Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

byrd wings slippit

Offline heavy handed

byrd wings slippit
on: October 25, 2009, 05:51:23 PM
this knife comes packaged in a green box with a blister pack with byrds evolution continues diagrams.

it is 3 3/4 inches long, and has the dual blade format 1x PE and 1xSE. both blades are 8cr13mov

this knife looks odd and looks very uncomfy to hold ,  the choil and jimping is good on the underside of the blade, the index finger sits quite nice in the gap and the thumb sits nice on the upper thumb ramp(no jimping). the middle finger then rests on the other closed blade this has nice recurve on feels like you are holding the handle of the knife.

but the ring and pinky finger feel a little akward resting above the "comet" hole in the blade, they feel like they are too far away from the handle and im not getting the best grip possible. while doing some test cuts in rope and paper etc, i have found myself gripping the knife with my thumb, index and middle finger only. i think this knife maybe a little to uncomfortable to hold for an extensive amount of time. but that aside having the option of a SE and PE blade appeals to me so because of the dual blade i can over look the ergonomics of the closed blade.

the knife has a 4way carry option and the clip is very secure sitting in the stainless steel end of the handle with 3 torx screws. the middle part of the handle is black g10.

the fit and finish is good, though there are a few minor points, the back spacer on the SE blade has an ever so slightly bigger gap between the handle than the PE spacer, but to be honest it does not affect the opening or closing of the blade and i only noticed it as i was looking for any defects, and also the SE edge blade has the tinyest of tiny bit of blade roll right at the tip. you cant really see it but its enough for my thumb nail to catch the rolled over bit ,but again i wouldnt of noticed it if i wasnt loking for it. this has not put me off the knife in any way as this will be my edc knife for work leaving my bob t beign my "dress" knife.

over all this feels very solid due to its stainless steel construction(including liners), its not the lightest edc knife but its not the heaviest, also i find the "comet holes" eaiser to OHO than the round spyde hole. i hope to give this a good run at work so i should be able to do a long term report on the knife. the only down side is that i cannot get a full comfy finger grip when using the blade, but as i said before i can over look that due to its usefulness of the two blades. would i recommend this knife, yeah i would its not too expensive, its uk legal and gives you twice the fire power. so its a thumbs up from me. :tu: id give it an 7/10 for 1st impressions.

Heavy handed

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: byrd wings slippit
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:01:11 PM
I'm so tempted to get one after Xmas :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline heavy handed

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:03:10 PM
ill do a mini review before xmas to let you know how its holding up. ;)

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:05:26 PM
ill do a mini review before xmas to let you know how its holding up. ;)
Thanks mate :)

Nothing beats experience in a review :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:23:23 PM
Nice little write up mate.  :tu:

Just can't get excited about this one though.  :-\
I'm back!!

Offline heavy handed

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:48:42 PM
a few pics.
103.JPG
* 103.JPG (Filesize: 51.4 KB)
102.JPG
* 102.JPG (Filesize: 48.13 KB)

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 02:17:38 PM
I like the two blade concept. As I understand it it does not have locking blades?

BTW good review, thanks!  :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:28:32 PM
I like the two blade concept. As I understand it it does not have locking blades?

Nope, hence the name "slippit".

Great for us UK guys.  :tu:
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:41:39 PM
I'd be much more tempted if it only had one blade, having the other OH hole sitting under your ring and little finger never looked comfy to me and HH has confirmed it.  Also it's a righty only knife as I wouldn't be able to get my (leftie) thumb at the hole what with the other blade sitting in the way.

Please Sal, make a single blade version. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 02:44:41 PM

Nope, hence the name "slippit".

Great for us UK guys.  :tu:

Ah ha, I see. Not my brightest moment I guess  ::)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:29 PM
I have those moments, pretty much all day every day.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline heavy handed

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:06:06 PM
byrd wings slippit update.

ive been carrying this knife every day at work now for a month.
in the initial review my two main gripes were of the ergo of the closed blade and the bent tip of the blade.

i noticed that when i opened either of the blades one handed my index finger rested on the other blade, causing me to push the closed blade tip under the choil of the blade i was opening, where you could hear a slight grinding noise, this i found out was the reason for the rolled tip, i now open this knife 2 handed and i no longer get the edge roll.

the design of the knife im also used to now. 90% of my cutting tasks are for no more than a couple of mins at a time, eg open boxes, cut rope, pipe lagging etc. i found that the knife feels quite natural in the hand.

this knife has been used daily, it gets coverd in dirt ,oils and grease, and loads of pocket fluff. and it cleans up well and easily. i have had no problems with any rust issues.
i would feel lost if i didnt have this 2 bladed knife on me, i use the SE  for aggressive cutting eg cardboard and rope and cable ties and leave the PE blade for slicing, the PE blade still slices through paper. neither blade has needed to be resharpened as they are holding a good working edge.

overall im very pleased with this knife, may be for the 1st week i was trying different grips when cutting but now it feels like any other knife.

would i recommend this knife , yeah. it may not be the best looking or the most comfortable for extended use but it is one hell of a work horse.
(mike, i think this one should deffo go on the xmas want list),

heavy handed

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:16:01 PM
Thanks for the update mate :tu:

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 05:20:02 AM
i noticed that when i opened either of the blades one handed my index finger rested on the other blade, causing me to push the closed blade tip under the choil of the blade i was opening, where you could hear a slight grinding noise, this i found out was the reason for the rolled tip, i now open this knife 2 handed and i no longer get the edge roll.

This looks to be a fairly serious defect in the knife's basic design.  Guess it could be a manufacturing issue, instead.

Wonder if Spyderco is even aware of this issue.

There was some discussion of rolled tips over on British Blades, but it was attributed to bad steel which seemed unlikely to me.

N

Offline heavy handed

Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 10:59:15 PM
ill have to check that thread out, thanks mate :tu:
as ringzero says i think it could be a slight design glitch and not a steel problem as the rest of edge on both blades is fine and they have been used daily.

Offline shecky

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 07:56:51 AM
I've had one since they came out last Spring. I've been pretty much smitten since.

Fit and finish on mine is flawless. Heavy Handed's grinding noise may be due to... heavy handedness. I can replicate the noise, if my fingers rest on the closed blade when opening up the other, by pushing the closed blade laterally so that the "nose" of the closed blade rubs against the jimping on the choil of the opening blade. The grinding noise is the spine rubbing against the jimping. However, it seems I have to be pressing pretty hard on the closed blade to get it to rub all the way down to the edge. Mind you, this happens when I tried to make it happen. Normally, my fingers don't put that much pressure on the closed blade.

One thing that does occur to me is that despite the two blades and four different pocket clip positions, it's not a left hand friendly design. No matter how the clip is positioned, or even if it's removed, the blades are in the wrong position to be opened left handed via thumbholes.

I haven't taken the knife apart, but it seems it may be possible to mod it into an even thinner single blade. As is, it's about as thick as a FRN Native. It seems to have all screw construction. The pivots and scales are held by Torx screws. I presume there's a hidden pin under the scales holding the backsprings. It may also be possible to swap the blade positions to make it southpaw friendly.

Offline heavy handed

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 10:46:36 PM

. Heavy Handed's grinding noise may be due to... heavy handedness.

lol. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD