Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is it about the Swiss Army Knife

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
What is it about the Swiss Army Knife
on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:19 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love my pliers based multi-tools. ATM I have 3, my Spirit, my full size Swiss Tool and the LM Kick I won recently. They're all great tools. My favorite in their respective sizes. Of course if Victorinox made a thin tool like the Kick it would probably be my favorite but until then I'll have to carry my Kick when I want a light but still full size MT.

But having those I still tend to gravitate back to the humble SAK for my EDC. I'll get in a mood where I'll carry the bigger MT's but I begin to notice that eventually, without even really realizing it, the big MT's are sitting at home while a SAK sits in my pocket.

I put the ST in my car so no matter where I am I have pliers close by, and if I'm anywhere I might NEED pliers I'll carry one but for the most part I get along fine with a Super Tinker. Although like some on here I get itchy when I don't have a saw so I also have a Fieldmaster but nonetheless, 99% of my daily emergencies are handled just fine by a 2-4 layer SAK.

I don't carry anything else either. I have a Classic on my keychain but most of the time the wifey-poo drives so I leave it at home. Is anyone else like me? You'll go through spurts where you want to carry a big MT but for the most part a simple SAK is what you'll have.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: What is it about the Swiss Army Knife
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:41:53 PM
I'm the reverse . I have tried to get along on just a SAK , but always feel naked without a plier based multi . This is particularly nutty when I'm working , as I have some of the finest dedicated pliers on the planet ( Kline ) . All multi's pale by comparison .

As a result of the foregoing , I end up with a SAK , a Spirit X , and my Strider PT .

I'm sure if I wasn't slightly irrational , I could get by just fine with a Pioneer / Soldier or Farmer plus a Rambler on the keys , for scissors and tweezers .

Chris

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:45:07 PM
Since I lost my WAVE I've been carrying a Wenger S10 and its working out ok.
(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:45:50 PM
I prefer a sak to an mt because I rarely need pliers, and I like the small size, ergonomics and people friendliness of a sak :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:52:26 PM
Don't get me wrong , SAK's are as usefull as all get out , an easy to carry to boot , I just find it hard to give up on pliers , and something with a solid lock . In my hood , multi's occupy the same social niche as SAK's , and reasonable lockers aren't heavily frowned on .

Something like a Rnger , Handyman , or Craftsman would prolly be all I need .

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:53:33 PM
Don't worry DTH I'm exactly the same as you.  While I was working as a maintenance engineer, and various other contract jobs, a plier based multi was a must have IMO.  Now I'm not doing that type of work I just never really feel the need.  

As you say, if I feel there is the slightest chance I'll need a full sized multi, then I'll have one with me.  But in my very urban, day to day life I just think a SAK is more than enough for me.  I have a Squirt P4 that sits in my man bag, but it almost never sees any use, and the couple of times I have used it have hardly been emergencies.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:59:22 PM
When working on the farm, I have to have a pliers based MT.  Usually, that means my Charge.  Usually, I carry my Guppie with it because nothing really replaces a wrench when you need it, but lately, I've been pocketing an Atwood with alligator wrench, which has been awesome.

However, at work, I've migrated back to the Cybertimer (which isn't a basic SAK) along with my keychain tools.  Yeah, I like my Juice, but the blade on the Cybertimer (any of the 91 mm SAKs ) is just better designed for cutting food than the Juice. (Basically lunch duty).

Yea, something about the basic design just works so well.  :tu:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:06:01 PM
I'm the opposite; I always have a pliers based tool on me unless I'm just lounging around the house, then it's usually a SAK of some kind or my Skeletool CX.

The heft of a large (compared to a SAK) pliers tool doesn't bother me in the least.  Although I do carry a Pioneer along with it.
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:59:48 PM
It's not mentioned often, but I find most of the standard tools more comfortable to use on a single-handled SAK versus a double-handled multitool.

For example, there is no comparison between using the scissors on a Climber or SuperTinker verses a Wave. The SAK scissors are easier to handle and you have more control because you are not holding a lot of unnecessary weight like you are with a MT.

I find this to also be the case with the openers, drivers, blades, files, saws, etc. In short, just about everything handles better on a SAK.  :cheers:
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 12:03:14 AM
My logic is that if I couldn't carry both a MT and a SAK for any reason, I'd go with the MT for the simple fact that with the pliers (and decent drivers  ;)) you have more function.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 12:11:24 AM
My need for pliers is minimal compared with my need for a blade or a screwdriver.  As such I tend to carry the smaller option, a SAK.    I take out larger pliers based tools only when there's a good chance I'll need them.

As a compromise I find a smaller Leatherman such as the Mini, Juice or SideClip makes a good companion to a SAK for daily carry.   Perhaps I'd be different if the edc of locking blades was permitted over here  :think:  Who knows :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:48:49 AM
To be honest, unless I'm out working on the farm, etc., I sort of automatically go for my SAKs.  (Though, I do sometimes mix things up and tote a LM Juice.)  I've found that most of the stuff that comes up needing to be fixed can be handled by the tools on a SAK.  My usual carry as of lately has been a late-model Champion, so I think I'm pretty well prepared for most things.    :D
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 02:07:13 AM
It gives us a sense of being prepared for every day life. 

I very seldom leave the house (even going out in the back yard) without at least a Soldier (alox) with me.

As far as using pliers I use them at work quite often for prying off hubcaps and loosening valve stem caps. 

As far as tools or blade I use my Soldier. I just find it easier then digging thru my Kick for the right one.

I have been thru several combos and as I age I notice that things change.  My current combo is a Exec, Soldier and a Kick.

Far cry from a Spirit, OHT and a Wenger Clipper.

Just like feeling prepared.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 08:27:00 PM
My logic is that if I couldn't carry both a MT and a SAK for any reason, I'd go with the MT for the simple fact that with the pliers (and decent drivers  ;)) you have more function.
Not necessarily. My Kick has fewer features than my Fieldmaster despite being bigger and heavier. As far as "decent drivers" I have never, I repeat NEVER had an issue with them.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 09:15:09 PM
I feel naked without a plier based MT on my person. They come in so useful eg. I've found a council rubbish bin is no match for the Swisstool. Who needs the key!  8)
Gabba gabba hey!!

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 09:29:48 PM
I do seem to like carrying my Vic Bantom, but that's mostly because if I have nothing to do I like to play with it. And playing with a SAK is less likely to get me in trouble at a university than playing with a MT. But I do carry an MT everyday, the Surge as of late. I always have found that whenever I am out doing something fun, like climbing or skiing or biking, that a pliers based tool gives me more options to fix my gear than a SAK.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 01:36:40 AM
I often have delusions of being a multitool man, but in the end I just can't stand the bulk and weight of a multitool for EDC. A thinner SAK, such as a Farmer or Soldier is very pocketable, whether I'm wearing blue jeans, shorts or sweat pants.
--
'Buzz

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 01:44:24 AM
Not necessarily. My Kick has fewer features than my Fieldmaster despite being bigger and heavier. As far as "decent drivers" I have never, I repeat NEVER had an issue with them.

Of course it depends on the MT, and of course the SAK, but you can do a lot with pliers so just not having them reduces a lot of function IMO.

Oh, and I was only joking about the drivers  :pok: :D (They still don't match LM's though  ;) :D)
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 02:25:00 AM

Clothing, environment, and comfort probably has a lot more to do with people's preferences than anything else.

Many people cannot carry an MT comfortably in their day to day to life, but most can at least carry a small SAK. In time, those people come to see the SAK as their primary tool.

I can't really see myself carrying an MT day and night though. Do many people here really sit down to watch a movie with the family or go out on the town with an MT bigger than a keychain model? I am guessing yes...  :think: :D :D
[

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 02:38:34 AM

Clothing, environment, and comfort probably has a lot more to do with people's preferences than anything else.

Many people cannot carry an MT comfortably in their day to day to life, but most can at least carry a small SAK. In time, those people come to see the SAK as their primary tool.

I can't really see myself carrying an MT day and night though. Do many people here really sit down to watch a movie with the family or go out on the town with an MT bigger than a keychain model? I am guessing yes...  :think: :D :D

I pretty much have had my Skeletool CX on my side for everything I have done, from university to work to going out for some drinks with friends. Now it is the Surge!, which is always with me. Useful things to carry in my opinion.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:54 AM
As long as I have pants on , I'm wearing my Spirit .

Chris

Offline sakfan

Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 03:51:20 AM
I edc a swisschamp.It has everything I need on most days.If I do need pliers,I have an old beat up Gerber tool but,I never carry it anywhere.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 03:52:54 AM

Yeah, but if you read at all the reviews on line, you'll see that the Vic drivers slip compared to the Leatherman!!  (LOL)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 03:55:43 AM
As long as I have pants on , I'm wearing my Spirit .

Odd, I always say the exact opposite.  :o :D :D
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 08:21:33 AM
I still tend to gravitate back to the humble SAK for my EDC. I'll get in a mood where I'll carry the bigger MT's but I begin to notice that eventually, without even really realizing it, the big MT's are sitting at home while a SAK sits in my pocket.

That's about where I'm at with multitool EDC.

I've tried EDCing either LM PST or SOG PPP, both just over 5 ounces, but without using a belt sheath I just can't make myself consistently carry even these lighter multis.

My EDC of late:
-light OH folder clipped to RFP, usually Boker Trance or Kabar Dozier.  2 to 3 oz.
-Vic Tinker in LRP.  2 oz.
-Gerber Clutch in LFP. 2 oz.

With the weight distributed in three pockets, it's barely noticeable.

A full-sized multi is usually not too far away - one in vehicle and one in briefcase.

I do feel sort of lost if I don't have at least a minimal pair of pliers on me.

The Clutch pliers work well for most light tasks and can handle light-medium tasks, if used carefully.  Mine get used quite a bit.  Main role is usually as a sort of heavy duty tweezers, sometimes as fine needlenose pliers.  Being able to hold and manipulate small objects with a good degree of control comes in very handy for me.

Sometimes I carry just a OH-GAK and Gerber Clutch.

Sometimes I carry either Vic Mechanic or Wenger Taskmate, both of which include pliers, and the Boker Trance.  The pliers on those SAKs aren't as good as the Clutch, but they're still fairly useful for small tasks.  I find SAK pliers are WAY better than no pliers at all!

I'm considering getting both the LM Freestyle and the Gerber Crucial for EDC trials.  Even with their pocket clips, I suspect that I may find them too heavy for EDC.  Only time will tell.

However, both of these tools have great appeal for me because they combine medium duty pliers with a OH locking blade.  Looks like either would be a perfect companion for my Vic Tinker.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 12:11:28 PM

I think you are asking that question on the wrong forum mate  ;) :D
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 12:11:53 PM

Yeah, but if you read at all the reviews on line, you'll see that the Vic drivers slip compared to the Leatherman!!  (LOL)

:angel: :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 05:03:39 PM
Yeah, but if you read at all the reviews on line, you'll see that the Vic drivers slip compared to the Leatherman!!

Reviews can be wrong. In 1971 the Chevy Vega was Motor Trend's "Car of the Year". We all know how that one turned out.

I'd like it to be known that while it's always the Vic guys who get blamed for shouting about the supposed "superiority" of their tool but once again it's the LM guys that actually started it. 

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:39 PM
My comment was meant as a joke, DTH, conjuring up memories of an old, but good, buddy of yours on here.,  LOL

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 10:22:49 PM

Max, I usually have my Leatherman Wave on me, 24/7.  However, as with a few other Leatherman tools, it has the advantage of a pocket clip, so it is carried clipped to my left front pocket, pushed way back towards the back of the pocket.  It is a thick tool with some heft to it, but considering it is so flat, it rides perfectly where it is.  I never feel it, and it doesn't bother me.  In fact, it is WAY more comfortable to me then carrying my Wenger SI, or Vic Super Tool, for, although I have been a pocketknife fan forever, I HATE things weighing down my pockets.
It's all in how you carry it, I guess.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD