Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ST 300 owners club

RaptorMan · 2309 · 163464

Offline geoemt

Re: ST 300 owners club
Reply #120 on: September 25, 2009, 06:08:38 AM
1Jump2Many, great video! Hope that you like the ST300.   :ahhh

Guillermo
<

Offline geoemt

Reply #121 on: September 25, 2009, 06:09:49 AM
Life is funny.

What are the odds of my getting both the two that I ordered from the local shop and the one I won from geoemt as part of the American Red Cross donation on the same day? I kid you not, I picked up the two and when I got home, I had the other in the mailbox.

PICS Chako PICS!!!  :cheers:
<

au Offline ryan1976

Reply #122 on: September 25, 2009, 08:01:30 AM
So,help me out here.

I was all set to purchase the ST 300,But after reading thru this thread, i'm not so sure.

Is it one to get or look at something else?
Leatherman Charge ALX.
          Leatherman Skeletool.
          Leatherman Raptor.
          Leatherman Supertool 300.
          Leatherman Rebar
          Leatherman Sidekick.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #123 on: September 25, 2009, 08:10:09 AM
So,help me out here.

I was all set to purchase the ST 300,But after reading thru this thread, i'm not so sure.

I'm not sure..  :think:
Right now I don't have the need... :)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #124 on: September 25, 2009, 08:33:10 AM
So,help me out here.

I would say if you can trade for one then go for it! I wouldn't buy one though. I'm not sure if that helps or not?  :think:  :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #125 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:29 AM
So,help me out here.

It does seem to have a lot of Core in it , bar the new  8) plier head & clumping 'feature' + handle cut outs for glove wearers. The Core is a very good MT so there should be no reason why this one would not be equally good  :think: :think:.

Me I happy too wait a little while for the price to drop & if I can get a bargain I will be tempted. I have a X2 Core's(BO +SS) , Supertool & X2 Supertool 200's(BO + SS) so my need is not great  ::) ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #126 on: September 25, 2009, 09:38:31 AM
"reasons"? "needs"? who the hell are you people :ahhh

i have beta tester blood and a taste for changes so usually is only the money that keeps me from buying stuff :D

dont know if that helps, wait actually im sure it doesnt so nevermind what ive write above :)

now honestly, you should wait till they get all the details fixed and maybe for a better price if you can wait IMHO :tu:
A

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #127 on: September 25, 2009, 12:35:44 PM
Well I now have 3 of them. Two Stainless and one BO.

My impressions are as follows...

1. For some reason, the boxed two do not seem to be as stiff as the blister pack one. The one is so stiff, it isn't a pleasure to use.
2. Not as comfortable to use as the older Core. My reasoning is due to the locking levers and the shape of the handles. The two levers are badly placed for me as it is located exactly where I use a finger to open the plier handles for use. The core, the levers do not stick out as much, nore do they seem to have so many sharp corners. I dislike the 300s spring loaded locking lever in both shape and how much they stick out from the handle.
3. The Super Tool 300 should be a tougher tool as they eliminated that Zytel linner that is found in the core. However, that liner does make deploying the pliers and the tools somewhat smoother then the all metal 300.
4. The plier head does have the removable cutters on the 300, but, unlike Gerber, do not supply the Allen key. Bo, hiss. On top of that, nobody can accuse the new head to be elegant. In fact, the few models I do have seem to have casting artifacts still visible, where they didn't quite grind enough off. Nothing major, but still there unlike the older heads that appeared to be flawless.
5. I am not a big fan of the new clumping system in so much as the main sharp blades have a round indentation that mates with a round protrusion in the handle. On one of the 300s, the main blade is rather difficult to take out and put back in. Mind you, this will get easier with use, but the experience is rather disconcerting from a quality standpoint.
6. They made the 300 easier to use with gloves on. Very commendable. However, I found that the large rectangular cutouts in the handle to accommodate gloves becomes a very uncomfortable tool to hold when you have one of the sharp blades out for use. This causes a major unevenness between the two handles resulting in the wider handle to dig uncomfortably into the finger. This only happens if you have to use a folding tool and keep the pliers open for quick use.

My opinion, based upon the above is that the 300 is a nice tool that could have been made better. There appears to be some quality issues at the moment. To the market segment that this tool is geared towards (construction/Industrial/etc…), the negatives I stated may not be that much of a factor seeing that the 300 has a tougher more durable build compared to the Core with its plastic liner. The locking mechanism on the 300 has also been beefed up compared to the Core. Overall, the 300 is a very capable and tough tool with some quality control issues, and questionable ergonomic decisions. Is it the right tool for you…only you can answer that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:38:35 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: September 25, 2009, 04:19:56 PM
Thanks Chako :tu:
A

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #129 on: September 25, 2009, 04:23:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, Chako..  :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #130 on: September 25, 2009, 04:29:07 PM
My opinion, based upon the above is that the 300 is a nice tool that could have been made better. There appears to be some quality issues at the moment. To the market segment that this tool is geared towards (construction/Industrial/etc…), the negatives I stated may not be that much of a factor seeing that the 300 has a tougher more durable build compared to the Core with its plastic liner. The locking mechanism on the 300 has also been beefed up compared to the Core. Overall, the 300 is a very capable and tough tool with some quality control issues, and questionable ergonomic decisions. Is it the right tool for you…only you can answer that.

Cheers for that Chako. What do you consider to be the Quality control issues - or did I miss it?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: September 25, 2009, 11:29:39 PM
In fact, the few models I do have seem to have casting artifacts still visible, where they didn't quite grind enough off. Nothing major, but still there unlike the older heads that appeared to be flawless.
5. I am not a big fan of the new clumping system in so much as the main sharp blades have a round indentation that mates with a round protrusion in the handle. On one of the 300s, the main blade is rather difficult to take out and put back in. Mind you, this will get easier with use, but the experience is rather disconcerting from a quality standpoint

I agree with this part Chako. Sounds just like my 300 plier head. Quality no where near as nice as on other LM tools.  I don't really like the new clumping system either.
"

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: September 25, 2009, 11:35:00 PM
In fact, the few models I do have seem to have casting artifacts still visible, where they didn't quite grind enough off. Nothing major, but still there unlike the older heads that appeared to be flawless.
5. I am not a big fan of the new clumping system in so much as the main sharp blades have a round indentation that mates with a round protrusion in the handle. On one of the 300s, the main blade is rather difficult to take out and put back in. Mind you, this will get easier with use, but the experience is rather disconcerting from a quality standpoint

I agree with this part Chako. Sounds just like my 300 plier head. Quality no where near as nice as on other LM tools.  I don't really like the new clumping system either.

Ah - that answers my question - totally missed it - thanks!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #133 on: September 25, 2009, 11:37:24 PM
Ah - that answers my question - totally missed it - thanks!
Any chance for a close-up picture of the problem..?  ???

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #134 on: September 25, 2009, 11:37:46 PM
Here they are:

1. Plier head has artifacts on them. In one case, they didn't grind enough away, so you get this slight plateau on one side that is visible. Nothing major, but it is there. On another tool, some grinding marks are present.
2. One tool was so difficult to open and close, it wasn't a pleasant experience. In fact, it made the tool feel cheaper then it ought to from a first impression viewpoint.
3. On two of the tools, there feels like some grinding on the pivots when some of the folding tools are deployed. Not silky smooth. It is as if there is dust down there.
4. On one of the 300s, the two main blades with the round anti-clumping mechanism were very difficult to deploy and close.
5. One of the 300s had very stiff folding tools, meaning they were nail breakers.

I know much of this will loosen up with time, but with 3 models, I have noted some interesting inconsistencies between them. This leads me to believe that these tools are a sort of hit and miss affair. With that said, it is a nice tool, and I know the market it is geared towards probably won't have an issue with some of the above items. Don't get me wrong, I like the 300. However, when you compare several of them, you notice the little things that add up.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #135 on: September 25, 2009, 11:48:09 PM
Cheers for that. Mine will be arriving any day now (I hope) - so it'll be interesting to see if it has any or all of the above problems.

I seem to recall that there were a few issues like that with the Skeletool when they launched it, which is inexcusable really given the cost of the things. Having said that, I've never had any such issues with the tools I've had through my hands, so I might just be lucky!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #136 on: September 26, 2009, 12:07:26 AM
Here you go AHB.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #137 on: September 26, 2009, 12:15:10 AM
Here you go AHB.
Thanks, Chako..  :salute:
And Whoa  :o One out of three isn't impressing.. :-\

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: September 26, 2009, 12:34:42 AM
Here you go AHB.

(Image removed from quote.)
The third one is just what mine looked like but worse. With a line going straight down the center of it. I have since spent some time polishing it.
"

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #139 on: September 26, 2009, 12:39:49 AM
You wait till you see the marks on mine when I've had it a week or two :D

I see your point, but that stuff never really bothers me on any tool, unless it affects it's performance. I know it does with some people, which is cool, but not me.

The gritty problem is the one I don't like the sound of, but I've got maintenance tools to strip it down if needs be :D

Actually, a question Chako - are the screws the same size as the Core?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: September 26, 2009, 12:47:43 AM
ill cross my fingers now then....but im ready to take those details :tu:
A

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #141 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02:45 AM
That is a quality control issue albeit cosmetic in nature. As for the screws, not sure. I imagine they are the same except the two closest to the pliers being shorter in lenght.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #142 on: September 26, 2009, 01:23:53 AM
That is a quality control issue albeit cosmetic in nature. As for the screws, not sure. I imagine they are the same except the two closest to the pliers being shorter in lenght.

I meant, are the screw heads (diameter) the same as the Core? As in, will the tools I have fit them to take it apart, if you see what I mean.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #143 on: September 26, 2009, 01:25:45 AM
They look the same.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: September 26, 2009, 01:32:40 AM
Cool - thanks :tu:

Looks like I'll be taking it to bits then. In the name of science, obviously. It's not like I get a kick out of taking things apart or anything :D

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #145 on: September 26, 2009, 04:00:39 AM
Nice clear shots Chako, you are right about the pliers being a cosmetic issue. The difficulty opening the tools is something to be concerned about , that video of Junior on Utube using the instructions too work out how too close the tool, sounds like a couple ST300's are overly stiff to use  :think: :think:.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: September 26, 2009, 05:28:07 AM
I hope to get a st 300 sometime. So far I am happy with what I have now. :tu:

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: September 26, 2009, 05:55:21 AM
Nice clear shots Chako, you are right about the pliers being a cosmetic issue. The difficulty opening the tools is something to be concerned about , that video of Junior on Utube using the instructions too work out how too close the tool, sounds like a couple ST300's are overly stiff to use  :think: :think:.

Getting the knife blades out was the real downer for me.  Too much pressure to get them out and I felt like I was going to cut myself everytime.  I much prefer the core.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: September 26, 2009, 05:58:21 AM

Getting the knife blades out was the real downer for me.  Too much pressure to get them out and I felt like I was going to cut myself everytime.  I much prefer the core.
Really, the core is better than the st300?, im glad your sending me one :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: September 26, 2009, 11:41:19 AM
Well I got mine, and besides the cosmetic "grinding" marks on the pliers it suffers from none of the above, so that's cool.

Actually the grind marks are cool, as they are consistent on each side, and look almost like a grain.

Full feedback & thoughts later, but so far, this is EXACTLY what I was hoping the ST300 would be. My Core will be retiring now as a worthy successor has been found!

I'm off to the woods later and may well cut some stuff up :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44