Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Now the Pioneer is messed up!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Now the Pioneer is messed up!
on: October 26, 2009, 07:04:16 AM
Okay,
Every week I've been choosing a different knife to EDC.  This week I pulled out the Pioneer.  Haven't used it since I got it other than opening it and closing it a few times.  Tonight I pulled it out and looked at the blade and the end of the blade, about half cm from the tip was terribly chipped.  Wasn't like that when I got it, but apparently opening and closing it a few times makes it like that.  Well, I fixed that after about 45 mins of work, closed it, opened it, closed it and now it's chipped again.  It seems to be slamming into the piece of metal (actually two pieces of metal) that separate the knife and awl layer from the screwdriver and can opener layer (that piece that the key ring is attached to).  Any ideas here?  Is it just the way it is or is something wrong?  I will say that while I understand that the knife doesn't lay perfectly parallel to the scales, it seems to be laying way crooked.  But I don't know.  Forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology here, I'm just frustrated.  The Cadet isn't fixed yet either.  Grrr...I'm going back to my Climber.  :(
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: Now the Pioneer is messed up!
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:33:40 PM
You're having a run of bad luck ! Sounds like a warranty issue , send it in .

Chris

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:15:29 PM
That's not good.  Certainly warranty time. 

For the record, the blade's are not meant to be parallel, that's OK but the chipping certainly isn't.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:38:41 PM
Is it really chipping or is the edge just flattened? If you allow the blade to snap shut it will cause that on many slipjoint designs. The proper way to close a slipjoint blade is to keep control of the blade.

The bent appearance of the blade is normal. It is referred to as "crinking"...it allows the blades to nest with each other in a multi-blade knife. In the past it was done buy the Master Cutler by hand with a hammer...in SAKs, the "crinking" is machined in.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:42:30 PM
Do you snap your knives shut, or do you close them gently?

Letting a SAK blade snap shut on it's own will sometimes cause it to hit that spacer which you noticed. That in turn will damage the end of the blade.

- Whoops, I see Spork beat me to it....  :P
[

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 03:46:52 PM
- Whoops, I see Spork beat me to it....  :P

I win! :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:07:27 PM
Lord girl, what's going on with your poor little SAKs?!  :o

This might be a sign that it's time for you to get in to modding - you want another project dontcha?  >:D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 07:17:19 PM

This might be a sign that it's time for you to get in to modding - you want another project dontcha?  >:D
LOL!  Kim will never forgive you for suggesting that!  I'd love to get into it but I can't begin to imagine how to start. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:00:07 PM

LOL!  Kim will never forgive you for suggesting that!  I'd love to get into it but I can't begin to imagine how to start. 

With violence  :viking:  Oh and make sure all your other SAKs get to see what happens to the ones that piss you off.  They'll be much easier to keep inline afterwards  :tu:

Alternatively here's a little guide Gareth put together :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:20:45 PM

With violence  :viking:  Oh and make sure all your other SAKs get to see what happens to the ones that piss you off.  They'll be much easier to keep inline afterwards  :tu:
LOL!  That's hysterical!  And thanks for the link!
Alternatively here's a little guide Gareth put together :)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 08:21:45 PM

Kel, put your hands in the air and step AWAY from the Pioneer...   :police:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 08:23:55 PM
LOL!  I'm backing...I'm backing.  Actually I got disgusted with it last night and put it away.  Now i'm sporting a lovely glow in the dark climber some awfully nice chaps sent to me a while a back.  It really is my fave.  :)  Thanks again!  :)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:28:36 PM
LOL!  I'm backing...I'm backing.  Actually I got disgusted with it last night and put it away.  Now i'm sporting a lovely glow in the dark climber some awfully nice chaps sent to me a while a back.  It really is my fave.  :)  Thanks again!  :)
;)

And if you don't touch your SAKs, you won't find any flaws.. :D

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 08:29:29 PM
;)

And if you don't touch your SAKs, you won't find any flaws.. :D
This is very true! ;)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 01:43:11 AM
Snapping the blade shut on a SAK sometimes gives it a "whiplash" effect and it hits the pin near the tip of the blade.  I did that to one of my SAKs and when I noticed there was a little indentation on the blade :(
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD