Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

proudest sak moment

sakfan · 18 · 1927

Offline sakfan

proudest sak moment
on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:54 AM
I've only used sak's for about 9 months so my experience is limited but, my
proudest sak moment would have to be using my swisschamp to help
build cabinets at work this past summer.My supervisor took notice when I pulled
out my champ and used the inline philips to start tightening.Everyone else
where I work uses multi tools so,it was cool to accomplish everything I needed
with my sak.What is your proudest sak moment?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: proudest sak moment
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:02:26 AM
Actually my proudest sak moment, was when I gave my boy his first sak :)

He'd wanted one for ages, and I was really proud of the way he took on the responsibility :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:02:16 AM
Similar to Mike but the other way round, my sons not old enough to own one yet so I'll wind the clock back to when my Grandfather gave me my first SAK. 
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

Offline Nathan

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:48:38 AM
Sometimes when I go camping, I have some people with me who don't have much experience with camping and even less experience with using a SAK. During our camping trip, I show them how to use their SAK's to do simple things like opening a can, preparing wood for a camp fire, cutting food and do many other things. I really like it to see how they discover how useful their SAK's actually are and often they get enthousiastic and try to use their SAK's as much as possible. Those are moments that make me a proud SAK user.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:20:03 PM
Actually my proudest sak moment, was when I gave my boy his first sak :)

He'd wanted one for ages, and I was really proud of the way he took on the responsibility :)

Its nice to hear that mate.  If I ever have kids, I look forward to a moment like that.  You've probably told me this before, but which SAK did you get for him?

Great stories all round guys :tu:    Keep 'em up!

My favourite moment was, after a good amount of piss taking for carrying my Ranger during a walk in the woods, all my mates wanted some walking poles cus the ground was steep and slippery.  Out comes my SAKsaw, down come a few long straight branches and voila, walking poles.  After that I got several interested mates asking where to buy SAKs.

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:54:30 PM
Well he's only 6, so I just snapped the blade on an old classic and gave him that :)

He's still not sensible enough for his MFV yet :(

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:06:27 PM
Well he's only 6, so I just snapped the blade on an old classic and gave him that :)

Mate, in all probability I'm not sensible enough for a MFV yet :D   
Must be nice to see the little guy taking his first steps into the wide world of the SAK.  My 6 year old nephew is intent on getting his hands on my swords when he came around.  A few moments of heavily supervised holding (as in I was holding it too!!) of a very blunt longsword convinced me it would be many years before I let him touch them again  :-\  :D

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 02:11:19 PM

Mate, in all probability I'm not sensible enough for a MFV yet :D   
Must be nice to see the little guy taking his first steps into the wide world of the SAK.  My 6 year old nephew is intent on getting his hands on my swords when he came around.  A few moments of heavily supervised holding (as in I was holding it too!!) of a very blunt longsword convinced me it would be many years before I let him touch them again  :-\  :D
That's the problem :D

I'm possitively itching to get him into the fold (pun intended :D) but logic dictates that I wait at least another year :cry:

spam Offline Paul

• BANNED
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:18:07 PM

As with Mike: Giving my son his first Vic (huntsman) .... and

Cutting 1/2 inch off the bottom of a solid door with the saw on a Swsschamp - took a while but it did the job.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:20:02 PM by Paul »

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:19:19 PM

Cutting 1/2 inch off bottom of a solid door with the saw on a Swsschamp - took a while but it did the job.
Bloody hell, there's commitment :salute:

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 02:36:48 PM
For me it would have to be last Christmas. Me, the wife and our room mate along with her 10mo old baby were at a tree farm choosing our chrismas tree. When we finally found the right one wifey started on it with one of the provided saws...
After a few miniutes and a lot of binding she gave up and told me to have a go at it. I pulled out my swiss tool, opened the saw and proceeded to fell the tree in under a miniute. This of course is after she laughed and told me I'd never cut that thing down with such a tiny saw while the roomie was laughing.
Ahhhhhhh, memories  8)
T

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 02:56:09 PM
Sometimes when I go camping, I have some people with me who don't have much experience with camping and even less experience with using a SAK. During our camping trip, I show them how to use their SAK's to do simple things like opening a can, preparing wood for a camp fire, cutting food and do many other things. I really like it to see how they discover how useful their SAK's actually are and often they get enthousiastic and try to use their SAK's as much as possible. Those are moments that make me a proud SAK user.

This is an amazing thing, I've seen too.  Most people think SAKs are an exercise in what can be stuck in a pocket knife but don't really believe they're all that functional.  Once they're shown what can be done, it's like a new world has been opened up to them.

Not to mention that it's nice to have someone volunteer to cut up the kindling, open all the cans and prepare the food.  >:D

us Offline getahl

Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 04:26:34 PM
Last Christmas was the first the wife and I had in our new house. Since our house didn't come equipped with any plants in the backyard, we didn't really have anything in the way of yard implements. Well, we bought our tree a week or two prior to Christmas. It was a good looking tree; healthy and robust. Very robust. The wife and I picked out a nice place next to the front door of our house (primarily because that's the only place a tree will fit).

In order to jimmy it into the stand, and have it fit next to the door, we had to eliminate some of the lower branches with extreme prejudice. Keep in mind that we didn't have a normal saw, loppers, pruners, or anything. Our backyard was a 75'x25 plot of dirt, weeds, and a single 8' tall orange tree smack dab in the center. But, I had plenty of SAKs.

I'd like to say that I don't ever have much cause to use the implements on my SAKs other than the blades, bottle opener, and scissors, usually for normal suburban type stuff. So I decided to grab my most recent acquisition at the time, my Wenger Ranger. I'm not sure on the number, but it is the one with the saw, two-handed blade, opener layer, and phillips on the back. It is a very nice piece of kit. And I used it extensively that day. The wife even asked 'Keith, where's your saw-thing?' that day, so that she could remove yet another offending branch.

In the end, it served it's purpose, and was the first time I'd used a SAK saw on something useful. It's also the only time I've really used it for something useful,  but it's only a matter of time before it gets put to use again :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 04:36:10 PM
Nice stories  :tu:

I really enjoyed giving Son of Hedgekid his first SAK recently, but sadly he managed to lose it running around on a beach. Even being red, it was impossible to find :(

I shall getting him another one for xmas probably and will be including a lanyard with strict instructions to keep it attached to his damn pants this time!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 06:07:25 PM

I really enjoyed giving Son of Hedgekid his first SAK recently, but sadly he managed to lose it running around on a beach. Even being red, it was impossible to find :(

I shall getting him another one for xmas probably and will be including a lanyard with strict instructions to keep it attached to his damn pants this time!

Oh no!  Next time he'll be running around on the beach in his skivvies looking for his pants too!  :ahhh

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 07:29:46 PM
Must have been when I gave my nine year old daughter a ruby "my first victorinox"...
I made a necklace with a little red container, Sak and a whistle... She had been poking me to get
one of mine, so she was thrilled to get her own.. Safely kept away unless we are outdoors together..
She's always been daddy's girl.. :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 07:37:47 PM

Oh no!  Next time he'll be running around on the beach in his skivvies looking for his pants too!  :ahhh

LOL... especially as they seem to like wearing them down around their knees for some stupid reason!  :think:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline sakfan

Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 08:07:49 PM
Thanks for all the interesting stories guys.I enjoyed them all!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%