Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what's your next sak? 7801

Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,650
Re: what's your next sak?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
It will probably be a while before I can purchase one, but the next SAKs I am hoping to get are a Pioneer and SuperTinker.

I have been carrying a Cadet for quite a while now. I'd like to try something a little beefier next, hence the Pioneer. I have also started to appreciate how handy reamers can be.

On the other hand, I also miss having scissors and so I also want to give a SuperTinker a try for a while.

I will really miss the nail file on the Cadet though. There's always a trade off...   :'( ;)

You could always carry a Classic or Rambler on your keys, as well as the Pioneer.  It's a solution that works well for me.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,379
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
It will probably be a while before I can purchase one, but the next SAKs I am hoping to get are a Pioneer and SuperTinker.

I have been carrying a Cadet for quite a while now. I'd like to try something a little beefier next, hence the Pioneer. I have also started to appreciate how handy reamers can be.

On the other hand, I also miss having scissors and so I also want to give a SuperTinker a try for a while.

I will really miss the nail file on the Cadet though. There's always a trade off...   :'( ;)

You could always carry a Classic or Rambler on your keys, as well as the Pioneer.  It's a solution that works well for me.

Or why not upgrade to a Cadet plus Scissors?
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »

Or why not upgrade to a Cadet plus Scissors?

Hey, if folks can find the 84mm scissors then they can easily be added to a Cadet.  It's just finding the scissors is a bit tricky. :-\

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »
I only have one 84mm with scissors, and that's a... Stockman, IIRC.  I just don't know if I'd rather (eventually) mod a Cadet or a Sportsman II, or go for a Golfer mod. *shrugs*

My only problem with modding a Cadet would be filing down the peened brass without damaging the scales. :/  Well, and the fact that I'd rather try some mods on some beater SAKs first, so I can know how bad of a job I would end up doing. >.>;
Multitool.org Main Site Manager Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,287
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
I certainly wouldn't start modding on alox.  Do a few that you can hide the pins with the scales first ;)

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »
I only have one 84mm with scissors, and that's a... Stockman, IIRC.  I just don't know if I'd rather (eventually) mod a Cadet or a Sportsman II, or go for a Golfer mod. *shrugs*

My only problem with modding a Cadet would be filing down the peened brass without damaging the scales. :/  Well, and the fact that I'd rather try some mods on some beater SAKs first, so I can know how bad of a job I would end up doing. >.>;

I don't know that one, do you have a pic I can  :drool: over?  If it's in good condition then I'd really think twice about pulling it apart.

As you say I wouldn't start with a alox mod, but do give modding a cellidor SAK a go, it's very satisfying.

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
Yeah, I think my wording was off, I meant that I'd try a Cadet mod after I have several other mods under my belt. XD

The Stockman is simply a 84mm version of the Super Tinker, just without the hook on the scissors backspring.  Sadly enough, though, I would be hesitant in ripping it apart simply due to the fact that I could easily apply new scales to it (which it needs badly), and do a bit of clean up work on the inner sides of the layers/backsprings.

With that said, though, I don't have any pictures of it, and Smart Knives lacks a picture, too.  Oops, I stand corrected, they're calling it a Salesman, not a Stockman.  I always make small errors in properly naming them. XD
No Life Club Posts: 4,230 Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »
Probably another Fieldmaster. I've abused the scissors on mine and now they barely cut. Of course I could try and fix them but that wouldn't get me a new Swiss Army Knife now would it?

Asking Vic to fix them might though...  ;)

I can understand preferring to buy a new one too though.

Is it just a matter of dullness or are they actually damaged?
They won't spring back open after I cut. I've oiled the crap out of the pivot area so I'm assuming the spring is weak. Like I said, I could try and fix it but it'd be easier to just buy a new one.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Yeah, I think my wording was off, I meant that I'd try a Cadet mod after I have several other mods under my belt. XD

The Stockman is simply a 84mm version of the Super Tinker, just without the hook on the scissors backspring.  Sadly enough, though, I would be hesitant in ripping it apart simply due to the fact that I could easily apply new scales to it (which it needs badly), and do a bit of clean up work on the inner sides of the layers/backsprings.

With that said, though, I don't have any pictures of it, and Smart Knives lacks a picture, too.  Oops, I stand corrected, they're calling it a Salesman, not a Stockman.  I always make small errors in properly naming them. XD

If you can get a picture of it, it could go up in the SAKwiki.  No shot of it there either.

No Life Club Posts: 1,547
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
Probably another Fieldmaster. I've abused the scissors on mine and now they barely cut. Of course I could try and fix them but that wouldn't get me a new Swiss Army Knife now would it?

Asking Vic to fix them might though...  ;)

I can understand preferring to buy a new one too though.

Is it just a matter of dullness or are they actually damaged?
They won't spring back open after I cut. I've oiled the crap out of the pivot area so I'm assuming the spring is weak. Like I said, I could try and fix it but it'd be easier to just buy a new one.

I completely understand. I was only asking out of curiosity.

If you want a new spring to tide you over until you can get a replacement knife, you could try emailing Vic and just telling them your spring has worn out.

I once emailed Vic a general question and mentioned in passing that one of my SAKs needed a new scissor spring. Vic noticed and immediately mailed me a new scissor spring! They said the spring was covered under my knife's warranty. Talk about standing behind your product! :o

[
No Life Club Posts: 1,547
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

Yes, I have tried coupling a Classic with my SAKs before. It is certainly a good option. Personally, I really, really prefer beefier scissors though.  :D

That is why I am looking at the Pioneer and SuperTinker. If I can get by with the SuperTinker, I am all set. If I really prefer the Pioneer, however, I can eventually do a scissor mod.

I am perpetually surprised that 91mm nail files were never made. I still have troubles grasping it.  :think:

As Sazabi suggested,  I have been keen on doing a Cadet /w scissors mod for a very long time. The 84mm scissors models I managed to find are just too beautiful to use for parts though.   :drool:

I've got some seriously weird things I'd like to experiment with though, so I may have some other solutions to the nail file issue. They require back tools and cellidor though, which is why I am considering "regressing" to a Tinker from my precious shiny, shiny alox.  :D :D

[
No Life Club Posts: 3,572
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 12:07:38 AM »
I want an Alox Soldier , and a large SAK like a Ranger or Huntsman lite , perhaps I should just throw in the towel and get a Swisschamp .

Chris
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 12:37:24 AM »

If you can get a picture of it, it could go up in the SAKwiki.  No shot of it there either.

Would it be permissible to replace the scales from the (presumably) factory scales it came with, when I take the picture?  It's looking scruffy as it is, now.  Nonetheless, pictures would have to come a couple weeks from now, when I go home.
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »
I don't think it would matter in the slightest.

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 01:06:54 AM »
Oki, just making certain. :D
No Life Club Posts: 4,534
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 03:02:57 AM »
Here is an 84mm with the same basic tools as the SuperTinker.  Still in too good of shape for me to sacrifice it even though the blades have seen some sharpening.
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 03:07:28 AM »
Yup, that's the Salesman; you even have a square Phillips. o.o  Nice. :)
Full Member Posts: 196
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
Tuesday I'am going to order a OHO Sentinel and a black alox Pioneer.

"
Newbie Posts: 15
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 06:45:57 PM »
I want something slim and lightweight, but that includes a pair of scissors. It will either be a Compact or a Climber Plus.........I'm having a tough time deciding.
No Life Club Posts: 1,092 Gone Climbing.
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
I want something slim and lightweight, but that includes a pair of scissors. It will either be a Compact or a Climber Plus.........I'm having a tough time deciding.

As far as I can tell on this forum, general rule of thumb, get them both ;)

"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"
No Life Club Posts: 3,126
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »

Compact
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

Between the two, the Compact is slimmer; the only things the Climber Plus has over the Compact, really, are:  the awl, a larger large screwdriver, a small Phillips-capable screwdriver on the dedicated can opener, and a small blade.  Of course, I don't think the Climber Plus has a nail file on the back of the hook.

Hmm, go for a Climber Plus and Rally combination?
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »

Compact

Although the Climber was the second SAK I ever had and I still like it very much, I think I prefer the Compact.

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2009, 09:10:40 PM »
Besides the comparison above that I gave, I do have both a Compact and a Climber; really, if you don't need a small blade, go for the two layers instead of the three.  It may not seem like much, but depending on the day and what you wear, you'll like less pocket bulge.

With that said, I carry an Explorer Plus, which is a layer thicker than the Climber.   :sak:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,384
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:10 PM »
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on the new Soldier.

:like:    :MTO:
Hero Member Posts: 987 I am the Toast King!!
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »
I'd really like to find a OHT, I think I want it but would like to hold one first.

"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"
No Life Club Posts: 1,694
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »
I ordered a Silver Pioneer and flash lite combo for 20.00 after seeing DoughDTD post this morning in Deals and Auctions.
Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike
Hero Member Posts: 764
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
Well, I got the Sturmgewhr 90/PE-90/SIG 550 Wenger Swiss Army Knife today.....I will be posting pics soon!!!!!

BTW: I want to do an article on it and some other SAK's I have that are NOT on Swiss Wiki....How do I do it?

MOLON LABE!
Jr. Member Posts: 76
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »
My next one is probably a Victorinox Cybertool 34.
No Life Club Posts: 1,757
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2009, 04:37:30 AM »
My next one is probably a Victorinox Cybertool 34.
Good choice.  :tu:

Dennis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $135.46
PayPal Fees: $7.14
Net Balance: $128.32
Below Goal: $171.68