Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plier based multi's are begining to leave me cold .

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Plier based multi's are begining to leave me cold .
on: September 28, 2009, 10:33:25 PM
I have schlepped plier based multis since 1985 . Tried most of them , great devices . I have been doing a critical evaluation on what I actually use .

In the work context , I carry some of the finest dedicated pliers on the planet , no real room for multi's there . Over the years , about all I ever used were the serrated blades . When I packed a Wave , it was basically a politically correct Tactical , welcome everywhere .

At home , I have dedicated tools within easy reach .( I live in a two bedroom apartment )

When out and about , pliers seldom come into play . A multi in the manbag or day pack is all I need .

I think in the future , I'll mostly be EDC'ing SAK's for normal bumming around . Multi's will continue to be a welcome addition to the day pack , and for tasks like helping people move etc. They may see some service around outboard mechanical devices , other than that I'll be schlepping mostly SAK's

You Bros. are basically responsible for this stae of affairs , as you have stimulated me into giving the EDC lineup serious critical thought .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Plier based multi's are begining to leave me cold .
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:36:22 PM
I've kind off reached the same conclusion :)

Although I do occasionally edc a Swisstool or Spirit from time to time. My main edc these days is either a Swisschamp, modded Cadet or Farmer :) 
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:41:05 PM
I don't really use pliers so I can get by using a SAK.
(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:44:18 PM
I've kind off reached the same conclusion :)

Although I do occasionally edc a Swisstool or Spirit from time to time. My main edc these days is either a Swisschamp, modded Cadet or Farmer :) 

shush!!  :ahhh :ahhh

People will hear you!

Actually, yea, dedicated tools will always outperform a MT.  My MT pliers will never match my heavy duty pliers/cutters, channel locks, visegrips and wirestripper.  However, when I'm on the tractor and a branch catches a wire and pulls it loose out back in the field, it's nice to have the Charge available to strip, twist and crimp things back into shape.  

Also doubles to pull hairpin clips and cotter pins when needed.

Man you guys are such killjoys!  :twak:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:45:51 PM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:26 PM
No offence Whippmaster , but most tractors of my aquaintance have small tool boxes welded to some part of their anatomy , these will contain quite a few vice grips , chanelocks etc.

Chris

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:10:27 PM
No offence Whippmaster , but most tractors of my aquaintance have small tool boxes welded to some part of their anatomy , these will contain quite a few vice grips , chanelocks etc.

Chris

My compact Ford 1710 has no toolbox.  My Ford 5600 has a toolbox, but it contains clip pins, hitchpins, specific box wrenches, quart of oil, rags and water.  I could toss in a pair of pliers, but they would need to be nonspecifc.  Pretty hard to wire something with channellocks or Visegrips.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:22:44 AM
I have schlepped plier based multis since 1985 . Tried most of them , great devices . I have been doing a critical evaluation on what I actually use .

In the work context , I carry some of the finest dedicated pliers on the planet , no real room for multi's there . Over the years , about all I ever used were the serrated blades . When I packed a Wave , it was basically a politically correct Tactical , welcome everywhere .

At home , I have dedicated tools within easy reach .( I live in a two bedroom apartment )

When out and about , pliers seldom come into play . A multi in the manbag or day pack is all I need .

I think in the future , I'll mostly be EDC'ing SAK's for normal bumming around . Multi's will continue to be a welcome addition to the day pack , and for tasks like helping people move etc. They may see some service around outboard mechanical devices , other than that I'll be schlepping mostly SAK's

You Bros. are basically responsible for this stae of affairs , as you have stimulated me into giving the EDC lineup serious critical thought .

Chris

GASP!! :o For a moment there I thought you were giving up on multis Chris! :ahhh but having one available in your bag or pack is acceptable. :salute:

You can stay. :police: ;) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:56:40 AM
every ones needs are different, you will find out what you need and dont need. I ride motorcycles all the time, out there on the road my mt's have come in handy too many times for me to leave home with out them. :D

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 08:55:20 AM
I agree Styerman, plier based MTs are cool, handy, very nice to have but I hardly
need them "out there" and my SAKs do the job.

I also have good dedicated pliers that do the job, but I have been trying to use my MTs for
jobs more and more over the past few years, especially needle-nose jobs
and my Spirit has been excellent, but mainly at home.

Still I'm glad I have them both and still want more of each! :twak:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:08:29 AM
The other night I was getting petrol on the way from work & the fuel cap door release spring does not push the door quite far enough open, done it for ages & I keep thinking should fix that  ::) ::) :D. Any ways I thought bugger it, Spirit in pocket, pliers bent the spring back into shape all fixed. It is very handy having pliers sometimes, chances are I would of gone home & forgotten about the fuel cap door spring (again :D :D) if I did not have the old Spirit in pocket  :D :D :D.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 02:06:59 PM
Yep, most of the time I really don't need pliers either. I do like having them in the bag if I'm carrying one though. At the moment I just have a SAK and a knife on me.

It does seem a bit wrong though  :o :think:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 02:20:21 PM
I really like having pliers on me.  I don't use them all that often - but I still take the old "rather have it and not need it" approach.  If I carried dedicated pliers around then I'd probably not bother with carrying an MT either, but I don't so the MT stays in the pocket.

Not got much call to buy a dedicated toolkit in NZ right now; I'm not planning to stay here for more than 18 months and currently living in a hostel - not much needing a full toolkit.  But the Charge has come in very handy on several occasions.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:34 PM
I really like having pliers on me.  I don't use them all that often - but I still take the old "rather have it and not need it" approach.  If I carried dedicated pliers around then I'd probably not bother with carrying an MT either, but I don't so the MT stays in the pocket.

Not got much call to buy a dedicated toolkit in NZ right now; I'm not planning to stay here for more than 18 months and currently living in a hostel - not much needing a full toolkit.  But the Charge has come in very handy on several occasions.

Situations like that are just about ideal for plier based multi's . I still pack them in my briefcase , manbag , and daypack . For me , they just aren't worth the weight penalty they incurr in everyday belt carry , particularly in a work context . I'm pretty belt heavy to begin with . Hope you are enjoying New Zealand !I was born in Duneidun in the South Island .

Chris

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 04:47:35 PM

Situations like that are just about ideal for plier based multi's . I still pack them in my briefcase , manbag , and daypack . For me , they just aren't worth the weight penalty they incurr in everyday belt carry , particularly in a work context . I'm pretty belt heavy to begin with . Hope you are enjoying New Zealand !I was born in Duneidun in the South Island .

Chris

Cheers Chris.  I'm really liking it.  Great country.  In New Plymouth for 12 months then moving on.  Was considering going somewhere in the south island for 6 months to work.  Any suggestions?  Only restriction is it needs to be near a hospital :)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 04:54:30 PM
Anywhere around Nelson ( finest microclimate in the world ) , good vinyards , must undoubtably have a Hospital . You might like Christchurch , or Duneidun .

Chris

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 06:04:42 PM
You know, I dived into the deep end a while back.  Went nowhere without (at the very least) a Juice or SwissChamp in my pocket, and a Charge or Surge in the car close by.  (The Charge paid for itself early on, in working around the house.)  For whatever reason, things kind of changed.  As of late, I've been more and more carrying nothing more than a standard slipjoint in my pocket (usually either a Case congress or stockman pattern, though I did take a shine to a Kissing Crane whittler knife).  When I needed some extra cutting ability, I'd slip a Vic Climber, or a Wenger Handyman in my pocket, just because of the scissors.  For the most part now, doing cleanup in the house out on the farm, the straight knives have been more than adequate.

Though I did have one little incident...  Had to change a lightbulb, which required climbing up on a table, and removing the globe.  The screws holding the globe hadn't been out in years, and were frozen in place.  No WD-40 handy...  Luckily, I did have my LM Blast in the car, and a little awkward torquing got everything freed up.  Other than that, though, a SAK or a standard slippie has handled everything as of late.   :D
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 08:43:01 PM
I find pliers too useful at work to leave home without a multi, but a SAK suffices in leisure time. Having said that I'll probably need a multi if I haven't got one so one is usually nearby.
Gabba gabba hey!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD