Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why should I .....?

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Why should I .....?
on: May 11, 2007, 06:23:19 PM
 I've been thinking for some time of getting a key ring sized pliers multi.But I really want a good sound reason(s) to buy  one for more than just the gee-whiz factor.
OK all you owners and users of the bantam multis,how useful is yours,and what uses have you found for them?
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Why should I .....?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:39:02 PM
I've been thinking for some time of getting a key ring sized pliers multi.But I really want a good sound reason(s) to buy  one for more than just the gee-whiz factor.
OK all you owners and users of the bantam multis,how useful is yours,and what uses have you found for them?

apart from vic classics and the like i,ve got no experience either, but they can,t be that good can they?

i mean there better than nothing in a pinch, but day 2 day usefull, i gotta say i doubt it.

i look forward to being proved wrong ;) :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:09:03 PM
well, something keyring size that is useful would not involve pliers IMO, try the scissor mini tools (e.g. LM S4) or something like the wenger clipper.

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:37:27 PM
actually the wenger nail clipper models is really great, loads of people over on sosak use them me included :)

Offline znapschatz

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 11:35:50 PM

apart from vic classics and the like i,ve got no experience either, but they can,t be that good can they?

i mean there better than nothing in a pinch, but day 2 day usefull, i gotta say i doubt it.

i look forward to being proved wrong ;) :grin:

Probably very good in a pinch, depending on who or what needs pinched  ;).

Other than that, while keychain size pliers probably have some use for working with small mechanicals, I rarely find anything in my world that it handles well. 

Some while ago I nabbed a Leatherman Squirt P4 because it was cute as can be and also on clearance sale (the only way I buy these things).  It didn't work with most of what I need pliers for day to day.  So far, the Juice is my minimum useful size EDC pliers. 

After a while, I gave up on it and the Squirt now resides mostly in a storage box.   Every once in a while, though,  I take it out to play.  For me, the P4 may not be very practical, but is a most excellent finger toy, and I actually fixed something with it once.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 01:36:47 AM
I've used my P4 to pull fuses from inside the (cramped) trunk of my car.  It could have been done with a full size multi, but with only light from a Maglite and me contorted into the back of the trunk, the Squirt was just right to get in between the fuses.

The P4 is great for small electronics where a big pair of needlenose pliers and a 1/4" slotted driver would be near useless.  It's good to have a tiny set of tools on hand along with a full size multi.

Do not, I repeat...do NOT try and open a bottle with the 'bottle opener' on the Squirt series.  It's possibly the worst design ever.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 04:20:58 AM
You might want to consider the Squirt EL version. Those unique wire stripper jaws look cool, and actually work like they are supposed to.

* Leatherman Squirt EL.jpg (Filesize: 20.16 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 05:55:32 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I was hoping for some good reasons to justify buying onefor he keyring  to the SWMBO :grin: I am putting one of the mini multis in the car's first aid kit,and another in my hobby tool box. I do guess that I could pair something like the P4 with a Vic Manager in a super small sized PSK
I

Offline znapschatz

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 05:57:11 AM
Do not, I repeat...do NOT try and open a bottle with the 'bottle opener' on the Squirt series.  It's possibly the worst design ever.

Oh, not all that bad.  At first, it was a challenge, but with some care and patience, I got better at consistently opening bottles.  Usually it takes me 2 or 3 grabs to pop a cap.  The more I practice, the easier it gets.   When, in the course of an evening,  it starts to get more difficult, I stop opening bottles   :grin:

Don't give up.  Beer is worth the effort.     :cheers:

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 09:22:21 AM
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!