Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Game

Offline supratentorial

Gerber Game
on: May 19, 2007, 03:16:38 PM
:multi:  The Super Fantastic Gerber Game.  :multi:
The Gerber Game is for one or more players.  It's fun for all ages.  ::)  The object of the game is to arrange the multi-tools by their manufacture date, identify the new feature that was first implemented in each of the multi-tools, and match each of the multi-tools with the correct sheath.  ???  ::)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Gerber Game
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:13:23 PM
cool idea mate :grin: :grin:

i have,nt got a clue though :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:30:09 PM
Ok i'll give it a shot (blindfolded in the dark)

Date of maufacture : 2 1 3 4
Sheaths : 1B 2C 3D 4A

As to new bits: Theres the new SAF-T locking system and circlip on the sliding mechanism on 4. One of them will no longer pinch your hand when using the pliers.
And there ends my pathetic attempt!

Roadie

Edit to add - Crimpers on number 4 as well. Redisgned jaws on 3?
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:16:55 AM
I agree with Roadie on the ages of the tools but that's about as far as I can go with it.  I am afraid I don;t have as much experience with Gerbers as I'd like.

I am just guessing on them though, and here's my reasoning.

#2 and #1 are the oldest because they are the ones with Gerber's patented "Pinchy" handles.  #2 is older because of the less extravagant markings.  New models or designs rarely have good markings as companies want to invest as little money as possible in getting the tool out the door.  After it becomes a success they are more confident about putting their name and money on it.

#3 comes next as it gets away from the Pinchy handles, followed by #4 which also does away with the "Foldy" implements.

But again, that's just an educated guess.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 01:36:33 PM
#1 is the oldest. It has a polished finish, instead of bead blast like all Gerbers since. And take a close look at the cutout in the handle of #1, where the nail nick is supposed to be.   :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 02:11:19 PM
I stand corrected....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:02:44 PM
Good answers! 

The multi-pliers were numbered in order by year and the corresponding sheaths were lettered in inverse order.

The first two multi-pliers are old patent-pending multi-pliers.  #1 is the older, shiny multi-plier with the scissors.  #2 has the newer bead-blast finish and the awl.

Roadie is correct...  #3 has the new needle nose jaws.

...and #4 has the patent pending Saf.T.Plus locking mechanism.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 06:15:12 PM
The awl on number #2 looks pretty damn heavy duty, and what exactly is meant by the 'locking jaws' on number #4?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 06:45:42 PM
JoeBW and I were working on a Gerber variation spreadsheet a couple of months ago. There are a surprising number of evolutionary steps along the way. Supratentorial, the needlenose model you have labeled #3 is actually version number five on our list. It came in either the needlenose (like you have pictured) or a new beefier, blunt-nose jaw version. (shown below)

There were a number of other subtle changes as well.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 07:14:16 PM
JoeBW and I were working on a Gerber variation spreadsheet a couple of months ago. There are a surprising number of evolutionary steps along the way. Supratentorial, the needlenose model you have labeled #3 is actually version number five on our list. It came in either the needlenose (like you have pictured) or a new beefier, blunt-nose jaw version. (shown below)

There were a number of other subtle changes as well.

There were more steps in Gerber's evolution of the multi-plier (including the evolution of the "evolution"  :P ) but these are a few that I found particularly interesting.  Actually, I was going to just post #1, #3, and #4 but I already had a photo that included #2 and I was too lazy to make a new photo.  ::)  Am I wrong in thinking that example #3 was the first needlenose?  I did a forum search for your spreadsheet but couldn't find it.  Could you post a link?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:30:35 PM
Your #3 picture was the first needlenose model that I am aware of. (The exact same tool was also produced with a Fiskars logo)

The Gerber spreadsheet hasn't made it onto the web yet. It was sort of a "work in progress" as we identified additional versions. I'm thinking its pretty well complete though, so I'll post it....if I can figure out how!  :P

Offline supratentorial

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 05:39:18 AM
I'll post it....if I can figure out how!  :P

maybe a PDF or a JPG would be easiest? 

Offline supratentorial

Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 05:10:31 AM
The Gerber spreadsheet hasn't made it onto the web yet. It was sort of a "work in progress" as we identified additional versions. I'm thinking its pretty well complete though, so I'll post it....if I can figure out how!  :P

:pok:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 05:37:11 AM
Ouch!  :D

Offline supratentorial

Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 08:24:33 AM
Ouch!  :D

I bet you weren't expecting this one:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 04:38:19 AM
 Haha, good one!  :D   

OT: where can I get a good (and cheap) GIF editor?

Offline supratentorial

Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 08:41:51 AM
OT: where can I get a good (and cheap) GIF editor?

Microsoft Gif Animator is cheap ($0) but I'm not sure that I'd call it good. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/13212

GIMP is also cheap ($0) and it can be used to generate animated GIFs.  http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/

Adobe Image Ready also has a GIF editor but it is expensive.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%