Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Freestyle love

Pacu · 32 · 3273

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Freestyle love
on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:21 PM

Been carryin' this in my change pocket for a couple a days and it's fast being part of my edc. Small, light and well built with a hella strong clip. Sure it is lacking in the tool selection department but it isn't marketed to be a Surge replacement.
I give it a thumbs up for portability, knife sharpness and a loss resistant clip.
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Freestyle love
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 12:58:30 AM
Yup, That about covers it for me too Pacu :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 01:01:14 AM
now i need a skeletool :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 01:08:02 AM
You know you do!

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 02:30:31 AM
I have 2 cx's and one standard I like them pretty well, I carry mine as a knife instead of a tool.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 03:32:33 PM
Looks like a good SAK companion .

Chris

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 07:19:00 AM
Those gave really been fascinating me lately. I kinda want to get one. So it's definetly good to hear that people are liking them.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:42:37 PM
i looked at one at a walmart the other day.  I could barely get the pliers or the knife open.  Is this a common thing? I dont mind plier stiffness, but a knife has got to be smooth and easy.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:07:37 PM
i looked at one at a walmart the other day.  I could barely get the pliers or the knife open.  Is this a common thing? I dont mind plier stiffness, but a knife has got to be smooth and easy.

No, that one must have been defective or it was just stiff because it was so new.  They open very easily and can open the knife one handed easily too.  If you are going to get just one, I would suggest getting the CX model.  It has better blade steel, 154CM, and the blade is also a plain edge.  It also has come carbon fiber built into it, but I don't think that adds much to it's appeal.  For me it was the blade steel.  The original Freestyle is nice too but the blade is a combo edged 420HC blade.  They are classified as a "Pocket-Size" Multi-tool, and the description fits accurately.  I EDC either a Wenger Standard Issue, same thing as a Vic Soldier, or the Freestyle CX.  I can recommend it.
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 10:14:47 PM
My Skeletool CX was a pain in the ass to open the blade one handed until it wore in a bit, now it's smooth.  There's a little ball/nub that has to get smoothed over with repeated opening and closing.

Or maybe the one you handled was just tightened too much at the factory.  I think a standard T10 Torx bit fits the Skeletools so you can adjust it.
[

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:19:57 PM
The freestyle does look cool; I'll get myself one someday :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 04:53:45 AM
I like the look of them just really wish they had kept the bit driver in it  :cry: Saying that I love the clip if it is the same as the Skeletool and will probably have 1 sometime in the future :D

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 06:05:18 AM
I like the look of them just really wish they had kept the bit driver in it  :cry: Saying that I love the clip if it is the same as the Skeletool and will probably have 1 sometime in the future :D

Yeah, a bit driver would make it better.

I'd be tempted to mod it to replace the knife with a file and make it legal UK EDC - or replace the knife with scissors.

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 07:43:55 AM
The one that you looked at that was so tight was probably just really new.

My Skeletool was very tight when it was new. That was something that really got me discouraged about it and was ultimately one of the reasons that I traded it off.

I am kind of kicking myself for not giving it more of a chance. It loosened up a lot before I got rid of it. But my thoughts about the quality of the tools kind of changed a lot.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:14 PM
How does its blade stack up/compare to the LM c301?  I don't EDC my c301, but it's typically my go to blade when I'm at home...easy to open, easier to find that the SAK that's always in my bag, and cuts like a dream.  Would a Freestyle be as good a replacement blade for that as say the Buck X-Tract?  The Freestyle pliers look a bit nicer, sturdier, and deployable than the X-Tract's.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 05:17:40 AM
How does its blade stack up/compare to the LM c301?  I don't EDC my c301, but it's typically my go to blade when I'm at home...easy to open, easier to find that the SAK that's always in my bag, and cuts like a dream.  Would a Freestyle be as good a replacement blade for that as say the Buck X-Tract?  The Freestyle pliers look a bit nicer, sturdier, and deployable than the X-Tract's.

I have a Buck X-Tract 730 and I also have both a Freestyle and a Freestyle CX.  The X-Tract pliers aren't even in the same league as the Freestyle's.  The X-Tract blade is larger but if you get the Freestyle CX it's blade is 154CM, but a plain edge not a combo edge like the X-Tract and not as large as the X-Tract.  The X-Tract has the straight and phillips drivers on it too, the Freestyle doesn't have any drivers.  I like the Freestyle much better but wish Leatherman had added a bit driver to it.
[

us Offline turbov21

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 06:15:25 AM

I have a Buck X-Tract 730 and I also have both a Freestyle and a Freestyle CX.  The X-Tract pliers aren't even in the same league as the Freestyle's.  The X-Tract blade is larger but if you get the Freestyle CX it's blade is 154CM, but a plain edge not a combo edge like the X-Tract and not as large as the X-Tract.  The X-Tract has the straight and phillips drivers on it too, the Freestyle doesn't have any drivers.  I like the Freestyle much better but wish Leatherman had added a bit driver to it.

