Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

diytactical forum is full of a-holes

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: diytactical forum is full of a-holes
Reply #60 on: October 25, 2009, 02:03:07 AM
Have you ever seen that South Park episode where Cartman is a cop? I bet the entire forum is like Cop-Cartman

Possibly the best South Park episode EVER.

Those guys need to get out more Nuphy - f*ck 'em. Flash'll teach you how to knit if you're that desperate.
I used to come here a lot.

Flash

Reply #61 on: October 25, 2009, 09:20:43 AM
Hurrah (Where is that flashy, cavalier smiley when you need it)

Offline Disturbed

• New User
Reply #62 on: October 25, 2009, 11:27:52 PM
Hi guys, my name on here is the same as it is on DIY Tactical.  I felt the need to come here and clarify a few things, in no way is this meant to start a "war" I have some experience with war and I'm sorry but angry people posting between forums is not really it.  Also your Admin is correct that other admins can see where they are being linked from hence my post here and I thank him for his mature attitude.

Nuphoria, no one was aware that you were a girl.  That would not have changed they way anyone treated you either.  I understand the members here getting angry about they way she was treated, it is natural to want to protect "one of your own" and even more so when that person is a female.  The reason your thread is no longer visible is it has been moved to the Moderators section so an AAR can be conducted to see how this kind of thing can be avoided in the future.

I am also the person that changed your karma titles, I was quite offended that you would talk to down to people that you have no knowledge of.  I do not feel sorry for doing that, you acted like a twit, I am sure in real life you are a very nice person but I only have that post and few short others to judge you buy.  If I was to give you an AN/PRC 117g, Panasonic toughbook, spitfire antennae and a COM1 to J5 cable then tell you to programme it manually and send a SITREP over ravennet do you think you could?  Does that make me an intellectual because I can?  No it just means I am trained to do it just as you are trained to do what you do.  Lacking knowledge of something does not make someone intellectually challenged, it makes them untrained.  I acknowledge we can be unfriendly and very clique like.  We are, it is also something that you will encounter a lot in the Military.  If you were a guy I would suggest walking into a junior ranks bar and seeing the reception you would most likely get.  As you are female that wouldn't work as they would in all likelihood be all over you like fleas on a dog.  Would you walk up to me when I was wearing my uniform and tell me what you do is much to intellectual for me to understand?  I would hope not.  I treat everyone with respect until they prove themself unworthy of it and I'm sorry but your post did just that.  The reason your title was changed was an example to others of how not to behave.  Seeing asshat under someones name tends to convey the site staffs feelings towards that behavior quite well.

I don't apologize for how you were treated, I am sorry that you took such offence to it and instead of taking the "heads up" with the intent it was delivered.  The rule you violated was "post whoring" we have a mandatory 20 post minimum and a lot of people type short 3-4 word sentences in a short period of time to meet that minimum, this does nothing to help the forum grow and if we allowed it the forum would end up with a small user base posting their work and a large user base smoking their pole.  We are not about selling our gear, we are about teaching the young Soldier how to improve his lot in life.  As an 18 year old Pte on his way to East Timor in 2000 I had no resource to help me tweak my gear in the hope that I could get that 30rd magazine or 40mm HEDP out that wee bit quicker than the other guy.  I hope that by the questions I have answered and the tutorials I spend up to 4 hours at a time making I have helped the younger Soldiers learn from what took a lot of trial and error for me to learn. 

None of your posts had a clear question for us to answer.  Having gone back through your posts I saw that you asked for the intro thread, I had just returned from a 6 week course when you posted that and only paid a cursory glance to the forums as I was more interested in spending time with my 4 month old son who had grown quite considerable during my absence.  If I had noted it I would have posted a link and I am sorry that no one posted the link to the intro thread for you.  I found the introduction thread here and posted in it by typing "intro" into the search bar, it would not have been hard to do that on the DIY Tactical forum either however I believe we will soon be making a section specifically for introductions to make this easier for people in the future. 

The reason your profile was brought up was because we have had companies like Eagle steal designs from our members and then turn a large profit selling them.  One of our very senior members Diz who had forgotten more about making gear than most people will ever learn does not post in the general section now because of it.  This was a huge loss for the forum and why we require transparency.  If you had put in your profile: interest in tactical gear "just a girl looking for a better way to EDC my leatherman" it would have helped a lot.  If you had posted "Hi I want to make a pouch to carry XXX, can anyone help" you would have been told to do a search for tutorials most likely or someone would have posted a tutorial link to a small zipper utility pouch or a pistol mag/torch/multi tool pouch

DIY Tactical began in 2005 when Mike the owner and a former Soldier decided that a dedicated site was needed for the discussion of making tactical gear.  Prior to this numerous Military/LEO themed forums had a small sub section for this but the amount of information was limited.  Most people that find us have some experience making or modifying gear, very few actually have no experience at all so we tend to cater more for the person that has some experience.  We try to help the novice out as much as possible.  I have spent a lot of my time online trying to convey my advise via a few sentences, this is actually quite hard to do and sometimes results in me having to run out to the shed, sew up the item being discussed and then post pictures to clarify the finer points.  I am in a unit which has a very high tempo and trying to balance work life, family and my responsibilities as a moderator on DIY Tactical is not easy.  I wish I could hold the hand of every new member and teach them how to make this that and the other but the reality is I can't.  I enjoy teaching people how to sew and I get a little thrill when a new member posts up the pouch he made with my help.  If that makes me a sewing sissy I have no problem with that.  I get plenty of ribbing at work from people that you wouldn't want to meet on a dark desert night and I take it all in stride.

If the members here wish to insult me, call me a sewing smurf or insult my family and make allegations about my childhood feel free to do so and vent your spleen to your hearts content.  I will not reply to this thread in the interests of it dying a quick death but I would like to hope maturity will win out at the end of the day.  All that will result is a waste of bandwidth for this sites owners.
Any member of this forum is welcome to join us and discuss the construction of tactical gear or learn from our tutorials which are located in the Gear Making - Sewing Circle section, they are all stickied threads but you will have to register to see them.  If you wish to introduce yourself that stickied thread can be located in Barracks - General Discussion but we do not require introductions as mandatory as some forums require.  I would hope that the time I have spent writing the tutorials I have posted has not been in vain.

If any members of DIY Tactical wish to come here and flame be aware that you may well find yourself banned off this forum and DIY Tactical.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Michael

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #63 on: October 25, 2009, 11:42:34 PM
If the members here wish to insult me, call me a sewing Colorful Enunciation or insult my family and make allegations about my childhood feel free to do so and vent your spleen to your hearts content. 

Not really our style here Michael, hence the reaction to the goings on on your site. Whilst ensuring that your members show a little bit of respect for new posters is difficult to enforce, it's actually a little disappointing that you make a point of not apologising for Nuphoria's treatment, you are thereby condoning it.

I'm only a member here, not involved in the admin or moderation at all and therefore can only speak for myself, but the initial incident made me think that your forum is mostly inhabited by people with poorly developed social skills. Your post here hasn't exactly done a lot to change that view, and I'm curious as to what you hoped it might achieve.

If you had put in your profile: interest in tactical gear "just a girl looking for a better way to EDC my leatherman" it would have helped a lot.

What a strange (and incredibly patronising) thing to say  :think:
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #64 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:33 AM

Michael,

I am so much more than "just a girl looking for a better way to EDC my leatherman" but sadly that's not something you will be privy to. I actually came to your forum for help on a much bigger potential project I had in mind but I will easily get that done without help. I dislike the company of patronising misogynists and people who take themselves to seriously for a start. I regard myself as intellectual not because I what I already know, but due to my clear and focused intentions to constantly learn more and my ability to interact with the world in a civil manner to facilitate that.

As for coming here to "clarify" things, we all read the thread and saw what was posted - it spoke very clearly for itself and people can make up their own minds about it.  I don't feel the need to justify the comments I made.

If you are that paranoid about your designs being stolen then I suggest you don't put them online unless they are documented or patented first. I have been protecting intellectual copyright for a long time and it can be done easily and cheaply.... that's something I would have been happy to advise on had I cared to stay there.
We share ideas and designs here and in fact encourage each other to undertake and enjoy them. We welcome newbies (not mandatory, just polite) and pander to the dumbest of questions as we hope they'll stick around and enjoy themselves once they find their feet. We all knew nothing once, that's how we arrive in this world. This place is excellent and that's because of the non-judgemental people who use and run it. I won't be banned for any of your "members" spitting their dummies over here. Any offensive comments will be removed by the people I am very proud to call my friends, and swiftly forgotten.

I wish you good luck with your sewing and the way you chose to run your forum. :)

Cheers, Chris

Fancy locking/burning this thread mods - it's run its course I'd say  :pok:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: October 26, 2009, 01:23:18 AM
Mike, please send me an email if you check back here.  You can reach me at grant.lamontagne@ns.sympatico.ca.  I would like to speak with you regarding this matter.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline landshark

• New User
Reply #66 on: October 26, 2009, 01:27:10 AM
Grant, I'm a Mike also. I am the owner and administrator of DIY Tactical. I am putting a message together for you are I type. I figured admin to admin would be appropriate. Was going to PM it to you But  I will email you direct when I'm finished.

Regards,

Mike

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #67 on: October 26, 2009, 01:37:22 AM
Either way works for me Mike. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #68 on: October 26, 2009, 01:53:00 AM
This sort of thing happens all the time on the internet.  Conversations with true context or consequences go awry.

I submit that we should all make nice and appreciate that two forums actually have quite a bit in common.

And for what it's worth it is my opinion that the title of this thread is inappropriate and unnecessary regardless of any maltreatment on another forum.  That maltreatment may also warrant an apology as well, so instead of furthering a flame war between forums of similar interest let's just move on.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:55:55 AM by Crouton »
:)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: October 26, 2009, 01:59:15 AM
This sort of thing happens all the time on the internet.  Conversations with true context or consequences go awry.

I submit that we should all make nice and appreciate that two forums actually have quite a bit in common.

Other than using the same software, I'm not so sure.

No one here would ever be treated the way they did Nuphoria.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #70 on: October 26, 2009, 02:01:55 AM
I agree wholeheartedly J-sews.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #71 on: October 26, 2009, 02:06:16 AM
I didn't see the thread (it was shutdown before I could), but I have NEVER seen a new member slagged here at MT.O.

This is the MOST accepting forum I've ever been associated with. 

That said, we may be the saddest lot on the internet since high school chess club... :(

:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #72 on: October 26, 2009, 02:08:21 AM
I did, and I didn't like what I saw.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #73 on: October 26, 2009, 02:34:08 AM
Did someone say "War" ?

:drool:
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #74 on: October 26, 2009, 02:54:32 AM
Sorry, but making suggestions and asking questions isn't post whoring. Your argument is a crock full of bull. Being a girl has nothing to do with it, they flat out insulted her for asking a simple question which could have been politely declined.

Obviously you don't want to keep new members.
Got those frog legs.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: October 26, 2009, 03:52:45 AM
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:09:37 AM by american lockpicker »
(

Offline landshark

• New User
Reply #76 on: October 26, 2009, 03:58:29 AM
Grant, email sent, sorry it took so long, kept getting sidetracked. I also added you to my MSN list, shoot me a message if you want to chat.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #77 on: October 26, 2009, 11:08:35 AM
Pff, long read but got through it all. I did not see the posts on that other forum from Nuph and the replies and don't want to. But what possibly could someone say on an internet forum that will get you angry? I just don't get that.... I am more a lover than a fighter (said with French accent)

But now I finally see the advantage of my very short d***, noboday can step on it  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #78 on: October 26, 2009, 07:26:02 PM
 :D :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #79 on: October 26, 2009, 08:06:30 PM
Dave, Bob & Frog:
+1  :tu:

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #80 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:47 PM
Damn... I was hoping for an immature forum war!

I guess I'll head over to the Evolution vs Creation forum and have some nice non-confrontational conversations...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%