Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Farmer love 3234

No Life Club Posts: 4,230 Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Farmer love
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:58:20 AM »
I broke out the Vic Farmer today. I don't know why I don't carry it more often. It simply kicks butt. A LOT of tools in a small space, and it looks great. To quote Robert Palmer it's "Simply Irresistible"

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,461 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Farmer love
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:01:24 AM »
it’s all that and mint chocolate chip cookies.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Hero Member Posts: 632
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:15:08 AM »
 :tu:

i
No Life Club Posts: 3,572
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:19:28 AM »
I'm very fond of them myself , I often carry it's cousin the  Electrician Plus ( love the skinning blade ) . For nonwork carry the Farmer assuredly kicks Butt !  Very elegant , understated , and tuff .

Much as I don't like cleaning duct tape goo of things someone has alledgedly repaired , I agree wholeheartedly with you on this one !

Chris
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,975 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:23:59 AM »
Well I think we all know my feelings about the Farmer :D

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
No Life Club Posts: 1,798 Spawn of Cthulhu
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »
I broke out the Vic Farmer today. I don't know why I don't carry it more often. It simply kicks butt. A LOT of tools in a small space, and it looks great. To quote Robert Palmer it's "Simply Irresistible"

Glad all you guys love your Farmers, but I'll offer an opposing view.

I don't like any of the Alox SAKs because:

1. Utilitarian - Alox SAKs are a big step backward because they all lack Phillips drivers, tweezers, and toothtpicks.

2. Esthetic - I don't carry aluminum handled knives anymore and generally don't buy them.  Aluminum handles all look like crap after a few months of grinding against the other metal stuff in my pockets.

N
Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,038 I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:24:55 AM »
Personally I love the look and feel of Alox, especially when it's getting worn through use and carrying etc. It has character which the cellador scales seem to lack.

Everyone's got their own thing right?! :)

As for the tweezers, I carry Uncle Bills on my keychain which are far superior in every way so I really don't miss the SAK ones.

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke
Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,078 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
Personally I love the look and feel of Alox, especially when it's getting worn through use and carrying etc. It has character which the cellador scales seem to lack.

As for the tweezers, I carry Uncle Bills on my keychain which are far superior in every way so I really don't miss the SAK ones.

+1 to that.

Personally I much prefer the look of worn Alox to scratched up Cellidor.  And apart from the thicker tools (and the brass liners on mine  :drool: :D) I find 3 layered Alox fit's in the hand perfectly.

I'm back!!
Jr. Member Posts: 76
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »
I am also a fan of the alox models. The Farmer is one of my favourite SAK's for outdoor usage.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.  ;>

I really dislike the look of bare aluminum shining up through holes in the anodizing.  Bare stainless steel is fine, but not bare aluminum, which forms a nasty oxide on exposure to air.

It'd be great if SAKs were available with G10, Micarta, carbon fiber, jigged bone, and even textured FRN.

However, since those superior options aren't available I can appreciate the humble cellidor scales.

N
No Life Club Posts: 4,230 I just don't know what went wrong.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.  ;>

I really dislike the look of bare aluminum shining up through holes in the anodizing.  Bare stainless steel is fine, but not bare aluminum, which forms a nasty oxide on exposure to air.

It'd be great if SAKs were available with G10, Micarta, carbon fiber, jigged bone, and even textured FRN.

However, since those superior options aren't available I can appreciate the humble cellidor scales.

They're available! ... as a DIY project! :D

Got those frog legs.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »
1. Utilitarian - Alox SAKs are a big step backward because they all lack Phillips drivers,
In case you haven't heard, the can opener on the Farmer(in fact all Vics) works very well as a Phillips. I won't carry a tool that doesn't have one and it works good enough for me that I'll gladly carry it.

Toothpick and tweezers? Eh, I have a Classic on my keyring. It's almost always on there so I don't worry.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,169 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »

Toothpick and tweezers? Eh, I have a Classic on my keyring. It's almost always on there so I don't worry.

I carry a small tin of dental floss.  Doubles as really strong string.  Ain't never had a sliver I couldn't get with needle nose or a sharp knife tip.

No Life Club Posts: 1,694
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »
+1 on the Farmer. I am a big Alox fan or should i say i an just a bag SAK fan. As far as the scales showing wear i tend to carry my well used SAKs more than my new ones. I guess i just like that broke in look.
Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »
1. Utilitarian - Alox SAKs are a big step backward because they all lack Phillips drivers,
In case you haven't heard, the can opener on the Farmer(in fact all Vics) works very well as a Phillips. I won't carry a tool that doesn't have one and it works good enough for me that I'll gladly carry it.

I've heard people make that claim, but it isn't true in my experience.

In exigent circumstances the can opener is better than nothing to turn a Phillips, but in my experience it's also fairly likely to bugger up a screw that requires much torque.

Glad it works well enough for you though.

N
No Life Club Posts: 2,150 WIFE APPROVED
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 12:03:59 AM »
Here I was all nervous about it being FARMER LOVE and this being a family forum and all :ahhh

Then I realized you were talking about the alox farmer ::)
No Life Club Posts: 3,516 Benner fan club #003
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 01:02:05 AM »
Wheew! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think that... :ahhh :ahhh
Sr. Member Posts: 314

P35

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 01:20:44 AM »
another Farmer fan here. The silver alox scales improve with age IMO
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,512
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 02:36:01 AM »
Not such a fan myself.  I don't feel any extra benefit from the beefier tools and a SAK isn't a SAK without a corkscrew (in my head anyway).  I also notice them sitting in my pocket far to much.  Eventually they look good with the worn scales but in the mean time they look terrible.  I'm happy that others like them, but they're just not my cup of Darjeeling.

I find the Cellidor a far warmer and friendlier material to hold, you can clean the scales up or replace them entirely if they become scratched up.  You get a far better selection of tools in the Cellidor range as well. 

Just my 2p worth. :)

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Sr. Member Posts: 486
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 03:53:09 AM »
You get a far better selection of tools in the Cellidor range as well. 
But Cellidors don't have the mighty Awl of the Pioneer/Farmer!

-------
Alexei
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,512
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »
You get a far better selection of tools in the Cellidor range as well. 
But Cellidors don't have the mighty Awl of the Pioneer/Farmer!

True enough, and a mighty awl it is :tu:, but I don't need it every day.  I'm happy to have one sitting at home waiting to be used, but an awl really isn't part of my EDC needs.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
Y'all must have some cheap screws where you live. I've rarely had a problem.

No Life Club Posts: 1,694
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »
I use the screwdriver on the can opener often with out any problems. I prefer it to the Philips on the bottom of a SAK.
Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike
Keeper Of The PowerCut Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,886 - Allan

AHB dk

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »
True...  ;)

"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius."
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »
I use the screwdriver on the can opener often with out any problems. I prefer it to the Philips on the bottom of a SAK.
Mike
Me too, even if I'm carrying a Tinker I still usually use the can opener unless it's a recessed screw.

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:29 PM »
Look, I'm happy for all of you that love your Alox SAKs.  They're not my cup of tea, but so what?

However, some of the rationalizations offered in support of Alox SAKs are just silly:

-Alox SAKs lack some of the handiest implements, but those Phillips drivers, scissors, tweezers, etc. aren't really necessary.  Yeah, right.

-Although they don't have a Phillips, the can opener is just as good or even BETTER than a real Phillips driver.  Yeah, right.

Maybe it'd be better to just admit the obvious:

ALOX SAKs give up some functionality for the sake of appearance.  Some people value their appearance enough to sacrifice some functionality - some people don't.

N
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,975 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 09:26:25 PM »
It's the utter robustness that win's me over :)

The fact that it's stunning is a happy coincidence :)

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
Sr. Member Posts: 486
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »
ALOX SAKs give up some functionality for the sake of appearance.  Some people value their appearance enough to sacrifice some functionality - some people don't.
Riiiight... That's why Model 61 soldier was a standard military issue for almost 50 years... appearance...
I carry a Rambler for all my T&T, scissor, and nail filing needs. I use my Wenger SI for most everything else, from safely cutting heavy duty cable ties with the awl, to opening gallon paint cans with the bottle opener. 91mm cellidor doesn't work for me in those tasks. I do carry CT41 in my laptop bag, and use it frequently, but Alox is a workhorse, and my "farmer love" is not just due to the farmer's good looks.

-------
Alexei
No Life Club Posts: 3,572
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 10:02:16 PM »
I like the hand feel of the alox SAK's . I only wish there wee more of them , preferably with scissors !

Chris
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
ALOX SAKs give up some functionality for the sake of appearance.  Some people value their appearance enough to sacrifice some functionality - some people don't.
Riiiight... That's why Model 61 soldier was a standard military issue for almost 50 years... appearance...

Nothing wrong with choosing a knife based on appearance.

Some people carry a multi blade Case Stockman with fancy scales rather than a plain old SAK because it is a more attractive knife.  But unless you actually work with livestock, the Case Stockman offers less utility than the typical SAK.

The decision is easy for me, because I don't even like appearance of the ALOX SAKs.

To each his own.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $96.10
PayPal Fees: $5.60
Net Balance: $90.50
Below Goal: $209.50