Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wilderness trip

J-sews · 104 · 6933

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Wilderness trip
on: October 18, 2009, 05:37:37 PM
Well, unless something goes totally haywire at work in the next two weeks, I should be clear to make my trip out to Manitou Island. :tu: Lordy I do hope nothing comes along to screw this up. I've been wanting to get back out there for years!

North Manitou is a 7-3/4 miles (12.5 km) long by 4-1/4 miles (6.85 km) wide island on the eastern side of Lake Michigan.

There is no private property on the island - the entire thing is managed as a wilderness area by the National Park Service. It gets a bit of tourist traffic (hikers and bird watchers mostly) during the summer months, but almost nobody visits during the winter. Exposed as it is to the ice cold westerlies coming off the big lake, its not exactly a tropical island paradise! :P Except in November however, when for one week each year the Park Service opens the island to deer hunting. Whitetail deer were first introduced to the island over 50 years ago. With no natural predators, their numbers grew rapidly until they began to devastate some of the native vegetation. So 20 years ago the Park Service began a limited hunt each year to keep the deer numbers in check. :)

But despite plenty of encouragement from the Feds and the State of Michigan, not many hunters participate each year. :-\ That's because the Wilderness Rules are still strictly enforced. No vehicles on the island. No safe harbor to anchor your boat. No electricity. No buildings or shelter is available on the island, except for the few that the Park Rangers use. No clean drinking water. No fires! (except at a few designated campsites near the dock)

The ferry boat drops everyone off on Saturday, then does not return until the following Saturday. :o Hunters had better have everything they need to survive for a whole week, including shelter, warm clothing, food, means of treating water, rain gear, first aid, etc. No help will be offered, nor is it available unless there are life threatening circumstances.

So last year, 37 hunters signed up, but only 27 actually had the guts to show up. It's no wonder to see why there are so few. :P Which is fine by me, as I don't care to share the woods with a whole crowd of other numbskulls. With any luck, I won't see another soul after leaving the dock area. (which in fact was the case with a couple fellows I spoke with who made the trip last year) 25 square miles is more than enough room to swallow up 27 people. 8)

So with two weeks to go, I'm packing and unpacking and repacking my gear, trying to prune things down to a managable (back-packable!) level. Lord almighty there is about twice as much stuff that I'd like to take as I could possibly carry! :ahhh Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rifle, ammo, stove, fuel, food, water filter, rain gear, hunting jacket, gloves, GPS, camera, etc. No way it all fits in my backpack. :-\ Hmmmm, guess I'll have to repack again.

Damn this is fun! :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Wilderness trip
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 06:10:21 PM
That really does sound like a lot of fun Bob.  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:13:51 PM
Sounds like your in for a good adventure Bob.   :tu:   The big question is what MT are you taking. 
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 06:15:36 PM
Ugh... I should be going with you.  :(
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 06:27:24 PM
Sounds like a great adventure Bob. Have fun and be careful. What knife and multitool are gonna take along?
"

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:28:47 PM
Sounds like a fun trip. No really, if I were to go hunting I'd take a bolt action iron sight rifle with none of the fancy gadgets, they give too much advantage and kills the sportsmanship IMO.

Now don't go hurt yourself, or I'd have to find someone else to forward my packages.  :pok: :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:36:25 PM
You are going to smell sooooo lovely when you get home!  Mrs Bob is not going to let you back in the house!   :D

Still, it does sound like a paradise to some of us!  Make sure to take your camera- I know I'd love to see some of your exploits there!

Until then, in your honor I'll be humming the theme to Gilligan's Island!

No phone, no lights no motor cars,
Not a single luxury
Like Robinson Cah-ruso
Bob's as primitive as can be!

My best advice?  Bring a few coconuts, as they can not only be used to build a radio, but your patsy, Patsy, can also use them to make horse hoof noises every time you go somewhere!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:48:14 PM
I like good news,enjoy!!! :cheers:& :salute:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:07:43 PM
Bob that looks AWESOME.  I may have to look into this...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:05 PM
That sounds like a superb challenge Bob.  I can see the issue with packing though; just the food for a week will fill a normal sized pack.  Unless, of course, you manage to shoot something to eat. ;)  Seriously, I suspect you'll need to take a couple of bags for all that stuff.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
Damn that looks a fine trip mate :tu:

Pics will be mandatory :pok: :pok:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 10:38:04 PM
That sounds like a superb challenge Bob.  I can see the issue with packing though; just the food for a week will fill a normal sized pack.  Unless, of course, you manage to shoot something to eat. ;)  Seriously, I suspect you'll need to take a couple of bags for all that stuff.

That would be my suggestion, too:  a good rucksack for the majority of items, including PSK, two (or three) days' food, stove, fuel, water filter, rain gear, gloves, GPS, camera, etc.  Then, in a duffel bag, have the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, more food and fuel, the hunting jacket, etc.  That way you'd be able to carry everything you need, without it being overwhelming.  :)

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 11:34:22 PM
wow! that means we have 1 week to raid Bob's collection! :ahhh :D

good luck buddy, have a great time, be safe, live life to the fullest. lucky dog :salute:

we don't wanna see this!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:57:42 PM by WhichDawg »

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:01:26 AM
Sounds like fun, despite all the unusually COLD weather we have been having.  If you need any help, let me know....Ill stand in Door County (WI) and yell encouraging words at yeah.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:48:45 AM by cgk »

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 12:11:34 AM
 wow  ! I would love to get lost in a place like that !!! sounds like good times indeed.
M.TEX

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 01:19:37 AM
Sounds like your in for a good adventure Bob.   :tu:   The big question is what MT are you taking. 

My lucky Super Tool of course! :angel: It's my standard carry tool whenever I'm mucking about in the woods. Can't say as the cap crimper has ever played a role, but one never knows! :D

Pic of a few sharp and shinys, piled on top of my bloated-near-bursting backpack:

From left to right; Surefire A2 Aviator, black oxide Super Tool, Lakota fixed blade knife, Chinook titanium spork. 8)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 01:25:42 AM
Ugh... I should be going with you.  :(

Bob that looks AWESOME.  I may have to look into this...

Sounds like fun, despite all the unusually COLD weather we have been having.  If you need any help, let me....Ill stand in Door County (WI) and yell encouraging words at yeah.

I'm going solo this time, but you guys are all invited to come along next year! :salute:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:30 AM
My lucky Super Tool of course! :angel: It's my standard carry tool whenever I'm mucking about in the woods. Can't say as the cap crimper has ever played a role, but one never knows! :D

Better pack some C4 too just in case!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:02:05 AM
I guess if the hunting doesn't pan out, you could use some CIL Wobblers.  :think:  ;)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 02:33:45 AM
Have a great time! And please when you bag a deer do post a giveaway contest on the deer jerky :drool: :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 02:56:06 AM
Have a great time! And please when you bag a deer do post a giveaway contest on the deer jerky :drool: :tu:

Hah! Great idea Donald! I will do that! :tu: :D

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 04:02:55 AM
Good luck Bob....I think I might have to look into something like that sometime.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 04:10:48 AM
So with two weeks to go, I'm packing and unpacking and repacking my gear, trying to prune things down to a managable (back-packable!) level. Lord almighty there is about twice as much stuff that I'd like to take as I could possibly carry! :ahhh Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rifle, ammo, stove, fuel, food, water filter, rain gear, hunting jacket, gloves, GPS, camera, etc. No way it all fits in my backpack. :-\ Hmmmm, guess I'll have to repack again.

Can't tell for sure from the pic, but it may be that your pack is a tad small for this sort of trip.

For a week long solo trip at this time of year, I'd want at a bare minimum a 5000 cubic inch pack - preferably 6000 to 7000 cubic inches.

You need to carry enough cold weather gear to deal with unforseen circumstances - an unusual cold snap, days of freezing rain, an injury that slows you down, etc.

Also, don't skimp on food.  Carry more than you think you'll need, because the old saying that "Food is warmth" is true in my experience.

Extra cold weather gear and food means extra weight and bulk in your pack - no way to get around it.  It'll work out much better if everything fits inside the pack, hopefully with a little room to spare, excepting of course the rifle.

Getting a pack big enough to fit everything inside works out much better than a smaller pack with stuff strapped onto the outside.  Especially in bad weather, but even in good weather the balance of the pack will be better.

This trip is a good excuse to pick up a new pack.

P.S.  Forgot to say that it sounds like an amazing trip into some real wilderness.  Wish I could go along.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:19:01 AM by ringzero »
N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 04:57:55 AM

Can't tell for sure from the pic, but it may be that your pack is a tad small for this sort of trip.

For a week long solo trip at this time of year, I'd want at a bare minimum a 5000 cubic inch pack - preferably 6000 to 7000 cubic inches.

You need to carry enough cold weather gear to deal with unforseen circumstances - an unusual cold snap, days of freezing rain, an injury that slows you down, etc.

Also, don't skimp on food.  Carry more than you think you'll need, because the old saying that "Food is warmth" is true in my experience.

Extra cold weather gear and food means extra weight and bulk in your pack - no way to get around it.  It'll work out much better if everything fits inside the pack, hopefully with a little room to spare, excepting of course the rifle.

Getting a pack big enough to fit everything inside works out much better than a smaller pack with stuff strapped onto the outside.  Especially in bad weather, but even in good weather the balance of the pack will be better.

P.S.  Forgot to say that it sounds like an amazing trip into some real wilderness.  Wish I could go along.

Ah, thanks RZ! That is just the sort of sound advice I need. :salute: Unfortunately I won't be able to afford a new pack this late in the game. :-\ But your suggestions of more food plays on a nagging worry of mine. I'd best stow in a few more rations just to be on the safe side. That will mean strapping more stuff on the top of my pack, but it can't be helped. :-\

My biggest quandry is clothing. I'm normally a stand/ambush hunter, which means holding still and quiet in one place for several hours. Extra warm clothing is a must. Yet.....I can't wear that warm clothing on the hike in, or I'll sweat myself into a lather! :ahhh I need to dress lighter for the hike in, and pack my heavy clothes. But there's not enough room to pack everything I want to take. :(

Not a disaster really - it just means I'll get cold on stand sooner and have to walk around to warm up. :(

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 05:02:29 AM
What are you bringing? Those freeze dried food are pretty neat, bring some for, and some water filter/purification tablets for back up.

As for clothing, what about layers, bring something you can put on outside of your hiking cloth once you get to your destination.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 05:09:23 AM
That sounds like a great trip, good luck with the hunt!

What's with the "no fires" rule though?
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 05:34:12 AM

Also, don't skimp on food.  Carry more than you think you'll need, because the old saying that "Food is warmth" is true in my experience.

P.S.  Forgot to say that it sounds like an amazing trip into some real wilderness.  Wish I could go along.

Ah, thanks RZ! That is just the sort of sound advice I need. :salute: Unfortunately I won't be able to afford a new pack this late in the game. :-\ But your suggestions of more food plays on a nagging worry of mine. I'd best stow in a few more rations just to be on the safe side. That will mean strapping more stuff on the top of my pack, but it can't be helped. :-\

My biggest quandry is clothing. I'm normally a stand/ambush hunter, which means holding still and quiet in one place for several hours. Extra warm clothing is a must. Yet.....I can't wear that warm clothing on the hike in, or I'll sweat myself into a lather! :ahhh I need to dress lighter for the hike in, and pack my heavy clothes. But there's not enough room to pack everything I want to take. :(

Not a disaster really - it just means I'll get cold on stand sooner and have to walk around to warm up. :(

Pick up VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner) shirt, pants, and socks.

Coated nylon designed to be worn next to bare skin.

Inexpensive, weighs little, packs down very small, and prevents sweat from soaking through to your outer insulating layers.

Keeps your outer garments dry no matter how much you sweat.

Keeps your sleeping bag dry too, so you sleep warmer and need to drink less water due losing less moisture to perspiration.

N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 07:00:42 AM
Maybe a you ought to get a mountain/expedition bike to carry the weight for you till you need to go off trail :think:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 03:41:35 AM
Maybe a you ought to get a mountain/expedition bike to carry the weight for you till you need to go off trail :think:

No bikes allowed. :(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 03:44:52 AM
That sounds like a great trip, good luck with the hunt!

What's with the "no fires" rule though?

I dunno, that does take a lot of the fun out of it though. No Fires Allowed in designated wilderness areas. Maybe they don't want the risk of forest fires so far away from fire fighting crews? :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%