Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Craftsman, Stanley, Sheffield, or...

us Offline turbov21

Craftsman, Stanley, Sheffield, or...
on: October 27, 2009, 10:15:27 PM
In the last few months that I've been building up my tool box, I've tried to balance name brand tools with cheapies (whatever Wal-Mart or my home supply store has that looks interesting).  The majority of name brand tools I've been buying have been Stanely and Sheffield (probably a few more by Sheffield).  Recently, my mother told me that my grandfather was a Craftsman fan, and since discovering my local Sears sells Craftsman tools, my most recent purchases have been that.  There there's Popular Mechanics which seems to promote Channellock tools.

There's a lot of brands out there.

Now I'm not looking to compare which brands are better, as I'm sure they all have trade offs, but I am curious: what brand of non-multitools tools do people here prefer?  What brands am I missing by virtue of only knowing what's sold here in the states?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Re: Craftsman, Stanley, Sheffield, or...
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:20:45 PM
Most of the tools I've got are Kobalt.  My mom is a bit of a handy woman (and way better at it than my dad) and she's been helping me build up my toolbox.  I like them a lot.  Not overly expensive and very good quality from my limited experience.
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:29:18 PM
Got the woodworking bug a few years back and I've long lusted after some veritas planes

Just check out this baby  :ahhh

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:33:58 PM by Screwtape »
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:08 PM
Snap On Ratchets, Klein screwdrivers and cutters, linesman pliers, and fishtape. Paladin punchdown and data tools, Milwaulkee holesaws, Bosch powertools, Craftsman prybars, Kolbalt precision screwdrivers, Husky impact sockets (half inch) , Husky mallet, Stanley Fatmax 25' tape measure, Stanley T-square, Williams 3/8  deep sockets,
and Snap On again as they make the best Newton meter torque wrenches.

If you can get old school Craftsman... Get It! Their old sockets are bulletproof. Cresent makes good tools too for the price. I hate paying Snap On prices but one you use one of their ratchets you'll never go back.
:like:    :MTO:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:04:13 AM
Snap On Ratchets, Klein screwdrivers and cutters, linesman pliers, and fishtape. Paladin punchdown and data tools, Milwaulkee holesaws, Bosch powertools, Craftsman prybars, Kolbalt precision screwdrivers, Husky impact sockets (half inch) , Husky mallet, Stanley Fatmax 25' tape measure, Stanley T-square, Williams 3/8  deep sockets,
and Snap On again as they make the best Newton meter torque wrenches.

If you can get old school Craftsman... Get It! Their old sockets are bulletproof. Cresent makes good tools too for the price. I hate paying Snap On prices but one you use one of their ratchets you'll never go back.

Wow, ain't that the truth?  I love my Snapon stuff, but geeze, I hate the price...

Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowes), Ridgid (Home Depot)  and to a slightly lesser degree Craftsman are all pretty good amateur tools.  When compared to $napon, you'll see the difference, but since all carry a lifetime warranty, I'd say get stuff from the most convenient of these for you.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:15:29 AM
i forgot about Ridgid powertools! They are well worth the bread. Battery or motor kicks they give you a new one under their lifetime warranty. I've used it a couple of times on my 3/8ths beater drill.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:16:11 AM
Cresent makes good tools too for the price.

Marvin's, my local hardware store, carries crescent tools.  I wasn't sure about them, so thanks for the endorsement. :)

Also, thanks for the brand names.  I'm going to enjoy window shopping these.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:54 AM
I buy tools that say USA,  U.S.A. , Made in USA, Forged in USA, or variations of that... Brand names don't really matter to me.
(

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 02:33:27 AM
I buy tools that say USA,  U.S.A. , Made in USA, Forged in USA, or variations of that... Brand names don't really matter to me.

Klein tools are made in the USA, Snap On and some Craftsman.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:59:01 AM

I try to abide by this, which is part of the reason I'm trying to switch to Craftsman, but I have more than a couple of tools from China and Mexico in my collection.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 01:03:30 PM
I'm rather partial to a King Dick spanner ;)

I have a bag of carpentry tools which I have had for 20 years and are still going strong. Amongst them, Stanley is most common I think - all from the UK though so not many US made tools. The exception is a lovely Estwing hammer I bought myself like this one:

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 01:05:19 PM
This place isn't that cheap but it does have some great tools turn up:

http://www.oldtools.co.uk/
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 01:45:43 PM
my collection started in the late 80's, Stanley and Craftsman plus the rest,
my craftsman are still going strong but my all time fav was S&K brand.
I understand snap-on owns them now.

who knows now-a-days where anything is made :think:
so now when I buy a tool I look for "Lifetime Warranty"
and while it may not be the best I can get it helps.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 02:09:40 PM
Teng-tools! Good price-quality if you ask me. Have some stuff from Hazet as well but I try to keep everything from the same brand. Not a smart thing to do, I know, because some tools are better from that brand and others are better from an other brand. But I like to have some sort of a consistency in my tools  :) The only other brand I'm looking into is Gedore because they should have a very nice stainless steel tool line that is nice to have on a the boat.

I know Snap-on but never handled it my self. Not easy to get over here and very expensive so I'm told.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22:54 PM
I've got some Teng combination spanners and ratchet sets for work, very nice I'd recommend them. Other work brands include Knippex for snips etc and CK for VDE screwdrivers.  Stage department have some festool kit which is very good and comes in a nice green colour too.

Got some love for Barco tools too, their multi is rubbish but they did invent the adjustable spanner (allegedly) and I have one of their socket sets at home.
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 05:19:32 PM
I'm rather partial to a King Dick spanner ;)

I have a bag of carpentry tools which I have had for 20 years and are still going strong. Amongst them, Stanley is most common I think - all from the UK though so not many US made tools. The exception is a lovely Estwing hammer I bought myself like this one:

(Image removed from quote.)

Speaking of UK tools heres some that were in my tool chest.

(

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:06 AM
Klein mostly, with  Channellock, Wiha, Stanley, Husky, Lufkin, Crescent, Xcelite, DeWalt and others.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 01:37:26 AM
Ever notice that when your  Xcelite tools get older the handles smell like catfish bait?

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 05:21:03 AM
When I left school to do my Mechanics apprenticeship I paid off my tool kit through the garage (I was on $3.00/hr :o) It was an Australian made Sidcrome tool kit.
Sidcrome is/was an aussie icon , solid no nonsense tools with life time warranty. Stanley bought them out in 1990 & promptly stopped making tools in Australia  >:( >:(  . You can still buy Sidcrome tools they just are not made in OZ now  :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 06:04:45 AM
When I left school to do my Mechanics apprenticeship I paid off my tool kit through the garage (I was on $3.00/hr :o) It was an Australian made Sidcrome tool kit.
Sidcrome is/was an aussie icon , solid no nonsense tools with life time warranty. Stanley bought them out in 1990 & promptly stopped making tools in Australia  >:( >:(  . You can still buy Sidcrome tools they just are not made in OZ now  :(

Thats a shame.
(

us Offline turbov21

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 09:43:01 PM
Most of the tools I've got are Kobalt.  My mom is a bit of a handy woman (and way better at it than my dad) and she's been helping me build up my toolbox.  I like them a lot.  Not overly expensive and very good quality from my limited experience.

I picked up a couple of Kobalt tools yesterday, and I have to agree.  They aren't too pricey, but they feel pretty solid.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%