Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why does it....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Why does it....
on: May 09, 2007, 05:03:38 PM
Take longer to choose what multitool you are going to wear today than anything else?  Pants... clean?  Check.  Shirt... ironed?  Check.  Belt... same one as yesterday.  Check.  Socks... not too smelly?  Check.

Multitool?  Well I have a pretty light day planned so maybe one of the Juices, and I have one grey and one blue sock so I could go with either the CS4 or the  C2, but then I'd miss the one handed opening.  I guess I could bring my Endura, but that Spyderedge is a pain to resharped, so maybe I should grab the Charge.  Of course the Spirit rides a bit better on the belt and those smooth lines look better when I am caught playing with it in the meeting.  Of course if poo hits the fan I am going to need a heavier tool, and the car has been making some funny sounds lately...

Anyone else have this problem?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Why does it....
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:26:21 PM
yep :grin:

Its even worse if im going down the woods!

but yeah women have got easy just choosing what to wear, they have,nt got to consider all the possible crap that the day can throw at them, and then having to chose the tool to see them through :grin: :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline znapschatz

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:59:14 PM
Take longer to choose what multitool you are going to wear today than anything else?  Pants... clean?  Check.  Shirt... ironed?  Check.  Belt... same one as yesterday.  Check.  Socks... not too smelly?  Check.

Multitool?  Well I have a pretty light day planned so maybe one of the Juices, and I have one grey and one blue sock so I could go with either the CS4 or the  C2, but then I'd miss the one handed opening.  I guess I could bring my Endura, but that Spyderedge is a pain to resharped, so maybe I should grab the Charge.  Of course the Spirit rides a bit better on the belt and those smooth lines look better when I am caught playing with it in the meeting.  Of course if poo hits the fan I am going to need a heavier tool, and the car has been making some funny sounds lately...

Anyone else have this problem?

Def

At the point it started to become a problem, I adjusted attitude, like so:

If I know what tools are going to be necessary, I pack along the dedicated tools or an appropriate multi-tool.  If I don't know what will be needed (most of the time),  I just grab whatever I feel like carrying, using or playing with at the moment.  That can be on the basis of trying out something new, comparing similar products, or just plain whim. 

Sometimes I find myself wishing I had brought along one rather than another, but that happens seldom.  Truth is, almost any well made multitool will do in most circumstances when you need something like that.   On the rare occasions I can't carry or am not allowed to, I don't stew about it.   Most people have a life without multitools, so can I (at least, for a while  :)). 

BTW, if you are traveling in your own car, why would you be concerned about your multitool when a well equipped kit of dedicated tools rides in the trunk? ???  :grin:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21:00 PM
I actually don't leave a tool kit in the trunk.  where I live, if I was to do something like that, It'd have some nice red dust in my trunk when the car broke down!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:02:55 PM
I actually don't leave a tool kit in the trunk.  where I live, if I was to do something like that, It'd have some nice red dust in my trunk when the car broke down!

Def
is it really that wet were you live?

in the uk were famous for our rain, i didnt think any one had as many wet days as the uk
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:17:34 PM
I think one of the problems here is the humidity, not so much the rain.  It gets fairly warm here and rains alot, so you get great weather for rust and corrosion.  Plus, the privince puts salt on th eorads all winter long to combat ice development, and in the spring that runoff adds to the already high salt content in the air.

I left a Cold Steel AUS 8 blade in the car for a week and it had some rust spots on it.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:44 AM
I don't have a huge collection of multis...Before I go to bed I set up what I'm taking the next morning on my desk, (along with my clothes...much easier to grab a pile of clothes and run to the shower with one eye open than pick everything out while sleeping.)

But back to multis...the best I own is my SOG black oxide PowerLock...no big decision on what to carry.  it's probably the pinnacle of the "old style" folding pliers...no gimmicks, gadgets, or exotic steels...just a heavy duty user.  The leather sheath is nice to.
[

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:54:01 AM
I once heard it said that the best survival knife you can ever own is the one you have with you at the time. ::)

I would rather have a ratty torn up SAK in my pocket then a $100.00+ Leatherman setting on my dresser. :multi:

The man that cut off his own leg after the tree fell on him and pinned him. Used a $3.00 knife he just bought at a flea market. Matter of fact he had to sharpen it on a rock before he could use it. :o

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 02:33:50 AM
I have that problem, not as much in the morning since no knives allowed in school :-\
But during the summer, at work, it got to the point where I had 4 or 5 knives on my belt at a time. Now, for work I have a tool belt, since I carry twice as many things these days. For every day things I carry my SwissTool, and sometimes my XLT.
[

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 05:27:57 AM
 :-\ I have the same problem, only mine involves knifes, tools and all the accessories that go with the whole EDC process!

David

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 07:58:10 PM
But during the summer, at work, it got to the point where I had 4 or 5 knives on my belt at a time.

whoa..can you name them?  Were they all folding knives?
[

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:07:01 AM
Yeah, let me think-
Zippo knife engraved with the company's name
Stanley Sport Utility Tool, the one with a Japanese/utility blade on one side, and a regular lockblade on the other
Regular Stanley Japanese/utility blade
Stanley LeatherMan style multitool
And in my pockets-
Stanley quick-open pocket Japanese/utility knife
Stanley lockblade knife
Not to mention the tape measure
 :-\
As you can see, I prefer Stanley for industrial jobs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:47:13 AM by Viper »
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69