Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 Weeks with the Gerber Suspension.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
2 Weeks with the Gerber Suspension.
on: May 10, 2007, 01:38:27 AM
Ok 2 weeks ago I brought the new kid we took in to Wallmart. She needed a bike and lets face the facts. At 5 years old it was well past due. I am just glad we got her.

So before we went home I passed the closeout counter and found the suspension for 17$. I figured it was a good deal and figured what the hell I will get it. I know the writeup before on it, and it seemed to hit all the pros and cons, so I  just took the plunge.I HATE IT!!

the blades are absolutely the worst for doing anything usefull besides splinter removal. I took it to a class and attempted to make a fireboard with it and it just could not cut. To be fair I did sharpen it up at home and it was a  good cutter, but come on the gerber shortcut on my key chain has a better blade on it and also as long. I attemped to open at lunch a  can to make my food and the can opener did open the can but it took close to 4 mins to get around the rim.

The saw. well this thing really is just....... Well..... Kinda...... ok it sucks. It is only about a inch and a half with teeth that are as aggresive as my grandma. I could not cut a 1in dowell with it, I Had to remove it constantly to clear the teeth.

It came with a bit set that I have no clue what to do with.I cannot get it to fit on any blade that the tool has. It is loose and sloppy. the hole is 2x as wide as any screwdriver on it, but the bright side is it is a quality set that I got to figure out something to do with it.

Ok now to the pliers. I LIKE THEM. the spring load on it is very cool, and the cutters are like they should be. they just come close to touching, and dont scizzor the metal like all my other tools. I just wish they would be beefier.

Over all the tool did not meet my needs but I am sure for some it will work out just fine. I just now got to figure out how to Frankenstien the thing into something I can play with.     
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: 2 Weeks with the Gerber Suspension.
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 02:25:03 AM
After reading this post I am wondering which response would be better.  First off, there's the "I'm so glad you are happy with it!" response, but then there's also the "Why do you think we post reviews of tools?" response!  We go to the effort of buying crappy tools so you don't have to!

Of course, that being said, I'd have probably grabbed it for $17 too...

Make sure to get the new kid (let us know a name so we don't have to keep calling her "New kid!") a bike tool and sign her up here on Multitool.org!  Seriously, I am glad to see things are going well with her.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:50:32 AM
Y'know, it's kinda funny. I wrote the review on the Gerber Suspension. It certainly did not blow my doors off. Ironically though, I've spoken to or read posts from other folks who really seem to like the Suspension. Maybe the tool just works for them, or maybe they don't have anything better to compare it to?

I dunno, but one thing is for certain: With every Target and WalMart and other discount store in the western world offering the Suspension for sale, Gerber has sold a bunch of them. Millions I bet.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:09:09 AM
Y know the Idea of a lot of people liking them might just come from that fact of the market being saturated by them coming from Target, and wallyworls. I know I tried it out today on workmates that really dont know tools and they seemed to think that it was a great thing. Hopefully the masses will then go and explore other brands and designs.

As for the kiddo.. Her name is Destinee, and she is most assuradly a tool junkie! When the bike was put together. She loved opening up the surge and putting new bits in. Every morning when I leave for work she picks out the tool I carry for the day and really wants one of her own. I have given her a set of small channellocks and she just loves them. So far she has not taken anything major apart. I think I will be getting her a squirt, and cut off the blade for her, so she can have a sheeple friendly and also a kid friendly tool that she can play with.Anyone got one they want to part with real cheap?

S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:20:44 AM
Neat story!

I don't have a spare Squirt, but awhile ago Def had some extra Gerber Clutch tools. (The Gerber equivelent of a Squirt) Maybe that would work? (If he has any left?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:08:44 AM
Maybe just file the blade down to where it's not sharp. That way, if it lasts her to when she's old enough to need and be responsible with a blade, she (or you) can sharpen it so she can use it.

Speaking of Clutches, I have one and I love it, but a couple months ago it disappeared. :cry:
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 06:19:06 PM
Reading all this suggests to me that Gerber must have some really severe QC issues,namely consistency.
I

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 10:34:39 PM
I actuallly dont believe it is a QC issue. I believe that it is a issue with what works and what doesnot. I can live with lower quality steel in a tool, because I allways have a knife with me,. but the other issues are more ergonomics, and that foolish saw that is on the tool.
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 11:04:22 PM
I think I have a decent P4 in decent shape.  It's blue.  PM me if you want it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%