Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pentagonlight MOLLE LED problems

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Pentagonlight MOLLE LED problems
on: May 19, 2007, 03:01:44 AM
Quick question:
On my MOLLE Pentagonlight, the LED is barely lit when the button is off, but works fine when it's in the on position.  I was thinking of contacting them and sending it back for service..but is this common with LED lights? 

I woke up around 6am, and the light was in full ON mode, so I walked over and shut it off, and it cut power to the LED by like 90% and it was pulsing like there was a bad connection.

I tried taking the battery out and cleaning the inside, but it's still staying on.  I'll try a fresh AA, but I don't think the battery is the problem..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:42:38 AM by Corrugated »
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: LED problems
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:08:05 AM
That sounds similar to the problem I am having with my Fenix.

None of my other LED lights do that, and I don;t think they are supposed to.  I'm pretty certain when you turn them off, they are supposed to turn off....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 03:18:58 AM
I could see if I dropped it on cement, had it under water, or otherwise abused it..but so far it's just guided me from my bed to the bathroom and back :grin:

I woke up and it was lighting my room from where I left it on the nightstand. 

I'll contact Pentagonlight Monday..hopefully they have a decent customer service dept and I can get this fixed.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 03:21:18 AM
I'm sure they'll look after it for you.  Faulty switches and the like happen and good companies usually look after their products and customers.

Make sure to let us know what happens.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:13:13 AM
Several Pentagonlight MOLLE light owners have reported similar problems in this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=158336
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 06:52:32 AM
Several Pentagonlight MOLLE light owners have reported similar problems in this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=158336

Wow, I read that whole thread..I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'll try leaving the switch 'on' without the battery tonight and all of tomorrow, then try it again.

I really liked this light to :angry: :angry:
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:50:40 PM
Send it back to Contry comm. they are great people to deal with.
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 05:05:04 PM
Send it back to Contry comm. they are great people to deal with.

It's not their fault, and they might have the same batch of defective lights in stock...I'm hoping the ones Pentagonlight are sending back to people are newer versions with the problem corrected.

Countycomm is great though, I check their 'what's new' page every day.
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 09:21:15 PM
Even though it is returned to CC they will not take the loss. Pentagon will refund the replacement they sent and cover any loss by CC over it. So dont think CC will have a problem with it.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 04:34:47 AM
Yeah, usually the manufacturers cover it, but use the dealer network to handle returns.  It's cheaper that way, and less effort for the manufacturer, and the customer gets a more personalized service.

One of the few real win/win situations left!

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:08:11 AM
I too saw this over at the candlepowerforums and was somewhat miffed about it due to the fact that I had planned on getting quite a few for work and gifts. Pentagonlight does seem to have a history of odd behavior in their first-production lights. I remember when they released their first 2-cell 3 watt LED light they rated it for use up to 12 volts meaning that you could put the head on a 3-cell body and get more runtime. The only problem was their supplier used a different PCB so anything over 2-cells overdrove the LED tremendously and caused burn-out in less than an hour. My experience with their customer service has been excellent so I'm still buying and using their lights but getting a defective light really sucks because you can't usually fix the problem yourself light you can with knives or multi-tools.

I did see a similar problem with some of the early Fenix lights and some River Rock lights from Target so this isn't a super unusual problem.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 05:04:34 PM
I'd probably get faster/better service through County Comm, but like I said before...they might send me a replacement from the same manufacturing run...which might still have the problem.  If Pentagonlight corrected the problem, and are sending out those corrected versions, then that would be my best bet.  I didn't read anywhere that the problem was corrected though.  I'll email Pentagonlight sometime today and find out who I should send it to..

[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Pentagonlight MOLLE LED problems
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 12:47:55 AM
I gave Pentagonlight a call today and got an RMA number, and I sent the light out.  I asked the Woman if these lights had a lot of returns/repairs (I already knew they had quite a few from the link further up this thread)...She said the Desert Tan version had this problem, but they haden't seen it yet on the black version (which I have).  You'd think the electronics would be the same between the two diffrent colors...weird.

Anyways I hope this get's resolved...I've been looking at the larger Pentagonlights and thinking of buying one...this customer service experience might make or break that idea ;D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:08:32 AM
The electronics are probably the same, but it's likely another batch issue.  One batch went black and the next went desert tan.

Either that or she's trying to downplay the situation, aka bullpoop.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 01:21:15 AM
Well if it's two different batches, then they both are messed up! 

On the return form I was sent, there was a line for your credit card#...I may or may not have mixed up a number or two ;D

There's absolutely NO reason to charge me ANYTHING...if anything they OWE me the shipping cost.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 01:25:39 AM
Maybe they want your credit card number so they can pay your bill for you as a thank you! :D

Seriously, it's probably the same form for like a hundred different things.  I'm certain they aren't going to charge you for it.  Lighthound send me an email telling me that if I had a wrench to open it, they'd just send me a switch and I could replace it myself.  That saves shipping one way at least, plus keeps the light in my hand until the replacement arrives.

Of course since I am sending it to NutSAK to fix and upgrade for me, it's a moot point, but it's the thought that counts!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 12:38:51 AM
Alright, they received my light today...hopefully they can get it fixed in a timely fashion :-\
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 07:30:50 PM
They emailed me saying they received it, and when I asked how long it would take to repair, they told me they were sending me a brand new one early next week.  Hopefully this new one will have been of another manufacturing run and the same problems won't show up in a few weeks.

I also asked if they could include a red filter, but She said probably not, but I can buy the filter set (blue and red) or $6  ::)  Shipping the broken light out to them costed that much...you'd think they could throw in a filter the size of a quarter to offset the cost/time.  Oh well, I kept the pocket clip and original blue filter before I sent it 8)
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 02:34:22 AM
I received my new (in blister pack) light Tuesday...along with two Pentagonlight tshirts and a pen! ;D

The clickie switch was a little iffy at first, but so far it hasn't acted up.  The compass has a bubble in it and throws it off a bit, making it hard to float freely...a minor QC problem...but then again if I had paid $50 I could be pissed.  I think the $30 or so I paid is fair (as long as the original problem doesn't surface again...)
[

Offline Sharpdogs

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 04:21:30 PM
I had problems with my Tan Molle Light.  Worked fine for the first hour then it just died.  Wouldn't turn on and fresh batteries did not work either.  I called Pentagon, got an RMA number and shipped it out.  Less than two weeks later I received a brand new light and t-shirt.  I have been using the light quite a bit for the past two months and I took it on my camping trip over Labor Day weekend.  I am happy to report that what ever issues or problems they had, no longer exist.  The light works great!
w

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 01:14:53 AM
I am happy to report that what ever issues or problems they had, no longer exist.  The light works great!

Same here, my replacement works fine...I have it in my pocket right now.  I think it was just the first manufacturing run that was defective.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD