Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My little screwdriver shootout

Roadie · 17 · 3078

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
My little screwdriver shootout
on: April 29, 2007, 02:27:34 PM
This past couple of weeks i have been taking apart computers and putting them back together more often than i care to think about, its amazing how many screws hold them all together. But i thought, i can turn this into a learning opportunity, its not often that i have (literally) hundreds of screws to tighten and loosen so why not try out all my multitools and see which is the best, at cross head/philips screws.

The line up :-
Gerber MP600 BO
Leatherman Crunch SS
Leatherman Wave (New Style) SS
Victorinox Swisstool SS
Victorinox Climber

The set up :-
Lots of various size screws commonly found in computers.

The verdict :-
MP600 - Quite a large head, fitted the large screws fairly well, but wasnt brilliant on the tiny little ones, took a bit of effort to keep the driver in the head. Was nice to hold in the hand but due to its width not great at getting into small places, and not having butterfly handles restricted it in this as well.

Crunch - Medium sized head, fitted both large and small sizes suprisingly well. Wasn't as easy to use as the others as the handles kept trying to open and not easy to use with the handles opened, too "floppy" (if that makes sense!)

Wave - Using the standard bit, fitted the large screws well but the small ones were a bit too small and suffered the same problem as the gerber but due to the butterfly design of the handles meant i could get into smaller or more awkward positions.

Swisstool - BIG! but quite agile, managed to fit both small and large screw heads well and had a good reach on the driver. Did feel a bit slippery due to the polished nature of the tool.

Climber - not designed for this at all! The fake crosshead on the end of the can opener was not helpful expect for on the big ones on the outside of the case.

All of multitools worked well, but after a couple of hours of using them i went back to a normal screwdriver, quicker and easier, but i could have done it all with my multitools had i had the time.

I think that sums multitools up, great when you have nothing else, but not the be all and end all solution.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, i hope someone finds this helpful!

Ryan
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 02:29:18 PM by Roadie »
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: My little screwdriver shootout
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:50:26 PM
I've found pretty well the same things as you- I like multitools when I am helping a friend with their computer at their place, but at home I usually use a Black & Decker power screwdriver.  It's amazing how tired your wrist can get undoing 20 little screws, then having to drive them back in!

Unfortunately multitools also don't incorporate many of the ergonomic functions found in dedicated tools nowadays which reduce fatigue and the chances of tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome, so while they are handy, I agree they don't replace the "right" tool.  But then, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 04:25:30 PM
Same experience here when it comes to "multitool -vs- regular tool" decisions, bit I find it varies depending on the task in question. If pliers are needed, I don't feel handicapped in the least by using a multitool. Same with most knife-related tasks...there's never an urge to go get a dedicated blade if all I'm doing is cutting up boxes or slicing an apple.

But driving screws is the toughest comparison for a multitool (IMO). After about the first screw, I'm walking back to my toolbox and looking for a dedicated screwdriver. For all of the reasons Roadie pointed out, current multitool design doesn't compare very well on screwdriving.

Which is why I wish SOMEBODY would come out with a ratcheting bit driver on their multi.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 06:17:15 PM
One of the advantedges of the swisstool is this ....

Or opening the handles all the way so its straight , but I dont look at everything about the swisstool with rose tinted glasses and realise that the phillips has its downside but it does ok and the other flat end drivers can be used in a pinch for certain crossheads . But how I see it the multitool is there to help you out when its all youve got , a happy medium if you like .

Dunc

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 06:28:20 PM
I've gone to using a bit driver whenever I can now for all my screwdriver needs.  Not only can you use a ratcheting driver, but you can also replace the bit when it gets stripped.  I'm sure that's why LM went to bit drivers in its higher-line multis. 

A multitool standard driver only works in a pinch for me, & then I usually prefer an LM knife since you can spin the knife more like a regular screwdriver & it has pretty well-milled drivers.

Tom

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 06:37:55 PM
Should have had a Vic Cybertool to use. Any power driver to build the case but a Cybertool for fitting out the inside. Everything you need is there in the one tool.

Dave

us Offline Splat

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 12:24:07 AM
Should have had a Vic Cybertool to use. Any power driver to build the case but a Cybertool for fitting out the inside. Everything you need is there in the one tool.

Yeah, but they don't lock. Believe me, I would've bought one immediately the first time I seen one up close if the tools locked. That's why I went with a LM Core. Great drivers on the Core, and they lock in place.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 12:43:55 AM
SAKs (real ones anyways) are held open with somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 kilos of pressure- that's about 40 pounds.  For most applications, especially computer apps, 40 pounds of pressure is much more than you are likely to apply, and so a lock really isn't all that necessary.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 01:34:37 AM
Get another look at the Cybertool, the bit driver is held open by 2 separate standard springs. It not only has bits that fit all the screws found inside a computer but the end is opened out to use as a nut driver for the older RS232 and printer connectors to adjust them if necessary. The little pliers have a spring that is double the width of the standard springs. I have used the blades (mainly the small one) for striping wire for other jobs but I have never needed them for a computer. Thankfully it gets plenty of work  ;) and nothing has ever closed on me and I use nothing else for building/repairing computers plus the odd small electrical repair. Even the little pin gets plenty of work. Bigger jobs I have a pair of multi-tools for but I consider them too chunky for inside a computer.

Dave

Offline Thargor

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:06:21 PM
Thats music to my ears, I just bought a Cybertool 41 and I build pcs :D

Offline damota

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:46:08 PM

I guess I should not say this but don't be tempted to use either the file or the saw any where near the computer. They do not like any filling and the dust would be a bitch to get out.
It is the only SAK I have had since one I bought years ago (30+yrs) that I did not like at all but I think of the Cybertool as the perfect tool for its job. I got a 31 just after it came out and have used it ever since. (Def may let us know how long that is) Hope you get the same pleasure in using it.  :cheers:

Dave

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 08:58:37 PM
forgive my ignorance, but how many of the tools on the cybertool are actually useful in what you do? Its a huge tool isn't it, so am I wrong in thinking its so useful just because it has the bit driver and set on it as opposed to some thinner SAKs which lack that specific element but may have all other tools you find useful?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 09:10:52 PM
I am not exactly certain how long the Cybertools have been around.  Late 90's I'd guess, but then I have been wrong before.  I don't have any dealer's cats before '03.

Def

Offline Thargor

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 12:39:45 AM

I guess I should not say this but don't be tempted to use either the file or the saw any where near the computer. They do not like any filling and the dust would be a bitch to get out.
It is the only SAK I have had since one I bought years ago (30+yrs) that I did not like at all but I think of the Cybertool as the perfect tool for its job. I got a 31 just after it came out and have used it ever since. (Def may let us know how long that is) Hope you get the same pleasure in using it.  :cheers:

Dave
Filing inside a pc sounds like a good way to build up a charge in there aswell, which is a very bad idea the way today's parts are so delicate, especially RAM. I cant wait to get this now :D

forgive my ignorance, but how many of the tools on the cybertool are actually useful in what you do? Its a huge tool isn't it, so am I wrong in thinking its so useful just because it has the bit driver and set on it as opposed to some thinner SAKs which lack that specific element but may have all other tools you find useful?
I just really wanted an SAK after my last one broke, especially since I started reading SOSAK and started getting the urge to try making my own scales and stuff, and the Cybertool just seemed to have exactly what I wanted in an SAK more than any other one Ive ever seen, not just the bitset, everything else aswell (plus the blue one is incredible looking), I saw one going for $60 on Ebay with free postage to Europe so I grabbed it. I seem to have a problem with impulse buying when Im reading this forum, I bought a Swiss-Tech Utilikey today aswell...

Offline damota

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 01:31:13 AM

The bottle opener and tin opener are not much use as a tool but that layer also has the awl on it and I have found uses for that. I suppose they might be of use sometime if there is no cafe about and I forget my packed lunch.  ;)
The corkscrew is as much use as a chocolate fire guard but is essential for holding the dinky little screw driver. All the rest of the tools I have used, some more a lot more than others. I swapped the pin for a map pin and even that gets used quite a lot. As with all these Vic knives the scales are poor and mine got a chunk broken off within months of my getting it but thanks to Rotokid mine now has sexy black scales, as Def said he also supplies other blanks to get you started for making your own.
I only use this knife for computers and other small electronic items, it has every thing I need apart from a soldering iron. By the way it uses 4mm mini bits so you are not restricted to the bits Vic supplies with the knife although they are hard to get in the UK.

Dave

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 01:46:20 AM
The image I'm still getting is of the cybertool being the SAK of choice because of the bit driver which isnt on any other SAK.

My brother has a cybertool (not sure of the exact model, may be the biggest on, damn chunky beast), and I couldn't imagine using 75% of the tools on there. Maybe that's just me.

If the bit driver and set could be on any SAK of your choice, which one would you choose, i.e. which one would have the minimum amount of implements with which you could get by doing everything you want?

Of course this is a hypothetical question since the bit driver is only on the cybertool, but, well itd might help people who are considering EDCing the leatherman freestyle when it comes out, and a SAK to complement it. Personally I wouldn't want to carry something as fat as a cybertool, because as I said, I doubt I would be using many of the functions on it (plus the freestyle has a bit driver on it).

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 06:06:40 AM
That Cybertool bit driver does seem like it would be useful...and putting it in a narrower SAK is a good idea.

I wonder...have any of the SOSAKOnline guys done a slim mod that included the Cybertool driver?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%