Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a good thrower...

665ae · 17 · 2755

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Looking for a good thrower...
on: October 10, 2009, 10:50:06 PM
I'm looking for a good thrower light.  Only condition is that it needs to be around $100 US.  I can go a little over if it's the right light.  I don't care what batteries is uses... AA, 123, C, D, etc...  Preferably hand held and able to fit in a coat pocket or backpack (no Spotlights)

Suggestions?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Looking for a good thrower...
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:02 PM
I would go with a Novatac edc 120. It will bust the budget a little, but imo it's the best edc light on the market.  :tu:

http://www.novatac.com/
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Flash

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 10:54:22 PM
Fenix L1D....with the left over money you can get the diffuser, light stick, pocket clip, headband etc etc  ;)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:30:12 AM
A good thrower for around $100 actually it comes under super thrower  :D

DBS V3 easily throw over 1000 feet  :tu: I can vouch for this light as I had one,I have a better thrower now but that's over $200  :salute:
http://www.dereelight.com/dbsv2.htm

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 01:56:13 AM
Surefire 9p, modded with a HO led conversion. Close to $100, but still over.
N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 03:56:16 AM
The Novatac, although a great EDC light is not a good thrower.  It has more of a flood beam due to its Seoul emitter and highly textured reflector.

The best throwers I've owned that are of good quality have all been from Lumapower, for example the D-Mini and the Lumahunter M1.  If you can afford a Surefire, buy one and you won't be disappointed.  I know you're a guy that likes quality, and you can't go wrong there if you can find something in your price range.
- Terry

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:28:45 AM
Generally look for the biggest/deepest reflector you can find then you have your best thrower.

If you want cheap thou, the new LED maglites are pretty good throwers.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 06:56:36 AM
I like cheap. :tu:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 06:58:37 AM

Tape 50 Maglites together!  :tu:  :rofl:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:03:03 AM

Tape 50 Maglites together!  :tu:  :rofl:

TAPE IS EXPENSIVE, OKAY?!

Nah, it'd just be hard to turn the entire contraption on or off! All those heads! So close together! :rofl:
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 07:51:21 AM

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 08:14:21 AM
If you can afford a Surefire, buy one and you won't be disappointed.  I know you're a guy that likes quality, and you can't go wrong there if you can find something in your price range.
I agree with NutSAK on this one. Surefire has some great throwers available. If you can find one used or scrape some extra funds together you won't be sorry. The ones you should look at are the newest generation L1, E2DL and the LX2. I can't recommend the LX2 enough. It truly is an awesome light. Keep in mind that the all of them are two stage lights so you'll have low and high. Making for a more versatile light. He are some shots maybe the will help.

"

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 02:22:39 PM
The E1B ( Surefire ) is a very impressive thrower for a single Cr123 .

Chris

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 06:29:00 PM
The Novatac, although a great EDC light is not a good thrower.  It has more of a flood beam due to its Seoul emitter and highly textured reflector.

The best throwers I've owned that are of good quality have all been from Lumapower, for example the D-Mini and the Lumahunter M1.  If you can afford a Surefire, buy one and you won't be disappointed.  I know you're a guy that likes quality, and you can't go wrong there if you can find something in your price range.

I've got the D-Mini and like it.  I'm looking for more distance than the D-Mini can offer...  I'm half considering biting the bullet and looking for a cheap HID, but I really don't want to spend that much at the moment...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 07:41:25 PM
The new D-Mini is out. Smaller, brighter, increased throw and runtime if preliminary reports are correct. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=199358

I really like the JetBeam II IBS for throw. No longer in production, though.
"

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 03:55:22 AM
The new D-Mini is out. Smaller, brighter, increased throw and runtime if preliminary reports are correct. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=199358

The new D-Mini looks impressive.  Still looking for more bang than that though. 

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 05:12:59 PM

The new D-Mini looks impressive.  Still looking for more bang than that though.  

Really! hmmm  :think: you wont find better in a small light unless you stump up $148 for a sunlite 8WFP this is the light I rave about  :tu: rechargeable too or you can opt for CR123 version,I rate the 8WFP 10/10 for throw and it's only 150 mm long 30mm dia reflector easily fits in a coat pocket or carry in the holster it comes with,most of the time I just put it in my back pocket it's really not that bulky  :salute:

BTW it has two levels 130 min for extended run time when needed or 300 lumens max for 2 hours,you can also choose the colour temp of the led,check them out here  http://www.powerledlighting.com/Eagle8W2200.html

I have had mine awhile now and I sold a DBS as this smaller light threw further I have clocked mine at 1200 feet throw with the smaller housing and a litlle further with the larger housing as this increases the lumens to over 300 lumen  :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:27:21 PM by John »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD