Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where do all the tools go?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Where do all the tools go?
on: April 27, 2007, 06:08:27 PM
So I've been thinking about this since I sent my Charge into Leatherman for repair. Some years ago I returned a busted Wave to Leatherman for warranty repair. The warranty center contacted me and told me they could not repair the tool and were replacing it with a new tool. I accepted the new tool but could not help wondering where the old one went. As you can see from the picture the only problems with this tool are the busted plier head and the broken knife blade. If I had this tool now I would surely keep it and grind down the head and blade.

I wonder what happened to the rest of the implements that were used but still very functional? Does Leatherman dispose of these types of tools when they recieve them? Do they refurbish the parts and use them elsewhere?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Where do all the tools go?
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:00:50 AM
That's my best guess, but I honestly don't know.  This is something I have wodered about pretty often myself as well.

Perhaps I should contact Leatherman and ask?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 06:16:10 AM
My guess would be that they destroy the old ones. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to refurbish them, methinks.

Still, wouldn't it be great to find their second-hand stash?!  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 06:57:45 AM
Methinks I need to buy a very large lunchbox before signing up for that ol' Leatherman factory tour.  >:D

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:58:21 AM
it is a real shame they dont sell them on. If some of the modders on this board could get hold of old leathermans, however damaged, I am sure we would be having custom tools pouring out of our ears.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 11:37:20 AM
I think that might be part of the problem- some companies don't like folks mucking about with their designs.  That's why Leatherman uses those security bits to keep us out of them!

Besides, less scrupulous folks could make fancy tools and try to sell them to us unsuspecting collectors as new variants.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 12:09:06 PM
theres diffrent ways to get rid of them.

one company i now, on usa, traditional knives, long time in buiseness, they refurbish that knives/tool to an "useful shape" and spend them an church organisation that give them out free say in africa to the poor that use them up.

my swissbianco seconds go into "destructive" tests or to poor people to get used up.

sure some companys put them into the recikling bin, get the metal price back. one us company sells them with an s stamped/marked in the handle on an lower price and some pocketknives i saw with the brand name xed out to say thats seconds.

will ask tops/gatco-timberline as i get an chance what they do.

what make me think is where all those tools and knives, the new ones, goes. ok some use them but we all have sure way to many of those and joust collect them. piles of them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 12:13:46 PM
Stockpiling makes the most sense to me.  That way they have a ready supply of parts for discontinued models.  If you send in a PST II with a broken file, they just grab a PST II out of the pile with a broken screwdriver, take the file out of it and repair yours, then send it back to you.

At least that's wht I would do, but then, as I have mentioned before, I think that's why the fine folks at Leatherman all drive nicer cars than I do!

Def

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 01:20:41 PM
what? they have cars in canada ;)

the parts they chance have to be brand new or at least verry good condition. also by cheap products, look at it, disassy, look for replacement parts and reassy is more expensive than an new one.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 02:18:58 PM
Of course we have cars in Canada... here's me in my new SUV...

You have a point about the cost, but some folks really want their old tools back, so it would be worthwhile for that at least.

Def

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 08:50:52 PM
no wonder you loose all my toys - by that trunk.

sentimental things have an to high value.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 04:32:14 AM
I forgot to post this sooner, but here's the answer I got back from Leatherman:

Not a silly question at all. We recycle the parts we can't use, but most of the tools we fix/adjust/improve and give back to the person who sent it in for warranty.
Thanks!

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 07:03:23 AM
I forgot to post this sooner, but here's the answer I got back from Leatherman:

Not a silly question at all. We recycle the parts we can't use, but most of the tools we fix/adjust/improve and give back to the person who sent it in for warranty.
Thanks!

Def

Oh. Thanks for the follow-up. Makes the most sense I suppose.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 02:10:15 PM
Marketing folks are great at most things we need, but often don't have the kind of detailed answers we want.  Maybe later on sometime I'll try and squeeze a bit more info from her!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 02:58:12 PM
Marketing folks are great at most things we need, but often don't have the kind of detailed answers we want.  Maybe later on sometime I'll try and squeeze a bit more info from her!

Def

Somehow that doesn't sound quite right.  ;) 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%