Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fixing Vintage Knife with Loose Main Pin

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Fixing Vintage Knife with Loose Main Pin
on: September 15, 2009, 02:21:36 AM
Hi, I have an old 84mm with some sort of tortoise shell colored scales, could be shell, but maybe not.  The knive is like a 84mm Pocket Pal, two blades, the knife is actually only 75mm, so I'm not sure where it fits in the SAK evolution, but SAKwiki needs some updating.

OK problem, this knive has exposed pins, 3 of them, unfortunately the main one serving the main blad pivot is loose and the scales/layer can spread open making the blade wobbly.  By looking at the tank I'd say someone abused this poor knife trying to pry something.  How can it be fixed?  are these pins actually peened to the scale, meaning one they pull through the scale material, only a bigger pin could be used?

This could be a nice knife if it could be fixed.  Should I try sending it to Vic, or just use it as a show piece?

As an aside, my 0.68xx knife is only 75mm as well... so it looks like Vintage knives are in the wrong section on SAKwiki.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Fixing Vintage Knife with Loose Main Pin
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:52:32 AM
Any pics?  Are the scales plastic/cellidor or metal(alox)?

It sounds like a custom SAK, so Victorinox might not even fix it, but there are some here who do really good work with refurbing SAKs.
[

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:23:19 AM
I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.  I see lots of spelling mistakes in my OP I'll edit it.  The scales are probably either TS colored Cellidor or the real TS.  I don't think it's custom, Vic made a lot of special scales for lady/gentlemen knives in the early years.  It essentially looks like the Accountant with exposed rivits and no long-nailfile.

Thanks.

Original post with corrections and addtions, could not edit original any longer.
Hi, I have an old 74/75mm with some sort of tortoise shell colored scales, could be shell, but maybe not.  The knife looks like a 84mm Pocket Pal or 74mm Accountant but with exposed pins and just two blades.   SAKwiki had the Accountant at 84mm but I moved it to 74mm as my other 0.68xx series knife also only measures 75mm.

Back to the problem, this knive has 3 exposed pins, unfortunately the main one serving the main blade pivot is loose and the scales/layer can spread open on the one end making the blade wobbly.  The other pins seem very solid, so the spreading is only a couple mm. By looking at the tang & blade I'd say someone abused this poor knife trying to pry something.  How can it be fixed?  Are these pins actually peened to the scale, meaning once they pull through the scale material, only a bigger pin could be used?  Or is there some trick when the pins are exposed? The loose side appears to be the bottom, where the pins seems naturally slightly recessed in the scale material, where as on the top side it is definetly raised above the scale.  Could I use a flat punch to try to peen the pin without damaging the scales?

This could be a nice knife if it could be fixed.  Should I try sending it to Vic, or forget trying to fix it and just use it as a show piece?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:35:58 AM by ICanFixThat »

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:28 AM
Doubt its a custom job, I have a couple..

I'd be tempted to try cutting the pin as you already have a bit of space to play with and they are quite thin.  That failing its a very careful drill out  :ahhh
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:25:36 PM
Those are absolutely beautiful, Neil. o.o

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:57:56 PM
Those are sweet Neil

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 05:27:17 PM
So there is no way to fix the existing pin, it needs to be removed an a new one found, and inserted.  Sounds like a job for a master, I might have to wait for a while.  Too bad I was looking forward to polishing it.

Wow!   Those are great pics.  The one in the back without the long nail-file is like mine.  I presume your's have brass liners and spacers?

Put your pictures on the Wiki Neil in the 74mm gallery, it needs some spiffy pictures. 

You don't happen to have the model numbers for those do you?

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:52 PM
So there is no way to fix the existing pin, it needs to be removed an a new one found, and inserted.  Sounds like a job for a master, I might have to wait for a while.  Too bad I was looking forward to polishing it.

Wow!   Those are great pics.  The one in the back without the long nail-file is like mine.  I presume your's have brass liners and spacers?

Put your pictures on the Wiki Neil in the 74mm gallery, it needs some spiffy pictures. 

You don't happen to have the model numbers for those do you?

Sorry, I read the abused bit and assumed the knife needed a full restoration. My mistake. If the rest of the knife is good you could try peening the pin (very carefully  :ahhh ).  I might be tempted to leave it as is unless you want to carry and use it.  You could ask Victorinox if they'd fix it, can't hurt to fire them an email with an attached picture.

Mine are Pocket Pal sized not 74mm.  The one at the front has a nail file on the back and uses nickel silver pins and liners.  The one at the back has no nail file and uses brass pins and liners.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:09:18 PM
Thanks Neil, I think the knife was abused, but I believe it would be OK for me as is. I tested that if the pin was tight then the blade was still able to open and close.  I might try some stuff, or leave it as it. I would not carry it for more than an evening once in a blue moon.

Wow yours are 84mm size, very interesting.  Are either of them Victoria?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 07:41:46 PM
Those are absolutely beautiful, Neil. o.o

They certainly are!  :drool:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:52:37 PM
The one with the nail file is Victoria.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%