Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What kind of toolbox do you have?

us Offline turbov21

What kind of toolbox do you have?
on: September 06, 2009, 12:09:46 AM
In the last few months, since I started collecting multitools, I've started trying to be a bit more responsible in regards to my other tools.  Most of my other tools have been various screwdrivers, since 90% of computer hardware work can be done with a screwdriver.  Recently, though, I've added to my collection to the point that I felt my collection warranted a toolbox, both as a means to keep my tools in a known location and to make moving them easier when needed.  Right now, I have a little, red toolbox:

An off-brand but sturdy thing I found at a local hardware store.  However, it's starting to get kind of cramped in there, and there's virtually no room to add bigger, electric tools.  I'm thinking of getting a slightly bigger box next month or so, but I wanted to ask here before I did anything:

1. What's a good brand?  Do brands matter?

2. Is plastic as good as metal when it comes to toolboxes?

3. Should I try to get a box that will hold everything, or is having as "always use" and a "sometimes use" box recommended?

Thanks in advance!  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:11:26 AM by turbov21 »

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What kind of toolbox do you have?
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:20:01 AM

I use a Craftsman two drawer.

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline turbov21

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:23:21 AM
Pacu, thanks!  Do you line the drawers with anything or use it as-is?

us Offline Pacu

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:25:15 AM
it came with some rubber mats i cut to size.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:36:41 AM
You guys are way too organized.   :D

us Offline turbov21

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:48:28 AM
Toaster oven box is #2 on my list now. ;)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 01:19:24 AM
I have a wood toolbox that my grandfather built during WWII. He used to make most of his own tools himself as well. The tool box is a vertical case with small wooden drawers and a metal handle. The thing must way 10lbs by itself, and he loaded it with hammers, files, etc. We always just left it on our workbench, but he used to actually carry it by hand everyday to work!  :o

I am not quite so rugged as he was, so I keep my everyday commonly-used hand tools in a tool bag instead of a tool box. I find a tool bag much handier and easier to lug around.

If the tools are staying in one location, I like to use an electrician's tool bag. The ones I prefer are shorter and more rectangular than the one below, but you get the idea. It is very easy to find what you need in them and they have lots of pockets to organize things

[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:44:06 AM
These are pretty good, although I'm needing an extra layer soon:

I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:00:45 AM
Ummm...I have a big garage full of tools. I have a 2 door steel locker with 4 shelves that contain all my electrical tools. I have a tool box very similar to what Pacu posted full of tools on each of my workbenches. I also have a large rolling mechanics 2 part tool chest that I have for my air tools and other stuff.

As for the MT collection and SAK collection, I would have went with a toolbox if it fit the decor a bit better. What DaveK has fits the tools better, and you can store more tools per floor space with all those shelves. It just doesn't fit anywhere though. Instead, I have a 3 shelf corner curio cabinet in the living room. I am quickly growing out of it though I still have some room on the bottom shelf.

Originally, the SAKs resided on the bottom shelf, but I was forced to buy a small curio cabinet early on. This has worked out for me so far.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:05:49 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 06:14:28 AM
Very nice, Chako.  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 12:04:16 PM
I assumed we weren't talking about collection storage here, but tool boxes.  My tool box is just a medium sized, blue Draper fold out thingy that holds pretty much everything I need it to for 90% of the tasks I am ever going to come up against.  For the other 10% I just have a drawer in my kitchen and a large, tough fabric bag stuffed full of odds and sods, so my recommendation would be to make up a smaller box load with essentials and then keep all the less frequently used tools elsewhere.  It saves you carting them all around that way.
I'm back!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 12:37:43 PM
Grant has my old lab toolbox from when I studied Electronics at UNI. I believe its the home of some of his SAK collection.

I don't have enough SAKs/multis/knives to need a toolbox yet... however, I have some recycled wine boxes where my normal tools are housed :)

will snap some pics later.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 01:37:58 PM
True Benner, but he was tying a tool box with MT storage. I was just showing him what happens if you have too many to store them in a tool box. It fits I swear!  :D

To answer a few questions...

1. Yes, brands to matter as you get what you pay for. Better brands equate to better quality. Thicker steel, better ball bearing drawer rails, deeper and longer drawers, etc.

2. Depends. If you plan on beating the heck out of your toolbox, then yes, metal is better than plastic. If you only need a place for storage, then plastic will do equally well.

3. If we are speaking of tool storage as opposed to MT storage, then that is entirely up to you. You have to decide which method works for you. As I previously mentioned, I have a place for everything in my garage. I have two workbenches. Each has a top chest for handy tool selection.

You know, this just gave me an idea for a new thread...off to the garage with a camera.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 01:58:18 PM
For my toolbox, I'm just using a 26" Mastercraft Maximum toolbox.  I picked one up last year at CT when it was half price.  It's great for tool storage and big for a toolbox but I'm already running out of space and need to upgrade to something larger.  :-\
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 06:10:02 PM
Grant has my old lab toolbox from when I studied Electronics at UNI. I believe its the home of some of his SAK collection.

I don't have enough SAKs/multis/knives to need a toolbox yet... however, I have some recycled wine boxes where my normal tools are housed :)

Look familiar?  :D

It's a pretty famous tackle box these days- most folks here and in SOSAK are pretty familiar with it by now!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 06:28:31 PM
Thanks for all the excellent advice!  I don't think I'm quite ready for something like DaveK's big boxes, but those bags max6166 posted look neat.  Thanks!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 04:14:12 AM
I'm a big fan of tool bags , De Walt makes pretty good quality ones . I have a Pelican case with Platt pallets for hard core assignments , involving air travel and associated hazards ,

Chris

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 12:39:24 PM

Look familiar?  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

It's a pretty famous tackle box these days- most folks here and in SOSAK are pretty familiar with it by now!

Def

Does it still have my name in the top part :P
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%