Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKWiki Feedback and Questions Thread

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
SAKWiki Feedback and Questions Thread
on: September 27, 2009, 05:40:26 PM
Hi,

I thought (scary) that it would be a good idea to start a feedback thread for SAKWiki.

This is a thread where you can give feedback and ask questions like:
  • This page does not format nicely on my browser.
  • The page does not display well with screen resolution X-by-Y.
  • I like/ed it the new/old way.
  • Where did my image go?
  • What happened to that menu option?
  • The wrong image is attached to...
  • Would it be a good idea to link this to that?
  • This is incorrect but I'm scared to change it. (Don't be scared, We/I change it back if we/I don't like it. Use the edit comments to say why it's being changed.)  The Truth is Out There!

I would also like to ask people if they like something one way or the other from time to time.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: SAKWiki Feedback and Questions Thread
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:59:50 PM
The Traveller pic is still wrong, but I have one with everything splayed out if you need it.

Offline P35

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 06:00:52 PM
the SAK Wiki works fine for me. I use a Mac computer and Firefox

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:21:23 PM
The Traveller pic is still wrong, but I have one with everything splayed out if you need it.
Yes Sir!  I personally always like user's pictures if they are the right size and reasonable quality. 
You can send it by PM or upload it to the 91mm image gallery, and I'll attach it.  I can crop and scale if necessary, but if you upload it try to keep the file size reasonable, and the wiki can scale the image but not crop.  I can PM you my email address if that is easier.

I'm courious on what's different, as I have a Traveller-Lite (but not the Traveller), or are you talking about the original Traveller (no electronic scales)?

Thanks!

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:24:39 PM
Original Traveller (Climber without keyring).  I'll pm it to you.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:24:48 PM
I personally try to remember to check Firefox and IE for browsers, especially when I'm trying new formatting since I'm picky on spacing and they all do it a little different.  I always have to balance consistency and estetics.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 04:12:46 AM
Technical note on Wiki Page editing.

Note:   There is no reason to remove Wiki-Page links that appear to be redundantly defined; for example: ((page-name|description)), where page-name and description are equal e.g. ((classic|classic)). 

This is technically a correct way to define a link and is very helpful if pages are renamed.  Sometimes it gets in the way on page renames but this is less often the case.  In any-case there is no need to make page edits just to change what is already working correctly, and is consistently defined.

Great to see we have some new contributors to SAKwiki.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 05:05:19 AM
It's amazing how far SAKWiki has come.  Huge thanks to all the guys that contribute!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:59 AM
As far as feed back goes i am not much help only thing i would like to say is what great job you guys are doing. It is a very valuable tool to beginner collector like my self. Again great job and thank you for your hard work.
Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 02:22:49 AM
I, like many others, really appreciate SAKWiki.  I can't count the number of times I've used it for information.  Whether it was information on an existing SAK I had or one that I was thinking about buying.  When it comes to SAK knowledge, I'm not in your league but if one day I do notice something I can contribute I know where to go.  Keep up the excellent work.
[

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 06:17:08 AM
suggestions: :think:

-Split the tools list into Main Layer and back layer sections. if it is an option on both just put the same link to both

- add factory spring layer info. Like Saw layer on base 91mm models usually has no backspring, on higher specs 91mm it can (chisel?/Fine screwdriver?) 84mm cant (i assume)
Also which tools use the same spring. EG metal file, wood saw or reamer/screwdriver/ chisel etc etc. This be a great database for modders.

-Fieldmaster and huntsman can be in related knives for ranger and master craftsman

-add me, registered just need acceptance
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 06:54:34 AM
-Split the tools list into Main Layer and back layer sections. if it is an option on both just put the same link to both
I've been thinking about this one.  Could possibly do with see references to back/front tools for tools like the Phillips.  OR could create an addtional icon that indicates back-side tool, because most of the time I go looking for a tool by name, and some people may not find what they are looking for if they have to check too many places.  The tools are now being separated on the pages for the individual knives (you may have noticed not all are changed yet), but I'm not sure this is good for the tool list.  Maybe separate lists Front/Back/All?  Does anyone else have comments on this orgainization? 

- add factory spring layer info. Like Saw layer on base 91mm models usually has no backspring, on higher specs 91mm it can (chisel?/Fine screwdriver?) 84mm cant (i assume)
Also which tools use the same spring. EG metal file, wood saw or reamer/screwdriver/ chisel etc etc. This be a great database for modders.
Been thinking about a new section for this type of info.  SOSAK has some of this info, and there was some information of the springs compiled by Neil I think.  Need to figure out how to organize it, but I think putting the information into a new list(s)/place would be best. "91mm models usually has no backspring", of course you mean "have no backspring tools" rather than springs.  There were some threads on Tool/Spring Compatibility, maybe we can formulate an organization here.  Maybe we could start with coming up with how many different 91mm backsprings are there?  Then as you say associate each tool with it's compatible spring.  Really need help from some Modders on this one.

-Fieldmaster and huntsman can be in related knives for ranger and master craftsman
OK as soon as you're registered you can do that. A good place to start.

I believe you're added.   Welcome!

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 07:33:13 AM
I believe you're added.   Welcome!

excellent now to fill the wiki with dubious p0rn links  :ahhh
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 12:10:53 PM
Hi,

As some of you have no doubt noticed things are changing at SAKwiki.  The base Wiki software was updated and this is causing a few issues as well as presenting a new look (which still might change or revert back).  I understand this was somewhat unexpected, but the new software will help in the long term. 

Currenly I've found that FireFox is currently providing a better presentation on the site than IE if you need to get at some SAK info.

I've noticed problems with several images not being displayed, and will start fixing those, but waiting for some possible global site fixes for other issues.  Some Gallery access seems to be affected as well.

Stay Tuned, 2010 should be a great year!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 12:48:48 PM
Hey everyone,

While updating the SAKWiki logo (created for Grant's business cards for the upcoming SHOT show), I discovered the SAKWiki software was WAY out of date, so I pushed through the updates to bring it up to date at last. This also allows us to bring in new features and a chance at a new cleaner look. I have just changed the theme again, and pending feedback, may keep this one as I suspect the previous one had some IE issues and I have only tested this one briefly in IE6 and IE8 under winXP.

Some problems have arisen due to the upgrade where some items are no longer working as they did.

One example is the "Galleries" link in the menu. It seems the old version is phased out in the current version. This means items will need to be migrated to the new system.

Another is the TAGS issue. We're also working on that.

There are some Permissions issues that need looking at, and as I'm not a regular user of the software I need feedback as to what is broken.

Unfortunately I'm not finding the Tikiwiki site to be of much use. This may take some time, but we'll get there. Tikiwiki docs to leave a lot to be desired, there are a lot of unanswered posts in the forums, and the search is slow and rarely gives me relevant results (and when it does, you end up with 50 posts from the same thread...)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 01:57:33 PM
Note if you use the Image Links from the Tools or Knives lists you can access many of the galleries.

I can confirm IE presentation is now much better.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 03:12:23 PM
yes, the sub? galleries still seem to be fine, it's the base link (perhaps admins only?) that doesn't work. I tried creating a new menu link for it, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Glad the display issues are better, is the BOX working properly now too?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 04:20:38 PM
I have some things to add:

1. Deluxe Angler: same as todays, but with scissors.  

2. Craftsman circa 1987 or so, NO pliers, but with fish scaler.  BUT, it is in the USA...will be able to do that one in late July 2010 at the earliest.

3. Swiss Flame.  I have one.  The pic on swiswiki is from a catalog or something.  I can send pics now, as well as the Deluxe Angler pics.

4. Need a portion on there for commemoratives: 1884-1984, 1897-1997, etc.

5. I have a Wenger Cigare...not seen on the Wiki.  I can remedy that, too.

6. Wenger "STG-90' SAK, the one for the STG-90 assault rifle.  I would love to contribute to that one.  Pics are ready!!!

Please reply with how to do it!!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:22:55 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 04:33:24 PM

Bren10man,  Can you maybe just wait a few days until we can get things working again.  Those all sound like great additions for the wiki.

Whoey, I think the problem with the Parent Galleries is the Sort-Order.  Note the 58mm gallery is broken as well and those Galleries with Sub-galleries for Tools are working.  For some reason I think it is related to sort-order because that was different for the Parent Ones, while I tried to set all the others to show by id, descending.  Could it be that for some sort-orders it used different DB tables rather than filesystem or something like that?  Maybe just need to regenerate the galleries.  Also I can't Admin the Image Galleries, the link just defaults to the last used admin link... very strange.

I'm going to create a small set of Catalog Links in the Knife List to get access to those.

Yes I think the BOX plugin is now rendering closer to what it did in the past.  Thanks!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 08:53:39 PM
Great site and very useful to a newbie to SAK's like myself, but i registered earlier today i didnt get a email (not sure if i should) and when i try and log in   i get Account disabled ? possibly i need to wait for a email to open the acount ?

paul

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 09:22:55 PM
Great site and very useful to a newbie to SAK's like myself, but i registered earlier today i didnt get a email (not sure if i should) and when i try and log in   i get Account disabled ? possibly i need to wait for a email to open the acount ?

paul

We had to do a full criminal and financial background check on you first Zed, including character references. :police:  (not really) :D  You should be all set now. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 09:30:38 PM

paul

We had to do a full criminal and financial background check on you first Zed, including character references. :police:  (not really) :D  You should be all set now. :salute:

:rofl: few glad you didnt  ;) i know get this when logging in (Permission denied. You cannot view this page) i cant even view any pages , probably me again  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 09:42:11 PM
Hmmmm. Everything looks okay. :think: Could you try logging in again please?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 10:12:37 PM
Hmmmm. Everything looks okay. :think: Could you try logging in again please?

still says (Permission denied. You cannot view this page. )  :( sorry to be a pain guys,

paul

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 10:18:55 PM
Its odd,if i log out i can view the page, if i log in it says Permission denied. You cannot view this page.  ???

Offline P35

Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 02:39:06 AM
Its odd,if i log out i can view the page, if i log in it says Permission denied. You cannot view this page.  ???

same problem here

Offline P35

Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 02:59:26 AM
the SAK Wiki works fine for me. I use a Mac computer and Firefox

not anymore today i get a permission denied

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 03:17:54 AM
Hmmm I might see the problem, I'd like to do a test. 

Try again now.  You still might not have all the permissions you should have, but you should be able to view pages when logged in.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:51 AM
great thanks it now works, but i get this message on some pics (WARNING: Plugin disabled TAG!) i get some images and not others,thanks for sorting this out as this is a great site,

paul

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:03 AM
great thanks it now works, but i get this message on some pics (WARNING: Plugin disabled TAG!) i get some images and not others,thanks for sorting this out as this is a great site,

paul

just noticed i cant get any pics now and it says (WARNING: Plugin disabled TAG!)  :(  if i log out i get most pics,

paul
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:46:30 AM by zed6309 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69