Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK from Original Knott's Berry Farm KNife Shop

Offline wild_weasel

SAK from Original Knott's Berry Farm KNife Shop
on: September 10, 2009, 05:34:06 PM
Hello,
I joined this group after leaving for a year in IRAQ so did not have the opportunity to photograph the knife in question.   It is an older SAK (1960’s ?) that came with the aluminum capped tweezers, serrated main blade, hooked smaller blade and the Swiss shield has a rounder shape than the current Victorinox shield.  It came from a Victorinox Knife Board in the original Knife Shop at Knott’s Berry Farm in Southern California.  I saw there in 1975 and believe it or not bought it at a swap meet in Victorville 10 years later.  Also there is a Huntsman name tape on the side, ala display board.  What is curious is in addition to the above mentioned features listed above its also has the hack saw file blade.  I have never seen one like this before or since.  Wish I had a photo to share.  Any ideas what I have?
Cheers,
George

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: SAK from Original Knott's Berry Farm KNife Shop
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 05:53:47 PM
I started reading your post and at first thought it was a Camping Pruner..

Then you mentioned the file/metal saw  :think:

Further investigation required.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline wild_weasel

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:14:50 PM
That is close; my knife has the same serrated and pruning blades and that version of Swiss shield.  When were these made?  For the most part my knife has all the baldes of a Huntsman plus the hack saw file.  What is funny about my knife is that I wanted it in 1975 at Knott's Berry Farm and found it 10 years later 100 miles away for sale at a swap meet.

Cheers,
George

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 08:43:05 PM
Sounds like a very nice knife!   The Camping Pruner shown by Neil is very nice too... awesome photo....  I want them both....   :drool:

Nice to have things to look forward to.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 09:30:40 PM
Hello,
I joined this group after leaving for a year in IRAQ so did not have the opportunity to photograph the knife in question.   It is an older SAK (1960’s ?) that came with the aluminum capped tweezers, serrated main blade, hooked smaller blade and the Swiss shield has a rounder shape than the current Victorinox shield.  It came from a Victorinox Knife Board in the original Knife Shop at Knott’s Berry Farm in Southern California.  I saw there in 1975 and believe it or not bought it at a swap meet in Victorville 10 years later.  Also there is a Huntsman name tape on the side, ala display board.  What is curious is in addition to the above mentioned features listed above its also has the hack saw file blade.  I have never seen one like this before or since.  Wish I had a photo to share.  Any ideas what I have?
Cheers,
George

Sounds like the original "Outdoorsman" model. I have one but I can't take photos very well. Here is someone elses model to look at.

Here is a very similar one but does not have the pruner blade or serrated main. Instead it has the special top mounted small flat screwdriver.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 09:40:12 PM by stressmaster5000 »

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 09:52:44 PM

Thats is exactly what I am missing.... A SAK with that special flat screwdriver.
Nice SAK.
[

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:05:47 PM

Thats is exactly what I am missing.... A SAK with that special flat screwdriver.
Nice SAK.

I have such a screwdriver on my St Christopher SAK.  What I'm missing is an alox model with a screwdriver like that :)

Good detective work Wayne  :tu:

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:15:43 PM
Nice SAK.
I have such a screwdriver on my St Christopher SAK.  What I'm missing is an alox model with a screwdriver like that :)

You know what thats mean ? that if you get another one you must contact me  :D

There was an alox model with screwdriver like that aout 3 weeks ago on ebay but someone over bid me (I knew 48$ wasn't enough.... he bought it for 49$)
[

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:33:19 PM
Nice SAK.

You know what thats mean ? that if you get another one you must contact me  :D

There was an alox model with screwdriver like that aout 3 weeks ago on ebay but someone over bid me (I knew 48$ wasn't enough.... he bought it for 49$)

I saw that one but ebay wouldn't let me bid anyway  :-\  I did try though as sometimes (very occasionally) it does.

de Offline duder

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 10:47:54 PM
Like this one...
old silver alox brass.JPG
* old silver alox brass.JPG (Filesize: 39.22 KB)

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 10:50:41 PM
Like this one...

This one is sweeeeeeeet  :drool:  :drool: :drool:

But the one on ebay was without the saw.
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:51:50 PM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 01:21:04 AM
omg what sak is that  ???  model?
custom swiss army knives

Offline wild_weasel

Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 04:56:08 AM
All,

I stand corrected, the label does say OUTDOORSMAN, now that I recall.  This is what my SAK looks like except it has the rounder shield.  Is there any history behind the different shield?  Two other interesting knives I have are the Whistler form (Eddie Bauer/Wenger)  and a Victorinox  I picked up in Germany with red alox handles with only a main blade, wood saw, and large lanyard ring.

Cheers,
George

Hello,
Cheers,
George

Sounds like the original "Outdoorsman" model. I have one but I can't take photos very well. Here is someone elses model to look at.
(Image removed from quote.)
Here is a very similar one but does not have the pruner blade or serrated main. Instead it has the special top mounted small flat screwdriver.

Offline wild_weasel

Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 07:26:12 AM
When did Victorinox stop using the aluminum tipped tweezers and rounder shield?

de Offline duder

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 07:46:59 AM
I`m not sure about the shield but the tweezer tip changed from aluminium to plastic in 1978.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 05:31:45 PM
All,

I stand corrected, the label does say OUTDOORSMAN, now that I recall.  This is what my SAK looks like except it has the rounder shield.  Is there any history behind the different shield?  Two other interesting knives I have are the Whistler form (Eddie Bauer/Wenger)  and a Victorinox  I picked up in Germany with red alox handles with only a main blade, wood saw, and large lanyard ring.

Cheers,
George

The Vic with Red alox scales, main blade, wood saw, and lanyard ring is also an Outdoorsman/Woodsman; it's more than slightly rare, though, and a wonderful knife, from what I've been able to gather.  Why Vic couldn't fit a combo tool opposite the main blade, though, is anyone's guess. *shrugs*

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%