Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Windows Seven

Pacu · 29 · 2855

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Windows Seven
on: September 04, 2009, 05:49:11 AM
Opinions beta users?

I like snap and the shake feature. the work domain is a bit sketchy.
:like:    :MTO:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Re: Windows Seven
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:56:59 AM
i like the new taskbar...................................... pretty much just that, isnt just vista SP2? :D
A

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:04:20 AM
i like the new taskbar...................................... pretty much just that, isnt just vista SP2? :D

I took about 5 hours of online training at work to get a free box copy of professional before the general public. I got from it they are really tryin to distance themselves from XP and Vista. There was even a paragraph scolding an employee for  them saying it was basically the same as Vista to a customer. :o

Also they highly recommend a clean install over your XP dinosaur. No xp upgrade.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:47:23 AM
so im taking they dont like it when people call it vista SP2 :D

honestly ive been using it(and still) and the only two things i really like over vista and xp is the taskbar and the automatic window resizing thing :)
A

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:26:55 AM
My desktop came with vista installed. I've barely used vista, only long enough to repartition the hard-drive and install Ubuntu as my main OS. It's still there, I just never use it. We also got a new laptop recently with Vista. I pretty much hate it, the only good thing is that it runs games alright, and I'm leaving it there as my wife uses the laptop and some of the apps she needs are windows only.

I've got Sun VirtualBox setup here, and have installed the Win7 beta, and am actually less annoyed with it than Vista. While I haven't used it heavily, it seems smoother and faster than Vista.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:54:07 AM
I'll be interested to see what Win7 is like, after SP1 :D

I've decided to bypass Vista entirely in much the same way I totally ignored WinME. Now there was a stinking piece of software if ever there was one.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:20:58 PM
I stuck to win2k until XP was nearly SP3...

us Offline Pacu

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 02:57:16 PM
I gave new life to my old 2002 HP by slapping in a new power supply, 250gig HD and sound card with a fresh install of an old copy of xp pro i had won years earlier.
It's running along smoothly now.

My el cheapo Compaq laptop i bought last year is running Vista and i have no complaints....just use it for internet.

Been thinking about buying a better quality bare bones to use with my windows 7...upgrading over a couple years.

Oh and i bought windows ME for my desktop back in the day. What a waste of money. Never seen a more buggy POS OS. XP was a godsend after that.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:58:19 PM
Microsoft is kinda like a guy who pees on your face ( Vista ) then sells you a towel ( at premium prices ) to clean up with . Microsoft has lost my bussiness , I'm a dyed in the wool Mac user . our big upgrade , OSX Snow Leopard was only $35.00 ! Speed has increased , a lot of hardrive space has been freed up , all good so far .

Chris

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:11 PM
Microsoft is kinda like a guy who pees on your face ( Vista ) then sells you a towel ( at premium prices ) to clean up with . Microsoft has lost my bussiness , I'm a dyed in the wool Mac user . our big upgrade , OSX Snow Leopard was only $35.00 ! Speed has increased , a lot of hardrive space has been freed up , all good so far .

Chris

lol    :D

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 11:41:25 PM
It has been out now for a short while and have anyone else got it? I installed it a week ago and I love it, but then again I have been using crap Vista for 2 years and have had nothing but trouble with it.

So as of this moment I’m in computer heaven.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 11:49:01 PM
I set up a couple of PCs with Windows 7 earlier, and tbh it looked just like Vista to me.

I have to say though, I have Vista on this machine and my laptop and it works great - no problems at all so far.
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 11:51:21 PM
The wife still has Vista which works perfectly as well.
I'm back!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 11:53:59 PM
been using a OEM version for a week....so far everything great :tu:
A

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 12:05:44 AM
I got a copy from work -Windows 7 Ultimate.  Gonna save it till i throw together a 'puter later next year. (tax refund :D)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 12:21:13 AM
I have been using Vista Home Premium on my laptop and desktop, along with Vista Ultimate on another desktop with no issues. I did run into one issue at the beginning when an automatic update from Microsoft trashed the system. I was forced to clean everything and reinstall. After that, clear sailings.

I did buy Windows 7 Professional a week ago but haven't had the time to install it on one of my computers.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 02:42:54 AM
I hated Vista, though to be fair I didn't use it all that much.  My main computer is a Macbook which zooms along and does everything I want it to quickly.  Vista was installed on the desktop and relegated to computer games and large downloads.  It was so slow even on a reasonably good machine.

I'm considering getting windows 7 and installing it on my macbook so I can use some window only programs.  But only if its better than vista, so all opinions welcome :D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 02:25:42 AM
I bypassed Vista entirely.  I've recently sold-on my last W2K machine and now everything is running XP.   My brother bought a new laptop with 7,HP on it today.  I'll have to wait until he comes up for Christmas before I can play with it.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 12:15:01 PM
We have 2 machines we bought during the Vista era, my main machine runs Ubuntu 99% of the time, even though it's setup to dualboot with Vista. And or new laptop which was bought 2 weeks before the free win7 upgrade began. I was tempted to ditch Vista and throw the Win7 RC on it, but never had time, and we don't use it so much. It also has Ubuntu on it, which boots and shuts down WAY faster than Vista, and does all the same stuff...

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 06:32:59 PM
Vista just seems way too gimmicky for my taste. Don't make me tell you my opinion on 7... ::) All of my computers run either Debian/Ubuntu or some BSD flavor, except for one that dual-boots FreeBSD and Elder Scrolls... :D

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 06:49:10 PM
We have 2 machines we bought during the Vista era, my main machine runs Ubuntu 99% of the time, even though it's setup to dualboot with Vista. And or new laptop which was bought 2 weeks before the free win7 upgrade began. I was tempted to ditch Vista and throw the Win7 RC on it, but never had time, and we don't use it so much. It also has Ubuntu on it, which boots and shuts down WAY faster than Vista, and does all the same stuff...

Happy Ubuntu Linux user myself (on home PC and work laptop) so the Windows 7 release got no rise from me. Parts of the Win7 interface reminds me of what KDE and GNOME have already done for a while.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:04 PM
Microsoft is kinda like a guy who pees on your face ( Vista ) then sells you a towel ( at premium prices ) to clean up with .

Chris

ROFL

Staying on topic, I completely missed ("ignored" is a better word) the Vista era (still using XP Pro) but I may give Windows 7 a chance... maybe.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:48:38 PM by PyroJames »
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 09:30:07 PM
I run Ubuntu Linux on my laptop. I made the move to Linux when I saw how horrible that Vista was.

I won't be turning back to Microsoft. Linux is like a breath of fresh air.

And this is coming from an IT guy who happens to be a Windows speSmurfpillst.
--
'Buzz

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 12:55:34 AM
Vista is still working fine for me  :)

Windows 7 doesn't look a great deal different from what I've seen so far.
I used to come here a lot.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 10:04:06 AM
Considering that I'm currently migrating my brother-in-law's old Vista laptop to his new Win7 laptop I'm noticing a bit of difference.

I do get the feeling they're charging full OS price on what is little more than an upgrade.

Also being said, I still have win7 RC keys which are free and good until May I believe... thus my thought about upgrading our laptop to win7

Offline cryptrick

Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 04:15:07 PM
Windows 7 is quite nice actually. Loads better than Vista. I still prefer XP though, I just know stuff will work on it.
There are actually quite a few changes from Vista, such as the UAC, Boot time, Redesigned Taskber etc.  If I had Vista (which I don't) I'd definitely upgrade to 7.
[

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 05:30:58 PM
Windows 7 is quite nice actually. Loads better than Vista. I still prefer XP though, I just know stuff will work on it.
There are actually quite a few changes from Vista, such as the UAC, Boot time, Redesigned Taskber etc.  If I had Vista (which I don't) I'd definitely upgrade to 7.

yes, this is my thought exactly on the machines I have that came with Vista which I can't stand...

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 01:40:19 AM

I have started to changeover to Ubuntu Linux. Still need a Windows comp running though so keeping Win 2000 pro just in case.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:55 AM
I have started to changeover to Ubuntu Linux. Still need a Windows comp running though so keeping Win 2000 pro just in case.
When I got this new HP machine, it came preloaded with Vista. I let it run long enough for me to update it, do a restore disk set, and repartition the main harddrive, I then installed Ubuntu. I've only rebooted into Vista a couple times, most of the time there spent installing updates to the system/antivirus etc. I have virtualbox in Ubuntu with a few other system installs for testing, and an XP setup for when I need to use some Adobe suite programs. On my old setup I dualbooted XP and Ubuntu, and was already using most of the same programs there (Firefox, Thunderbird, Filezilla, Pidgin, Open Office) so the switchover was rather painless. In general most things seem to work out of the box. I've only had some minor issues when doing major upgrades (8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10) and some of the things I added or changed stopped working.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%