Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix P3D

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Fenix P3D
on: April 26, 2007, 10:16:21 PM
I got the Fenix P3D in the mail this morning.  It comes with a holster, a lanyard zip tie, a extra clicky switch and two extra rubber o-rings.  This light is bright. It has 6 different settings, Turbo can be activated by clicking the tailcap then lightly half click to activate the strobe.  The other 4 modes low, medium, regular and SOS can be activated by turning the bezel and clicking the tail cap for the desired modes. It's a little strange but with some practice it's easy to switch through the the different settings. Compared to the P1D on turbo the P3D on turbo is brighter to the eye. Fenix advertised the P1D at 135 lumens on turbo while the P3D at 160 Lumens on turbo.
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 55.52 KB)
new1.jpg
* new1.jpg (Filesize: 17.45 KB)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:24:09 PM by prime77 »
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Fenix P3D
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 10:17:45 PM
Compared to the P1D and LM Charge Ti
new2.jpg
* new2.jpg (Filesize: 19.35 KB)
new3.jpg
* new3.jpg (Filesize: 34.42 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:18:52 PM
With 2AA minimag LED
new4.jpg
* new4.jpg (Filesize: 25.82 KB)
"

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 10:40:45 PM
Very nice.  While I could do without the SOS mode, I really like the way Fenix set up the user interface on these for the 6 different modes.  The modes I use most often (low, turbo) are quickly accessible without complication.  I do wish the low mode were much dimmer though--it's too much for dark-adjusted eyes at close to range.
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:47:37 PM
The SOS seems to go very slow. Kind of like SOS for some one really bad at morse code :P
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 10:53:16 PM
NutSAK, with the manual for the P3D under the user and maintenance section it says to use the Turbo mode sparingly do to excessive amount of heat build up problems. Can you mess up the LED using it on Turbo for to long or that just Fenix covering all it's bases in case of problems?
Picture 1367 (Medium).jpg
* Picture 1367 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 96.75 KB)
"

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:04:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If the light gets really warm in turbo, then don't use it as much.  Fenix tends to be well within the LED durability limits on their specs.

I look at it this way...  That LED will run for nearly 10 years straight at recommended power levels (which includes turbo mode).  Are you going to ever run that light enough to add up to 10 years of use?  I doubt it, because there will be something better come along that you want.  Running it in turbo may shorten the lifespan somewhat, but I doubt you're ever going to see any effects from it.
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:17:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If the light gets really warm in turbo, then don't use it as much.  Fenix tends to be well within the LED durability limits on their specs.

I look at it this way...  That LED will run for nearly 10 years straight at recommended power levels (which includes turbo mode).  Are you going to ever run that light enough to add up to 10 years of use?  I doubt it, because there will be something better come along that you want.  Running it in turbo may shorten the lifespan somewhat, but I doubt you're ever going to see any effects from it.
Thanks
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 02:22:30 AM
Nice new toy Prime!

Uh, seems like you guys already mentioned this somewhere, but what batteries does this thing take again?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 02:27:08 AM
It takes two CR123s

* new.jpg (Filesize: 23.57 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 08:38:31 AM
Very nice.  While I could do without the SOS mode, I really like the way Fenix set up the user interface on these for the 6 different modes.  The modes I use most often (low, turbo) are quickly accessible without complication.  I do wish the low mode were much dimmer though--it's too much for dark-adjusted eyes at close to range.
After carrying the light for the past few days I agree with what you said about the user interface. I keep the bezel turned so that I can select low with the clicky switch then turn it to turbo if I need the extra light. 
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD