Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bloody customs!

Benner · 221 · 13063

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Bloody customs!
Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 01:17:31 AM
Just tried with the Grip - and you have to pull back the lock to do it (in fact, that's exactly what I do when I open it).

Can't do it with the Centofante, although I can get it to open half way by depressing the lock release as I do it,

Really really flick it.  :D  I have some which seem that they won't go, but when you hit it perfectly they do.  I can do it with every tac folder I own here bar 2, those being a Chinook which has a tight pivot and huge lock bar and the other my Ti-lite which I have overtightened to stop play.  All the others can quite easily.  I even did it with an X-tract and your e306x.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 01:18:03 AM
Just tried with the Grip - and you have to pull back the lock to do it (in fact, that's exactly what I do when I open it).

Can't do it with the Centofante, although I can get it to open half way by depressing the lock release as I do it,

I can flick my starmate and endura, well its more a swing and flick than a flick.

Yeah that describes it a little better.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 01:20:16 AM
Oh, and holding the knife upside down and flicking the blade out downwards may work as well.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 01:20:49 AM

Really really flick it.  :D  I have some which seem that they won't go, but when you hit it perfectly they do.  I can do it with every tac folder I own here bar 2, those being a Chinook which has a tight pivot and huge lock bar and the other my Ti-lite which I have overtightened to stop play.  All the others can quite easily.  I even did it with an X-tract and your e306x.

Nah, that would be illegal  :P

I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 01:21:26 AM
Not helpful!  :twak: :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 01:24:21 AM
Knives are bad m'kay?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 01:25:04 AM
Knives are bad m'kay?

Thought that was drugs?  :D

Seems they are.  ::)
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 01:25:43 AM
I say that we drive up there Ben - what do you reckon?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 01:26:56 AM
I say that we drive up there Ben - what do you reckon?

I'll get the "Bloody bunch of W*NK*RS" banner ready.  :salute: :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 01:28:48 AM
Lol.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 01:30:45 AM
Dissasembly of the knife (if possible) could have it get past the microscopic eye of your Big Brother there in the UK.  
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 01:37:46 AM
I have this real cheap knife that I bought at one of those traveling tool shows. I believe it is a good example of the gravity issue.

Even took a video after reading about your woes.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 01:39:01 AM
I think that's what Ben was describing yeah.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: September 26, 2009, 01:40:43 AM
Yup, that's it.  Some require a lot more force though, but if they open eventually, they can be classified.  They even got a UKPK to open like that.  ::)
I'm back!!

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 26, 2009, 01:42:09 AM
I can't do it with my rookie as the blade isn't heavy enough, well I can if I hold the knife upsidedown and flick it, kinda like a reverse Spyder drop.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 01:49:15 AM
Dissasembly of the knife (if possible) could have it get past the microscopic eye of your Big Brother there in the UK.  

Or just tighten pivot so it can barely be opened.  ???

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 03:06:03 AM

Then you cant say it's "knife parts"..or "broken knife" ;)

A folded knife might not even get opened, they might just look in the box, see a knife and do whatever they do with it.  A dirty ziplock full of metal bits might not get as much attention. 
[

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 03:09:51 AM

A folded knife might not even get opened, they might just look in the box, see a knife and do whatever they do with it.  A dirty ziplock full of metal bits might not get as much attention. 

They were boxed up in the original Buck Knives boxes. I like the pivot idea though.  :tu:  That's what I do when I send knives to Canada.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 03:14:45 AM

They were boxed up in the original Buck Knives boxes. I like the pivot idea though.  :tu:  That's what I do when I send knives to Canada.

Custom guy 1: Man I really want one of those new cool Buck folders but I spent all my money on beer and stripper this month.

Custom guy 2: Hey check out what I found, new in box Buck folder! Isn't this the model you want?

Rest is history...

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 03:22:31 AM

Custom guy 1: Man I really want one of those new cool Buck folders but I spent all my money on beer and stripper this month.

Custom guy 2: Hey check out what I found, new in box Buck folder! Isn't this the model you want?

Rest is history...

Wondered the same thing myself

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 03:26:59 AM

Rest is history...

:twak:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 03:51:48 AM
Sorry to hear that, Ben. Canada Customs are also known for their either application of gravity/centrigugal force tests on anything that looks like tactical folder, so tightening of pivots, where possible, is a must when shipping to Canada. UK seems to be the same way  >:(
-------
Alexei

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 05:08:20 AM
Ben that is just a complete load of smurfing smurf , bullsmurf & smurfed up manure. I mean honestly is a gravity knife faster deploying than a flipper & consequently more dangerous  :ahhh :ahhh what a loud of wanton smurfed up bullsmurf. As for destroying the whole package because of one item , now that is just plan smurfed up. Is there a civil liberties group or a ombudsmen office that can be your advocate Ben. Or is there legal aid , that is free legal representation you could access (I know a bit of a long shot).

Ben what if you contacted a lawyer & see if you can get a quote/cost of representation. I would throw 10 quid into a fighting fund for you mate & I reckon there might be some other members who would do the same  :tu: :tu: :tu:

Bummer for you & John  >:( >:(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 05:54:36 AM
I'm sorry, but "destroying the entire package because of one item" reeks a bit too much of U.S. Custom's infamous "Destroying a shipment of Cuban Cohibas one cigar at a time" schtick...

That bleeding sucks.  Don't these people have real things to do, like preventing actual contraband/dangerous substances/WMDs from being smuggled into/out of the country?  Or is it too much trouble to inspect the big crates labelled "Just Machine Parts-HONEST"?  Better/easier to harass someone over a pocketknife, I guess...  :bnghd:
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #54 on: September 26, 2009, 09:47:55 AM
The anger this causes me is hard to contain. If something's not legal - then fine - confiscate it and take action against the people trying to buy them. That's absolutely fine.

But there is absolutely no basis for this at all.

Let's face it, this is going to happen to us all sooner or later.

What about writing to your MP?
That's pretty much the size of it :(

Damn I'm sorry to hear that mate :cry:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #55 on: September 26, 2009, 12:38:03 PM
wow Ben that really sucks. I hope you get it sorted out,
don't delay and go get your other stuff buddy!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 12:57:07 PM
Ben have you appealed this mad decision there is a procedure for doing so,

my guess is if it's plain that you can purchase the knife here legally,then it would follow that it's legal to import.

And before anyone suggests it's ok for dealers to import illegals then I'm sorry they are not above the law guys, in fact their shipments get more scrutiny in customs   :police:

so What I'm saying is if you can prove you can purchase it here, then you may have a case  :salute:

I don't know if this was helpful but! if you appeal you have nothing to lose by doing so  :tu:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: September 26, 2009, 02:12:31 PM
Its daft but I have to say I don't think Ben has much of a chance.  I'd cut my loses in order to get the other items from them.

Taking them to court would cost.  They're not likely to capitulate in the face of such action as its not like going up against an individual or a company, they have tax payers money to cover their legal expenses.  There is also no guarantee that the court would find in Ben's favour.

I'd forget about the media being useful.  Its a knife... do I really need to say any more in the current climate?

It sucks :(

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: September 26, 2009, 03:06:58 PM
Its daft but I have to say I don't think Ben has much of a chance.  I'd cut my loses in order to get the other items from them.

Taking them to court would cost.  They're not likely to capitulate in the face of such action as its not like going up against an individual or a company, they have tax payers money to cover their legal expenses.  There is also no guarantee that the court would find in Ben's favour.

I'd forget about the media being useful.  Its a knife... do I really need to say any more in the current climate?

It sucks :(

Well Neil maybe I was talking aloud  ;) if it were me I would take it all the way as that knife by definition is not a gravity knife per sa  :D

After all I can just go to heinnie's and get this which is very similar  http://www.heinnie.com/g8kXxc432774/Knives/Gerber/Gerber-Firestorm/p-92-144-1033/

But that's just me I don't give up too easily when it comes to a wrong doing  :salute:

All I can say customs have gone flipping mad these days but the good news is they don't always get away with it in court  >:D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 03:22:22 PM
I'm all for standing behind a principle and running with it.. if you've got the cash upfront to do so  :-\
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%