Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you use a chisel/scraper for?

Offline spirited

What do you use a chisel/scraper for?
on: September 13, 2006, 09:12:38 PM
I have no clue as to what to use the chisel/scraper on my SwissTool spirit for. I suppose you could use the top to scrape stuff of things, but what about the curved sides? What do you use it for?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What do you use a chisel/scraper for?
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:28:02 PM
I am sure that some smartarse is going to come along sooner or later and tell you it is for chiseling and scraping, so I am saying it now to get it out of the way!

The smaller cutout blades at the base look to me like a variety of wire stripper gizmos.  Electricity and I don't really see eye to eye so I can't really comment on them specifically, but the round one looks very similar to the smaller blade on the Victorinox Electrician model. 

Def
SwissToolChisel.JPG
* SwissToolChisel.JPG (Filesize: 70.49 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline spirited

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:26:05 PM
Thanks def!
I actually thought it looked like something for wires, but I thought Victorinox would have put that in the manual as a separate feature, since they mention every small thing as a feature. And now I looked again, and sure enough, there it was. It is a wire scraper/round cutter.

I got the chiseling and scraping part, but I am interested in what people actually use such a small chisel for. Maybe I am missing opportunities to use this great tool!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:40:18 PM
No problem... I use it once in a while for removing paint chips and things that I don't want to get under my fingernails.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 05:57:00 AM
I have used the scraper more than I would have thought. I have found a number of small scraping tasks such as removing stickers off my bumper, chipping paint, etc.
T

Offline spirited

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 03:14:02 PM
Stickers! I am sure that will become more useful when my daughter gets older :)

I actually found a use already. We were looking for a new house and needed to break open the floor to look under it (I do not know the English word for the space below the floor - sorry). The broker had troubles and I said, "here, let me hand you my chisel". He looked a bit weird, but it did a perfect job prying open the floor. I tried to convince my husband that we should buy a prybaby but he looked at me like I was crazy.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 07:04:36 PM
The large flat screwdriver is designed for prying open crates.  It's a much better tool (thicker, more durable) to pry with.
- Terry

Offline spirited

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 12:00:20 PM
*checks* Thanks NutSAK, that looks much sturdier indeed! I am sure that will come in useful when we move into our new house. I continue to be impressed with my Spirit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%