Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Removable Bit Driver?

us Offline Deere Man

Removable Bit Driver?
on: September 23, 2009, 05:52:21 AM
I recently purchased a Leatherman Blast.  I haven't received it yet, because the ebay seller decided to wait four days to ship it, but whatever.  Anyway, I just love accessories, so I've been eye balling the removable bit driver for it (and for the ST 300 when I get one).  I really like the bit driver on my Surge, so I'm curious about this one.  I'm not wild about it being a full size hex driver.  Sure that offers more utility, but I know from experience that a regular driver doesn't hold LM flat bits all that well.  I also know that I'll have to buy another bit kit for it so that I can have the bits I'll actually use for it, which will mean even more $$.  So, for those here who have one, is it worth it?  Do you use it often?  How well does it function?  Thanks guys, and gals. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Removable Bit Driver?
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:12:25 AM
The Removable Bit Driver works well enough, but for whatever reason I don't use mine much. :-\  

As far as fit goes, the adapter fits snugly on the phillips screwdriver. And while the flat bits are sort of rattly in the full hex driver, the spring clip holds them securely.

The best thing that can be said is the little carrying card (which holds the driver and up to 7 bits) doesn't take up much space, so a person can carry it without hardly noticing it's there.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:02:12 PM
I know it can also work on some of the square shank Gerber Phillips drivers, but how would one work on a Spirit's Phillips?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:09:53 PM
I know it can also work on some of the square shank Gerber Phillips drivers, but how would one work on a Spirit's Phillips?

This has been discussed before and I believe the general concensus was that it worked, but it was only to be used as such with less torquing.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:12:38 PM
It would but only in a pinch... I know cause this subject has been brought up before (at least a couple of times by me...  :-[). I've even tried an old-school Gerber adapter on the Spirit driver and it's a no-go. I mean, it fits but only engages the edges of the driver head so overtorquing it could ruin the driver. In any case, I believe the Vic ratchet or L-shaped driver are a better fit for this kind of work, as they both give you longer reach and more torque.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:40:26 PM
I recently purchased a Leatherman Blast.  I haven't received it yet, because the ebay seller decided to wait four days to ship it, but whatever.  Anyway, I just love accessories, so I've been eye balling the removable bit driver for it (and for the ST 300 when I get one).  I really like the bit driver on my Surge, so I'm curious about this one.  I'm not wild about it being a full size hex driver.  Sure that offers more utility, but I know from experience that a regular driver doesn't hold LM flat bits all that well.  I also know that I'll have to buy another bit kit for it so that I can have the bits I'll actually use for it, which will mean even more $$.  So, for those here who have one, is it worth it?  Do you use it often?  How well does it function?  Thanks guys, and gals. 

Is having the LM flat bits important then?

I think Bob sums up my thoughts on the removable driver well, but if I was acquiring extra bits to work with the adapter, I'd get proper hex bits I think.

Another good point about the LM adapter, is that it works with the Kick, Fuse, Core, Juice, Pruners and some LM knives too. I'm not sure about the ST300 as I haven't looked too closely at one yet. Might be a factor though!
I used to come here a lot.

Offline John Frederick

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 06:42:06 AM
Another good point about the LM adapter, is that it works with the Kick, Fuse, Core, Juice, Pruners and some LM knives too. I'm not sure about the ST300 as I haven't looked too closely at one yet. Might be a factor though!

It fits the ST300 as well  ;)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 01:59:57 PM
I know that now :D
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20