Thanks!  I keep eying the Freestyle, even more so than the Skeletool, but can't bring myself to get it while I have the c301.  That said, if anything ever happens to it, the Freestyle sounds like what I'd want to replace it.  Thanks!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 10:07:17 PM
Don't rule out the X-tract.  The pliers aren't actually as bad as the people make out, and if you want drivers and everything OHable the X-tract is the way to go.  Sure it doesn't have the fancy steel of the Freestyle, but it has Buck's 420HC which is a fantastic steel.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 10:31:57 PM
The X-Tracts's pliers aren't in the same league as ther Freestyle though - I agree with 1jump2many

Having said that, I would say they are much better than SAK pliers though, so I'd probably consider them to a medium option.

Great tool overall though the X-Tract - best blade I've got on any multitool.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:23 PM

Then you would have a Skeletool.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 05:51:09 AM

Then you would have a Skeletool.

Nah, the Skeletool still has the lanyard/bottle opener which makes it a Full-Size too and not a Pocket Tool.  I've never liked the lanyard/bottle opener.  If you have that much metal in your hand and you can't open a bottle...........  I can open a bottle with a Bic lighter.  Leatherman needs to put a bit driver on a Freestyle and phase out the Skeletool.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:31 PM
Many like the carabiner as a form of carry though, it is more than just a bottle opener (and a good one at that if I remember correctly).  I can't see LM phasing them out.
I'm back!!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 10:20:32 PM
Many like the carabiner as a form of carry though, it is more than just a bottle opener (and a good one at that if I remember correctly).  I can't see LM phasing them out.

I don't actually see Leatherman phase it out either, but I think putting a bit driver on a Freestyle would make it a more popular tool.  Just my opinion, but I think it would probably be more popular than than either Skeletool or the current Freestyle.  It would have the essential tools the average person uses on a daily basis in a Pocket Size tool. 
[

us Offline Pacu

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 10:35:05 PM
I've been pocketing my Freestyle to work the last couple of weeks. Only one day did i wish i carried the Wave. I needed a #2 phillips.
They make it in regular blade don't they? Not the half serrated?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:06 PM
They do Pacu, but it's the Premium priced CX that has the PE these days.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 11:11:49 PM
looks like i might have to pick that up...or try a Skeletool with straight edge

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 12:40:23 AM
Here's a good thing to carry if you want a Freestyle

http://www.countycomm.com/screwkey.html
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 12:57:25 AM
I've been pocketing my Freestyle to work the last couple of weeks. Only one day did i wish i carried the Wave. I needed a #2 phillips.
They make it in regular blade don't they? Not the half serrated?

Yes, the CX version is plain edge.  That is also the reason the newer Skeletool blades are changing.  The new production Skeletool CX will have the same blade as the Freestyle CX, 154CM plain edge.  The standard Freestyle and new production standard Skeletool will both have the 420HC combo edge blade.  I have mentioned this on other threads and I hate to beat a dead horse but if Leatherman had put a bit driver on the Freestyle it would be the perfect "pocket" tool, for me.  Hence the word "Pocket".  Not a Full-sized tool.  I've contemplated moding a Skeletool and have seen some pretty decent jobs but the bit driver, even without a bit in, it extends just a tad too far out.  If Leatherman did add a bit driver to the Freestyle it would be nice if they recessed it a quarter of an inch, maybe an 1/8.  Also put the spare bit slot in it like the Skeletool has so when you have it in your pocket as an EDC MT you can pull it out and put the bit in.  It might be a big uncomfortable carrying it around as a pocket tool with a bit poking out.   :ahhh
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:00:31 AM by 1jump2many »
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 02:16:03 AM
I have mentioned this on other threads and I hate to beat a dead horse but if Leatherman had put a bit driver on the Freestyle it would be the perfect "pocket" tool, for me.  

Once or twice :D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 03:35:18 AM
I have mentioned this on other threads and I hate to beat a dead horse but if Leatherman had put a bit driver on the Freestyle it would be the perfect "pocket" tool, for me.  

Once or twice :D

I'd buy that for a dollar!!

Yea i went Robocop on you....that just happened :o :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87