Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paratool

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Paratool
on: January 29, 2007, 05:08:23 AM
I got a Paratool the other day. It's an interesting tool.  Anybody ever carry one as a everyday tool? Also have has anyone used the Plier heads at the different angles to get out of any situations?
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Paratool
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:59:22 AM
I have one and I carried it a few times but I just don't care for it overall.  Another great design idea, but I just can't get used to it.

It is a handy little tool though.  In that size range I am finding that I prefer the Pocket Power Plier though since it's more of a standard design and incorporates the compound leverage gears.

The ParaTool I got was second hand and that might account for this problem, but the plier head never seemed to "hold" in any position (except folded or fully extended) leaving me to wonder how effective it would be to actually use them "sideways."

Different idea, and comfortable in the hand- no collector should be without one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:11:52 PM
Since his paratool is second hand....wonder where he got that from? ::) The Paratool is pretty cool, I prefer the older style can opener that it incorperates. The Pivoting head is strange and I have only once or twice used it to get at something that was at an angle, I used it mainly like a regular tool, The opening and closing of the tool seemed a little funny but I loved the flat profile of the handles and it was so thin I kept it in the sheath in my back pocket and never felt it there till I needed it. The pliers Head is adjustable via the hex nuts but I could never get the friction consistant. Ever get tired Def let me know lol Someone on another forum was asking about thin tools for back pocket carry and they said sideclip, well I recommend the paratool for the same reason. after all it means "to prepare" :)

David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:26:53 PM
Does anybody have a ParaTool with a shiny polished finish? Mine has a matte bead-blast finish, but I think I remember that SOG switched to a polish for better corrosion resistance?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:50:32 PM
Mine is polished.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 09:24:35 AM
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 08:41:58 PM
I bought my ParaTool when they first came out. (At least ten years ago, but I can't remember exactly when?) The finish on the knife blades is polished, but the plier head and handles are matte.

Not a bead blast though. The finish reminds me of some parts we make at work. I think it has been tumbled, in a vibratory tumbler.
matte paratool.jpg
* matte paratool.jpg (Filesize: 65.63 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 01:36:23 AM
...in a vibratory tumbler.

Do you have to be 18 and a consenting adult to own one of those???  >:D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:20:07 AM
Do you have to be 18 and a consenting adult to own one of those???  >:D

Not if you use it in the privacy of your own home!  :D

tumbler.jpg
* tumbler.jpg (Filesize: 62.35 KB)

Offline colubrid

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 09:42:05 PM
Just wanted to check this to make sure...

The paratool parts will fit in a Powertool, right?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 12:24:45 AM
yuppers.

Def

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 03:18:43 AM
I got a Paratool the other day. It's an interesting tool.  Anybody ever carry one as a everyday tool? Also have has anyone used the Plier heads at the different angles to get out of any situations?

Gotta admit, it's my least favorite SOG tool. (I even prefer the SwitchPlier. Honest!) Mine's very stiff, which sure doesn't help my like it, but the worst part is, it's a bear to close properly. I tend to use any multitool with one hand, and I find it extremely difficult to fold both handles away from the plier jaws so that they mesh just right on closing. It's just too fiddly for me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:51:45 AM by Gryffin »

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 05:56:12 AM

Gotta admit, it's my least favorite SOG tool. (I even prefer the SwitchPlier. Honest!) Mine's very stiff, which sure doesn't help my like it, but the worst part is, it's a bear to close properly. I tend to use any multitool with one hand, and I find it extremely difficult to fold both handles away from the plier jaws so that they mesh just right on closing. It's just too fiddly for me.

I'm curious about the SwitchPlier.  I have been attracted to the "coolness" of it, but is it strong enough to do the basic tasks or is it a more "lightweight" plier??

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 12:16:07 PM
I'd say it's more of a "gee-whiz" kind of a tool. As a matter of fact, it is probably the ultimate gee-whiz tool. Hold it in your hand and push the little button; the pliers flick out like magic. A real attention getter.

But unfortunately the pivot mechanism is pretty weak. It would be limited to light duty only.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 12:35:23 PM
I have to agree with Bob on this one.  For a couple of days after I got mine I couldn't put the darn thing down!

Def

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 04:08:12 AM
So, is it along the same lines a the Gerber Recoil then??

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 08:12:58 AM
EXACTLY!!   :laugh:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%