Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Catalog on SAKwiki

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
New Catalog on SAKwiki
on: September 29, 2009, 04:49:37 AM
Early 80s again probably, but prior to Combo-Tool.  Some nice models, and some other interesting details.

Thanks to Vincent again for these new page scans.

Enjoy!

Offline Ben X

Re: New Catalog on SAKwiki
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:12:17 AM
Looking over that, I am reminded of Vic's lack of creativity in naming haha. They recycled names like Tourist, Waiter, Cavalier, Golfer, and so forth, and obscured the ability of collectors to keep track. However I'm glad to see the SAK wiki coming together to help untangle that web, nice work!  :salute:
"

us Offline bren10man

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:50:15 PM
The Craftsman pictured in that catalog is just like the Craftsman I have back in CONUS I bought in Alaska in 1996.  EXCEPT:

1. Post 1986/87 bottle opener/screwdriver: opens half and full in lieu of full only

2. Post 1986/87 reamer with sewing eye

3. Post 1986/87 fine screwdriver on the bottom of the knife
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:27:49 PM
Looking over that, I am reminded of Vic's lack of creativity in naming haha. They recycled names like Tourist, Waiter, Cavalier, Golfer, and so forth, and obscured the ability of collectors to keep track. However I'm glad to see the SAK wiki coming together to help untangle that web, nice work!  :salute:

Yes, no, maybe and sideways..... :D

Yes, the naming leaves a lot to be desired, but these names aren't Ibach's fault- they were named in North America for the North American market, which originally wasn't Victorinox.  I doubt much actual thought went into naming them, and they probably just wanted to give them names that would appeal to the tradesmen, hobbyists and outdoorsmen they were targeting.  Of course at the time, they used their own inventory system, which is why US model numbers are different from the factory numbers as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:50:37 AM
The Craftsman pictured in that catalog is just like the Craftsman I have back in CONUS I bought in Alaska in 1996.  EXCEPT:

1. Post 1986/87 bottle opener/screwdriver: opens half and full in lieu of full only

2. Post 1986/87 reamer with sewing eye

3. Post 1986/87 fine screwdriver on the bottom of the knife

... and interesting enough I have that identical knife as per catalog but it's labeled 1.4773 rather than 1.4793.  The knife is new and model number is labeled on the blade with a transparant label.  I have a few knives using that labeling, but not sure if that was a Victorinox labeling or distributor.  I've never had it show a discrepency before.

... and more interesting is neither number matches the current published model-number system.   hmmmm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:10:35 AM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 12:34:00 AM
...and.... Now I also have a quite similar knife with a nice inlaid Shuttle on it thanks to Gadget Guy.  The only difference is no Fish Scaler, the Phillips is round (still has can-key), the Shuttle on scales, and the older one weighs 133g while the Shuttle weighs 120.5.  So the only real tool difference is the Fish Scaler.  I'm surprised the weight is quite noticeable.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%