Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC question...

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
EDC question...
on: May 10, 2007, 05:34:53 AM
Sorry guys, didn't know where else to post this question, Def if you think it's better elsewhere move it for me.

I have been playing around with having a lighter in my EDC for a while, no I don't smoke but the adavantage of having fire on hand comes in handy when you need it. The question is this (and it's not if you smoke or not), which is better for EDC? Butane or a wic lighter (Zippo)? I love the butane, they have a controlled flame that reaches sometimes 800 plus degrees and you can use it in a pinch to melt soder and stuff. Zippos on the other hand have to be refilled all the time due to evaporation (does anyone have a way to fix this problem?) and the only really good thing other than people who smoke carry them is that the flame can work as a makeshift candle by which to see. A Butane doesn't produce very much candle power.

So which is it, wic or butane....and why??  :P Let me know what you think

David

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Re: EDC question...
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 05:54:41 AM
Well, a concern for pipe smokers is that the lighter-fluid in a wick lighter like a Zippo adds an odd taste to the tobacco.
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:12:44 AM
Be forewarned, I prefer Zippos.  ;)

Keep in mind that every butane lighter has a finite life-span due to the degredation of the lighting element which cannot be replaced by the end user.*

I'm not saying don't carry one but just keep in mind that it won't be like a Zippo where you can change the flint&wick and it will last forever. Eventually that butane lighter is going to irrepairable garabage. I never really had a mid-range butane lighter last longer than 2 years before it died. Some of the lower to mid-range butane lighters also have a habit of degrading seals around the refill area leading to leakage and eventual blockage of the valve.

Now, as far as the Zippo goes I think the evaporation problem is overrated. I EDC'd a Zippo for three years (whilst I was a heavy smoker) and most times I would go 1.5-2 weeks per refill averaging maybe 30-40 uses a day.

I carry a bic now because I lend my lighter out a lit and 2$ lost is easier to stomach than 18-30$ but my opinion is that the Zippo is a more user-friendly choice. Spare parts to fix 99% of all the problems with a Zippo are small, cheap and easy to carry all the time.

However, one of the main advantages of the butane route is that there is a never-ending variety of shapes, sizes, colors, etc. to be had so you can really customize which shape you can carry the easiest.

To play devil's advocate: Have you used a butane lighter to actually melt/solder anything whilst in a pinch? If not you may want to check to see how well it works before banking on that use later on.

This may be a solution to Zippo evaportion: Here.

In the same vein as the Zippo but with an adjustable flame and removable wick holder to make an actual candle, plus cool styling! Here.

Or, you could always do both: Here.

Personally I'd get one of each, carry them and see which you use/like more. Makes it simple. Whichever you do decide I highly endorse carrying a lighter even if you don't smoke. Being able to make fire on command is one of the more awesome things that people have lost respect for.

*Last I heard this was still the case a few years ago, things may have changed since then but I figured I'd drop what I knew about the subject.

Offline Garnett

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:41:43 AM
Personally I'd go with a clipper.

Very cheap. Very reliable. Refillable and flint easily replaced.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:50:28 AM
I carry a turboflame phoenix, things quite a cool little shape, has a very very hot flame, and has a mirror in the lid so you can project the light from the white hot filament in the dark and produce a bit of directional light.

Bought it for £6 inclusive of delivery from ebay.

* turboflame phoenix.jpg (Filesize: 18.26 KB)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:41:54 PM
look what just came through my letter box....

(the climber i already had)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 01:54:06 PM
Actially I did melt some soder and use it to to fix the contacts for the charger that goes to the floor machine at work, I was impressed.

David

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:54:57 PM
I carry a Zippo every day, and light it rarely since I don't smoke.  Evaporation isn't a big problem IMO...I've gone weeks without filling it.  Just give it a spark every morning before you pocket it and see if it lights quickly...if it takea a few spins, refill it :grin:

I use it mainly to light other people's (Girls O0) cigarettes, and melting the ends of paracord.

Is that black Zippo above painted, or is it done chemically like black oxide tools?
[

Offline geoemt

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:17 PM
I also carry a Zippo everyday for the same reasons Corrugated and it works.  :angel:

David here is another option:

This is a Multi-Lighter from Kowell, it has a butane lighter,a small knife, scissors, nail file and key holder. I paid $7.00 last year, could be a nice present for a multitool collector. It looks nice

Guillermo

<

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 08:20:51 PM
Is that black Zippo above painted, or is it done chemically like black oxide tools?

According to the website it is a powder coating, which they "laser" off the bottom to reveal the date code.
Here

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 08:35:59 PM
Here's a possible solution..the Blazer lighter insert...butane and rests in a Zippo case...and doesn't burn like a freshly re-filled normal Zippo.
zplussquare2.jpg
* zplussquare2.jpg (Filesize: 34.14 KB)
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 07:35:44 AM
I think you guys are all overlooking the ultimate solution........http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=174&Itemid=35
SwissFlame.jpg
* SwissFlame.jpg (Filesize: 41.44 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 10:32:08 AM
hehe, I like the way they show the tiny (albeit powerful, im sure) flame on the SAK, and the roaring inferno next to the guy camping.

Problem with that is redundancy of tools. If you already have the tools available on another SAK youre carrying, or multitool, I personally wouldnt want a lighter with any tools on it, just get the best 'pure' lighter you can.

Having said that though, that SAK would seem to go well as a stand alone minimal carry piece if you smoke or are going to some sort of party and wish to show off by pulling it out and lighting someone's cig.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 10:54:43 AM
i,d love to get a swiss flame, but only as a collecters piece rather than a user ::)

I,ve use a clipper in my psk but for edc i,d use a zippo everytime due to there reliability, and the fact that spare parts are easy to come by and you not restricted in what fuel you use :)

I don,t smoke but i do, do a lot of bushcraft, and a zippo has yet to let me down!
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 11:35:19 AM
Good idea Bob, but if folks can even find one of those for sale, it's likely to cost over $100 now!   :grin:  And, mine has an interesting function that many others don't- mine WORKS!

Seriously, as for a good lighter, go with a torch from a hardware store.  For about $20 or less you can get a decent one that uses a standard lighter as a refill, and it's inexpensive enough that if it burns out you can just replace it.  I was in the same situation as you a little while ago and I spent some money on a Collibri, and even more on the best butane available for it, and the damned thing STILL burned out.  Cigarette lighters are not designed for extended burn time, so soldering is out for most of them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%