like the look of the Atwrench the best.
Thanks for the review Mr Whipper. :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:57:32 AM
Mat and Bob are wondering if Atwood will ever design a plier tool..... ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 03:58:10 AM

You mean anything worthy of being called a tool? ... or art?

*coughs* Hack! *coughs*
Got those frog legs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:59:42 AM

*coughs* Hack! *coughs*

Hey, we're trying to be supportive here! :twak: :D

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 04:00:42 AM
So... I looked up the description for the Funnybone on Peter's website and it features separate SAE and metric wrench sizes. On the other hand, McFeely's PocketWrench II is also supposed to support both SAE and metric sizes, but from a single wrench hole set. Judging from online pictures, the PW seems to manage this by interleaving dents for SAE and metrics sizes, however making each indentation "shallower". Is there someone owning and having used both to comment on their comparative performance? From the looks of it, I'd expect the PW to slip more but this is just a hunch... :think:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 04:02:24 AM

*coughs* Hack! *coughs*

Hey, we're trying to be supportive here! :twak: :D

Ah, sorry, I keep forgetting we're all supposed to be enabling... what's the opposite of an intervention? :think:

So... I looked up the description for the Funnybone on Peter's website and it features separate SAE and metric wrench sizes. On the other hand, McFeely's PocketWrench II is also supposed to support both SAE and metric sizes, but from a single wrench hole set. Judging from online pictures, the PW seems to manage this by interleaving dents for SAE and metrics sizes, however making each indentation "shallower". Is there someone owning and having used both to comment on their comparative performance? From the looks of it, I'd expect the PW to slip more but this is just a hunch... :think:

You could just buy 8 of the pocket wrenches and stack them for more grip... XD
Got those frog legs.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 04:05:05 AM

Imagine the price bracket it would fall in  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 04:05:18 AM
Definitely not a SwissTool or LM Charge, but when you consider he's one man, producing these cool little gadgets...

Well, who can argue with "Chance favors the prepared pocket"?

Seriously, you have to actually test these things out to really appreciate how well designed they are.

Re: Pocketwrench vs Atwood.  

The Atwood wrench fits snug.  Like a Snapon wrench.  No free play. When engaged, there won't be rounding of the corners due to slop in the fit.  I used a PW years ago, and while it worked, the ridges were more interference fit than exact fit.

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 06:35:42 AM
I like the Atwrench :)

Nice overview of the tools :)
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 09:44:21 AM
Very fine comparisons mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 12:10:09 PM
What a cool idea  :salute: I would definitely give them a try  :drool:
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 06:19:37 PM

I had both at one point and then quickly sold on the Pocketwrench.  In terms of quality and "bite" on the nut, there was just no comparison IMO, the Atwood was far more solid and as Mr W said, far less slippage.

Atwoods are awesome and I do hope to get more (anyone got a full sized Ti GasBaby?  :pok:). 
I'm back!!

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 06:38:38 PM
I must say that effectively all of Peter's tools look nice, but the only one I could really see myself going after is a G4 Prybaby with US sizes. *shrugs*

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 06:39:18 AM

Ti G3 without anodizing  ( Born 8/5/2009 )

Nice write up on the Atwood's Mr. W
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:42:43 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 12:37:09 PM

Atwood Ti CookieWrench - just got this one today.

Atwood Titanium Cookie Wrenches measure 2.25" in diameter and are made of 1/8" thick stock. They are based loosely on antique lantern wrench designs from the 1940's. Features include 1/4 and 5/16 hex openings, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2" wrenches, 5/16 open end wrench/bottle opener, oxygen bottle wrench, lanyard and center 7/8" hex opening.This batch is lightly bead blasted and anodized a rich rose gold color.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 12:45:10 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Ti G3 without anodizing  ( Born 8/5/2009 )

Nice write up on the Atwood's Mr. W

Me want!!! I've really been lusting over one of these forever!
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 05:11:31 PM
Atwood Ti CookieWrench - just got this one today.

Atwood Titanium Cookie Wrenches measure 2.25" in diameter and are made of 1/8" thick stock. They are based loosely on antique lantern wrench designs from the 1940's. Features include 1/4 and 5/16 hex openings, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2" wrenches, 5/16 open end wrench/bottle opener, oxygen bottle wrench, lanyard and center 7/8" hex opening.This batch is lightly bead blasted and anodized a rich rose gold color.

That looks kind of painful and or awkward to use.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 06:09:34 PM
I am in the same boat as you Whippy, I have become quite the Atwood Addict. I have 8 different tools and I use to rotate them around but I seem to carry the G3 Prybaby the most. I like it because it's so densely packed with tools I need everyday. The wrench fits most nuts I may encounter (SAE), the bottle opener has yet to be tested but I have not gotten around to it. The forks can be used for prying but I use them more for screwdrivers, they fit a slotted/flat (what is the right name?) and phillips heads, also the v-notch can strip wires too. My second favorite is probably the Crawdaddy, pretty much the same functions minus the bottle opener and a slot for a dedicated phillips. I never thought I would get into Atwoods, I always thought it was like being a millions miles from one. But thanks to this great forum and the awesome folks who reside here I have been able to check them out.
DSC03052 (Small).JPG
* DSC03052 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 51.83 KB)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 12:07:01 AM
Dave, can I please have your GasBaby?

Cheers mate  :cheers: :D
I'm back!!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 02:41:06 AM
Only if I can have your funnybone  :D I am fixing to get rid of my Ti Funnybone and are going to need a replacement, unless of course you have a good offer for me  ;)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 02:45:04 AM
Only if I can have your funnybone  :D I am fixing to get rid of my Ti Funnybone and are going to need a replacement, unless of course you have a good offer for me  ;)

Got piccies?  :drool:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 02:46:54 AM
... If you still want a Funnybone, why are you selling the one you already have? o.o;

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 02:58:24 AM
Cause I want one that is not Ti, I don't think the Ti makes for a good wrench, I prefer steel. Plus I am getting something good in trade for my funnybone.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 03:32:08 AM
Makes sense, then. XD

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 04:21:46 AM
I am in the same boat as you Whippy, I have become quite the Atwood Addict. I have 8 different tools and I use to rotate them around but I seem to carry the G3 Prybaby the most. I like it because it's so densely packed with tools I need everyday. The wrench fits most nuts I may encounter (SAE), the bottle opener has yet to be tested but I have not gotten around to it. The forks can be used for prying but I use them more for screwdrivers, they fit a slotted/flat (what is the right name?) and phillips heads, also the v-notch can strip wires too. My second favorite is probably the Crawdaddy, pretty much the same functions minus the bottle opener and a slot for a dedicated phillips. I never thought I would get into Atwoods, I always thought it was like being a millions miles from one. But thanks to this great forum and the awesome folks who reside here I have been able to check them out.

Ohmygawd, that picture is positively decedent! :o I don't even want to look at it for fear I'll catch the Atwood bug....and start to develope those cravings. :drool: I've got enough expensive collections going already! Get me outa here Mr Wizard! :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 05:15:36 AM
Great writeup Mr. W :cheers: luv all the pics in the whole thread as well :drool: They sure pack a wallop in size to tool ratio :o I may find myself picking 1 up some day :tu:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 05:22:35 AM

You will have one soon enough my friend!  ;)
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 05:39:20 AM

You will have one soon enough my friend!  ;)

What about meee?!
Got those frog legs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21