Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unbelievable!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Unbelievable!
on: October 08, 2009, 05:07:15 PM
Gonna gripe a bit:

As you know I'm having surgery tomorrow, not a huge deal but it has been the catalyst for all kinds of stuff.
First, I get a call from human resources and my boss informing me that when I am cleared to return to work that I actually have to reapply for my job and that I may not be going back to my former position.  Now I think this is horribly unfair since I got hurt at work and am on workman's comp but apparently it is legal for them to do this.  I'm not "fired" but I have to reapply for my job and hope that I get hired.  Ridiculous!
Secondly, Mom is hell bent on coming up for this even though it won't take but about 45 minutes for the entire procedures.  She was supposed to come up tomorrow morning because surgery was scheduled for 11 am but now...
Third problem, the doctors office just today at like 830 am called and said, "We forgot about your latex allergy so now you're scheduled first case at 730, be here at 600 am"  This presents a problem because now Mom is coming up tonight and the second bedroom is our storage room and needs to be cleaned out so she'll have a place to sleep.  So guess what I'm gonna be doing today????
Unbelievable.  Oh, and, possible fourth problem, my brother in law has the flu so while I was supposed to go home this weekend, I probably won't now and Mom may be staying the whole weekend...I love my mom, don't get me wrong, but 3 adults and 2 dogs in a 2 bedroom apartment and a mother who is not wholly comfortable with my relationship does not a stress free weekend make!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  I'm ok, just griping a bit.  Sorry...we'll now return to regularly scheduled MT.O business.

Have a great day everyone,
Kelly
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Unbelievable!
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:09:58 PM
Gez, sound's like your in for a bit of a roller coaster ride :-\

As for your bosses :twak: :twak: Sadly that's not that unusual anymore, but it sure doesn't make it right >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 05:31:07 PM
I'm not an expert but I used to handle HR type situations, and that seems very sketchy to me.  If you are out on disability or whatever, and you're still employed then the cannot make make you reapply in hopes that you may be hired again.  They can fill your position while you are out, but when you return they either have to give you your old position back or one that is comparable at the same pay grade and benefits as your previous job.  This whole reapply and you may get your job back is BS.  Good luck on your surgery.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:33:43 PM
That's what I thought Zack.  They are swearing up and down that they can do it that way.  They also ran my FMLA conconcurrent with workman's comp so now my FMLA is almost gone ( I was hurt a year ago at work and was off for a few weeks healing from that and they used up my FMLA for that too).  It's crap!  If I get fired, I'm contacting an attorney. 
Thanks! 
:)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 05:40:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the Kelly, but remember, as much as everything else seems to be out of whack, just remember the important thing- everyone is trying to help you in any way they can.

Your mother may not be comfortable with your relationship, but she's coming anyway to try and help out.  That means she cares enough to try and deal with her discomfort for what is really important.

Your boss is probably trying to cover his arse, but the reality is that you are probably the best person qualified to do the job, and have the experience, so it's not likely that anyone will replace you.  

Your crowded apartment?  Well, if you are laid up for a little while (and any surgery will leave you groggy and partially out of it for some time) you likely won't be contributing to the crowd much so much as be plopped in one place and left there until the tinkle fairy comes a-calling.

I realize that's a gross oversimplification, but these are the thoughts you need to keep with you as you prepare for going in for any procedure.  Convince yourself that everything is going to be ok, you'll manage, and it's not that big a deal, because your mindset going into an operation can greatly affect the recuperation process.  Don't believe me?  Bruce Lee was never supposed to walk again after his back was broken.  He not only walked, but continued on developing Jeet Kun Do, one of the most respected martial arts of the modern age.

Vent all you like here- we won't tell your Mom, but I'd still suggest centering yourself and concentrating on what needs to be done, and not worrying about things you have no control over.

And, if all else fails, laugh your ass off at the funny things people say just before the anesthetic takes them.  For example, the last thing I said before passing out when I was getting my kidney stone surgery was "you aren't going to make fun of my small pee-pee when I'm out are you?"

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:49:19 PM
Sorry to hear about the Kelly, but remember, as much as everything else seems to be out of whack, just remember the important thing- everyone is trying to help you in any way they can.

Your mother may not be comfortable with your relationship, but she's coming anyway to try and help out.  That means she cares enough to try and deal with her discomfort for what is really important.

Your boss is probably trying to cover his arse, but the reality is that you are probably the best person qualified to do the job, and have the experience, so it's not likely that anyone will replace you.  

Your crowded apartment?  Well, if you are laid up for a little while (and any surgery will leave you groggy and partially out of it for some time) you likely won't be contributing to the crowd much so much as be plopped in one place and left there until the tinkle fairy comes a-calling.

I realize that's a gross oversimplification, but these are the thoughts you need to keep with you as you prepare for going in for any procedure.  Convince yourself that everything is going to be ok, you'll manage, and it's not that big a deal, because your mindset going into an operation can greatly affect the recuperation process.  Don't believe me?  Bruce Lee was never supposed to walk again after his back was broken.  He not only walked, but continued on developing Jeet Kun Do, one of the most respected martial arts of the modern age.

Vent all you like here- we won't tell your Mom, but I'd still suggest centering yourself and concentrating on what needs to be done, and not worrying about things you have no control over.

And, if all else fails, laugh your ass off at the funny things people say just before the anesthetic takes them.  For example, the last thing I said before passing out when I was getting my kidney stone surgery was "you aren't going to make fun of my small pee-pee when I'm out are you?"

Def

Great points.

Sounds like your mom is trying to accept you as you are, it's hard for her, but she's working through it.  Pretty decent compared to what I've seen from some parents.

Re: crowded apt:  You're gonna get powerful drugs.  Use them.  You won't mind a thing.  :D

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:50:28 PM

And, if all else fails, laugh your ass off at the funny things people say just before the anesthetic takes them.  For example, the last thing I said before passing out when I was getting my kidney stone surgery was "you aren't going to make fun of my small pee-pee when I'm out are you?k

Def

You are absolutely correct and thank you!  I'm not really upset, just have a lot to do.  But it will get done and you are correct that I won't be contributing much to the crowd.  LOL.  It's just funny.  Thanks again for the encouragement and the little kick in the pants.  I'll keep ya'll updated....who knows, it might end up being really really funny.  :)

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 05:52:00 PM
Good luck on all fronts Gray  :D :D :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 05:52:07 PM
Don't forget:

All posts go better with pics.  :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 05:53:05 PM
Contact a lawyer, what they're doing sounds highly illegal. Good luck with everything!!!
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 06:01:00 PM
That's what I thought Zack.  They are swearing up and down that they can do it that way.  They also ran my FMLA conconcurrent with workman's comp so now my FMLA is almost gone ( I was hurt a year ago at work and was off for a few weeks healing from that and they used up my FMLA for that too).  It's crap!  If I get fired, I'm contacting an attorney. 
Thanks! 
:)

I know attorney's are expensive, but I would contact one if I could.  FMLA and unemployment are different things..you were still employed so your benefits should still be there.  I would contact your local work force commission and ask, I believe they will even provide an attorney if a case is there.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 06:04:46 PM
Don't forget:

All posts go better with pics.  :D
LOL!  If they give me a DVD of the procedure, which they might, then I'll post it just for you, Mr. Whippy!  :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 06:25:01 PM
I'm not an expert but I used to handle HR type situations, and that seems very sketchy to me.  If you are out on disability or whatever, and you're still employed then the cannot make make you reapply in hopes that you may be hired again.  They can fill your position while you are out, but when you return they either have to give you your old position back or one that is comparable at the same pay grade and benefits as your previous job.  This whole reapply and you may get your job back is BS.  Good luck on your surgery.

AFAIK that sounds about right for here as well, although we obviously live in different counties.  Kelly, if you're not getting that message from your HR department then go talk to them, if it is them then you need to get a second opinion from someone well versed in employment legislation.  If it were here I'd say go to Citizen's Advice, I guess you must have something similar.

I hope all goes well for the op tomorrow and try not to get to stressed about your mother. :tu:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:27:16 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 07:03:43 PM
Goodluck with the surgery Gray, hope your back on your feet soon. 

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 07:11:46 PM
when it rains it poors huh ::)

you know your in our thoughts and I hope you have a fast weekend!
they sell rubber spid...never mind  :P

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 07:36:22 PM
FMLA for workmans comp....I dont think so.  Those are two different animals. I had a claim issue with my employers carrier, I went through our states Department of Workplace Development and requested a hearing.  The carrier promptly squared things up.  Find your state equivalent and talk to them.
Ironically I had an FMLA training session this morning.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:02 PM
Well I know sweet FA about US employment legislation, but what they're doing is bloody appalling IMHO  >:(

Crappy timing too as you need to look after yourself in order to get better (as Grant so eloquently pointed out). I'm sure it will sort itself out and worst case scenario is that you are a skilled and experienced, employable person who can take your good self elsewhere  ;)

As for your mother, lord knows its hard enough when they "get it", but you know she loves you and you will survive this too! I have a 3 day limit with my mum, after that I start to bite... it gets ugly  :o

Package coming your way tomorrow with small distractions in it. Now go get surgeried and get back here to tell us the gory details when the drugs wear off... or maybe before as it might be more entertaining  >:D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 08:56:03 PM
FMLA for workmans comp....I dont think so.  Those are two different animals. I had a claim issue with my employers carrier, I went through our states Department of Workplace Development and requested a hearing.  The carrier promptly squared things up.  Find your state equivalent and talk to them.
Ironically I had an FMLA training session this morning.

Glad you spoke up.  That was my understanding too, but I couldn't state that authoritatively.  Agree, challenge them.  FMLA is to take care of sick relatives, newborns etc.  Workers comp is to cover on the job injury.  One is completely independent of the other.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 08:59:08 PM
LOL!  Thanks, Nuph and thanks everyone for the encouragement.  
There is a very strong possibility that things will be ugly and funny after tomorrow.  The last time I had surgery and my mother was present I threw a bed pan at her (I didn't know what I was doing).  And I knocked out the recovery nurse when i came out of the anaesthetic.  Hopefully this time won't be like that because they don't have to put me all the way under.  If I have access to a computer tomorrow while still under the influence I'm sure I'll drop in and tell you all kinds of things.  Of course it may end up being more than ya'll ever needed to know.  Medicines and I don't get along really well.  The last time I developed a horrible migraine, they gave me benadryl, phenegran, and something else....well after serenading the office, Kim walked me out to the parking lot where my pants fell down because I'd forgotten to retie them after they gave me the shot in my hip.  Kim tried to get me to stop and pull them up but apparently I didn't care.  LOL...should be intersting.  
Talk to ya'll later,
Kel

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 09:03:40 PM
You and your sister are still in my prayers,and if everything don't work out,when your knee is better,you can go kick your boss in the ---!!!
 :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:24 PM
That sucks Gray. I hope it all works out for you.

Take good care of yourself and hope you have a speedy recovery.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 02:00:37 AM
That sucks Gray. I hope it all works out for you.

Take good care of yourself and hope you have a speedy recovery.  :salute:

What he said!

Saves me the trouble of having to attempt compassion. :D
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 04:08:28 AM
Imagine how your boss would react if 1,400 Multitool.org members marched into the office, demanding you got your old job back.... with a 10% raise even... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 11:03:01 AM
seems in today's climate employers will try to get away with everything they can.

hope you have a safe surgery and speedy recovery
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
Imagine how your boss would react if 1,400 Multitool.org members marched into the office, demanding you got your old job back.... with a 10% raise even... :D

Def

We have some right dodgy looking dudes on this forum so you'd definitely get it back.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 07:12:45 PM
You and your sister are still in my prayers,and if everything don't work out,when your knee is better,you can go kick your boss in the ---!!!
 :salute:

There's some motivation to get better :D

Best of luck with everything :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87