Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK collectors, do you specialize?

P35 · 19 · 2127

Offline P35

SAK collectors, do you specialize?
on: September 13, 2009, 07:34:46 PM
here's a question for all the SAK collectors, do you specialize in what you collect?
I started my collection with an alox Soldier,  and mostly collected alox Victorinox knives. Recently I've acquired a few non alox knives.
 How do you go about your collecting?

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: SAK collectors, do you specialize?
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:44:04 PM
I don't specialize in any one particular kind, but I always have my eye out for rare or discontuniued knives.  I have started looking more into the 108mm line as I now have three, and am working on my alox cadet collection with 5 of the colors represented.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:46:24 PM
I don't know if I qualify as a collector, but I do have a list of things that want to have and I want them in groups.  Like right now, I want all the cadets (yes I know, that's gonna be a toughie for a couple of them).  :)  After that I've got my sights set on Climbers and Tinkers.  Have no idea where I'll go after that, but I'm probably be  a collector by then. :D I'm pretty impressed with the Alox too so I am hoping to end up with with quite a selection of those.  A guy at an antique shop told me one time that the way he went about collecting was collecting very specific things (like medium Stockmans' by Case) and then expanding from there.  Me, I'm just a tad OCD so I tend to focus pretty hard on just one or two things at once.  :)
Do you have pics up of your collection?  I'd love to see them!
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:16:36 PM
It took me about a month and a half to realize that I was a SAK collector (I had 30 different ones by then). Actually prior to my coming to this forum, I had no interest in SAKs. I still consider myself primarily as a multi-tool collector. SAKs is an interesting sideline for me.

With that said, when I first started, I just bought everything and anything I could find locally. Then I started to read and look at the SAKWiki website. The more I dug into this whole SAK thing, the more I got caught up in it. I am not ashamed to say that I love history, and the rich history, variety of models, and the passion of the other SAK collectors on this site got me going.

I am not a speSmurfpillst. I am more of an accumulator. I do look for the odd and interesting SAK as well as the odd MT or two ;). Whatever I find interesting, I will go for.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:17:17 PM
Most of my collection is SOLDIERS Old and alox But also any other Victorinox
that are Odd. I will soon start to get PINSTRIPS not all the models and colors
becuse I don't like pink  :D
yeap most old soldiers :pok: anybody want to help  :D
M.TEX

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:23:42 PM
I don't know if I qualify as a collector, but I do have a list of things that want to have and I want them in groups.  Like right now, I want all the cadets (yes I know, that's gonna be a toughie for a couple of them).  :)  After that I've got my sights set on Climbers and Tinkers.  Have no idea where I'll go after that, but I'm probably be  a collector by then. :D I'm pretty impressed with the Alox too so I am hoping to end up with with quite a selection of those.  A guy at an antique shop told me one time that the way he went about collecting was collecting very specific things (like medium Stockmans' by Case) and then expanding from there.  Me, I'm just a tad OCD so I tend to focus pretty hard on just one or two things at once.  :)
Do you have pics up of your collection?  I'd love to see them!
Gray

What she said! :pok:

I don't actually collect SAKs, at least not yet. I will start with a Farmer though, and go from there. :D
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:29:02 PM
Anything that seems interesting..  ;)  :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:48 PM
I "collect" SAKs that I'll use.  If I come across an oddity or an especially rare SAK for a good price I'll grab it and probably resell it to a collector. 

I do however like reading about weird/rare SAKs and their history.
[

Offline P35

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:06:15 PM
I don't know if I qualify as a collector, but I do have a list of things that want to have and I want them in groups.  Like right now, I want all the cadets (yes I know, that's gonna be a toughie for a couple of them).  :)  After that I've got my sights set on Climbers and Tinkers.  Have no idea where I'll go after that, but I'm probably be  a collector by then. :D I'm pretty impressed with the Alox too so I am hoping to end up with with quite a selection of those.  A guy at an antique shop told me one time that the way he went about collecting was collecting very specific things (like medium Stockmans' by Case) and then expanding from there.  Me, I'm just a tad OCD so I tend to focus pretty hard on just one or two things at once.  :)
Do you have pics up of your collection?  I'd love to see them!
Gray

What she said! :pok:
here's my humble collection so far, I've added a blue and red farmer, and a black alox Classic since this was taken

(Image removed from quote.)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:22:44 PM by P35 »

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 10:11:50 PM
I "collect" SAKs that I'll use.

Me too.
I would love to collect them (to 'just' collect them) but I'm a user. I use SAKs, there's nothing I can do about it. And since I need to spend my money wisely, I buy just what I'll use. If I had to buy what I 'want', I would be broke by now...

A.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:13:43 PM by andrea.from.roma »
R

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 10:21:52 PM
Well I started with Alox, as my first two knives I bought long before I new about SOSAK where an Companion and Money Clip.  It was a SuperTinker though that ended up connecting me with SOSAK where I discovered the 93mm Alox and Cadets.  The story goes on...

Although I loved the alox, I started buying other ones to see how they worked out.  I have most contemporary models now, and have had time to really understand what I like.  Now I think I will specialize a little more on what I "really" like, that means maybe selling a few, but I'll probably keep a full collection just not multiples.

My current likes:
ALOX all shapes and sizes.
Nice Colors any material.
Cadets... old, new, colored.... I don't know why... they don't even have scissors.
Stainless Steel
Horn Scales
Vintage
Anything with scissors and Combo tool
Any other Cool and interesting ones.

So it looks like I still like almost everything.  :D

Offline P35

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 10:29:19 PM
I rotate the silver alox knives and carry one as an EDC.
I don't carry the colored alox, to preserve their finish.
my first alox was a soldier, after that I was hooked

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 01:40:29 AM
I pretty much started by collecting advertising marked classics. All kinds, but of course the stranger or unique the better. Here are a couple of many that I have in my collection. I added larger ones later on.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:44:28 AM by stressmaster5000 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 01:56:29 AM
While I have a good number of 91mm SAKs, I really like the 84mm size.  As others have said almost all my SAKs are for using but I do have one or two that are just for the sake of having.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline sappyg

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 02:10:40 AM
well... i like them all but i am mostly interested in alox models. i don't have to have every model made, just the ones i have a use for.
the one i would really like to add to my humble accumilation is a cadet II. basically a recruit with alox.  :gimme:
i

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 02:32:58 AM
My collection is a bit like my life, no direction and a bit lacking in organisation :D   I go with what I like and what's available.

I tend to avoid the locking models and I do have a soft spot for silver SAKs.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 12:17:52 PM
Totally random collection here really. The things that interest me the most are mods though, either my own or from someone who knows what they're doing :D

I have a big thing for Alox too so will probably end up with more of that knocking about!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Nathan

Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 01:42:51 PM
My SAK collection is also random. I buy a SAK if I like it and if I have budget. I regularly check a Dutch site where people sell their second hand stuff and every now and then there are SAK collectors who sell SAK's at low prices.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 01:56:51 PM
Interesting and RARE....

- Swiss Flame

- Craftsman, no pliers

- Deluxe Angler/Fisherman

- New, old stock First Mate

..and some other ones.....

I like commemoratives, too:

- 1884-1984 Champion and Classic combo

- 1897-1997 Swiss Champ and Spartan