Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Re: 4Sevens?
Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 09:46:59 PM
I'm not going to say this over on CPF, but preon is such a stupid name, might as well call it prion.  ::)

I think most of the names are based around stars  :think: preon star,quark star hmmm!  :o

tho I've never heard of them I just googled preon and preon star came up  :D
Did you say Quark? :D .   The mailman dropped this off today.

Dennis

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 09:57:09 PM
Very nice :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 12:26:45 AM
That does look a bit tasty.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:18 AM
I wonder if one can do a stonewashed finish, that would hide scratches really well. (polished an aluminum light before, looked like crap after a day).

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 02:03:18 AM
I like the idea of the 2xAAA Preon.  Should finally see the end of duty for my 2xAAA Mag. 
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 02:29:00 AM
Yeah, lookin' pretty hard at that single cell preon. Titanium looks purdy! Clip even looks SideClip-py. Makin' me want one.
N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 03:13:34 AM
I like the idea of the 2xAAA Preon.  Should finally see the end of duty for my 2xAAA Mag.  

I've considered the Preon and the Fenix LD05 also.  However, I'm having a bit of difficulty justifying the 2xAAA form factor, as I find it less portable than a 1xAA (for the way I carry).  I suppose the higher voltage would give the benefit of higher output, but the smaller reflector of the AAA size might somewhat offset the benefit.  Also, a 1xAA stores more energy than 2xAAA, for better runtime at equal output.

What is it that interests you about the 2xAAA lights?

- Terry

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2009, 05:42:17 AM
I'm not going to say this over on CPF, but preon is such a stupid name, might as well call it prion.  ::)

I think most of the names are based around stars  :think: preon star,quark star hmmm!  :o

tho I've never heard of them I just googled preon and preon star came up  :D
I thought the Quark name came from ST:DS9  :oops:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 05:49:03 AM
Ha, no I'm pretty sure it came from the subatomic particle quark. Even the packaging suggests it.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 09:25:21 AM
I like the idea of the 2xAAA Preon.  Should finally see the end of duty for my 2xAAA Mag. 

This is the 2AAA light that Fenix could have easily built years ago - but Fenix chose not to for some reason.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 2AAA form factor for EDC.

Perfect size lights for me to easily hold and use that can still be carried all day long in my shirt pocket.

Giving the owner a choice of twisty and clicky tailcaps is a great idea.

I only wish they had left out the crappy Strobe and SOS, but you usually can't get everything just as you want it in lights at this price level.

Looks to me like the good far outweighs the bad, so I'll be getting one of the Preon 1AAA/2AAA kits.

Another great looking little 2AAA is the Sunlite Slim.  Very simple single level light with clicky switch, momentary capability, and 60 lumen output for 30 bucks.

N

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 03:43:03 PM
I like the idea of the 2xAAA Preon.  Should finally see the end of duty for my 2xAAA Mag.  

I've considered the Preon and the Fenix LD05 also.  However, I'm having a bit of difficulty justifying the 2xAAA form factor, as I find it less portable than a 1xAA (for the way I carry).  I suppose the higher voltage would give the benefit of higher output, but the smaller reflector of the AAA size might somewhat offset the benefit.  Also, a 1xAA stores more energy than 2xAAA, for better runtime at equal output.

What is it that interests you about the 2xAAA lights?

Low weight and small form factor make them ideal for popping inside my coat.  1xAA are good also but the slightly longer bodies make them easier to hold.  Just a personal liking :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:41 AM
That makes sense.  I never have a shirt pocket to carry in, which would be perfect for 2AAA, but I might consider it for coat/jacket carry.  Thanks.

I guess there's no love here for the LD05?  It is pretty much a copy of the Preon...
- Terry

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 03:03:33 AM
Ha, no I'm pretty sure it came from the subatomic particle quark. Even the packaging suggests it.
I didn't pay much attention to the packaging when Eric (4sevens.ca) was in town with the Quarks.
I just wanted to test out the lights :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 10:09:48 AM
That makes sense.  I never have a shirt pocket to carry in, which would be perfect for 2AAA, but I might consider it for coat/jacket carry.  Thanks.

I guess there's no love here for the LD05?  It is pretty much a copy of the Preon...

No love from me because I wasn't aware of the LD05.

Usually check out 4Sevens occasionally to see what's happening with Fenix, but for some strange reason LD05 hasn't shown up there...  Wonder why?

Stainless head and stainless clicky tailcap are superb.  Much tougher than an aluminum head and exposed rubber switch boot.

Great spacing of output levels.

Forward clicky with true momentary!

No crappy Strobe and SOS!

This looks like the greatest Fenix EDC light ever.  Already know that I have to have one.

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 03:08:36 PM
The LD05 hasn't been released yet--it's still a preorder.  Many times 4Sevens will keep it out of the public domain until release.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #45 on: October 27, 2009, 03:11:29 PM
David (4Sevens) has commented that he wishes he hadn't shown the design of the Preon to Fenix months ago.  It appears that Fenix took the idea and ran with it, but the Preon has just slightly beat Fenix to market.
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 06:46:00 PM
David (4Sevens) has commented that he wishes he hadn't shown the design of the Preon to Fenix months ago.  It appears that Fenix took the idea and ran with it, but the Preon has just slightly beat Fenix to market.

Fenix has been inattentive to the market by not offering 2AAA lights for the longest time.  They could have at least offered a 2AAA body tube as an optional extra for suitable 1AAA lights.

For quite a while people have resorted to putting heads from Fenix 1AAA lights on Streamlight StylusPro 2AAA bodies, but Fenix still couldn't take the hint.

Fenix has wonderfully efficient electronics and usually does a great job with their optics.  But, most of the Fenix designs for User Interfaces are just pathetic IMO.

The LD05 looks like one of their best designs ever.

A serious lighting tool designed for real work, not an overly complex toy with a crappy UI designed to please flashaholic fanboys.

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 07:53:38 PM
I couldn't agree more--on all points! 

There are worse UIs, but that has been one of Fenix's drawbacks since the introduction of the LxT series.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD