Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newer SAK models with white LEDs

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Newer SAK models with white LEDs
on: October 29, 2009, 11:58:18 PM
I know that at least a few of you guys are also members of CPF.

Anyone read anything over on CPF on the type of LED and the output in lumens of the newer SAKs with white LEDs?

Are Wenger and Vic using the same white LEDs with similar outputs?

(Trying to search CPF for specific info like this is usually a waste of time, in my experience.)

N

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Newer SAK models with white LEDs
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:00:51 AM
Don't think I've ever seen anything about SAK LED on CPF.

00 Offline Bill.H

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 04:44:23 AM
Don't think I've ever seen anything about SAK LED on CPF.

Me either.

Anyway, it seems earlier this year Vic went from the red to a white LED, but now are going to an even brighter newer white LED. I haven't found anything on their site about the newer one yet, or even seen one.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:29:53 AM
Someone on here's bound to have got one though :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:59:30 PM
I don't know about any new White LED this year, I'll look into it.  Last year when they introduced the SilverTech scales (that was last year wasn't it?) they introduced a nice new white LED, larger in size, but they fit it into the 58mm Silver-Tech scales.

I'm guess it's about 5 lumen, but I've not compared lights for a while. I think it's brighter than the in-line LED module which has always been white, but I can't remember what I said about that at the time.  I'm pretty sure I said the new one was brighter.

I heard that they would be putting this into some other 58mm knives like the Midnight mini champ.  It would cool if they could have both red and white in the mini-champ, but I'm bettin' it's not happenin'.

I do occasionally use the White LED on my silvertech mini-champ, but I find my other pocket lights generally more useful and easier in most cases since on the SAK you have to keep the button pressed to keep it lit.  Even the latest Photon-Freedom keychain light is better.  Now if they managed to put the Photon UI into the SAK that would make it 100 times better.  Still for emergency use it does come in handy.  On the 111mm though could get a real photon in the scales if they tried.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 02:40:16 PM
I've got a Signature Lite in Silver Tech.  I don't remember there being any mention of lumen output in the manual.  I searched Victorinox's Swiss site, not www.swissarmy.com but www.victorinoxch.com, and on that site it had the LED lite for the Signature Lite in Silver Tech listed at 18000 mcd.  It didn't list the angle though so I guessed 45 degrees and used an online converter that came up with 8.609 Lumens.  At 30 degrees it's:  3.853.  I would say the angle they show in the picture is probably closer to 45 degrees.  Check out this link and see what you think.  http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=583&lang=E&highlight=LED
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:17:33 PM by 1jump2many »
[

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 02:47:26 PM
I do occasionally use the White LED on my silvertech mini-champ, but I find my other pocket lights generally more useful and easier in most cases since on the SAK you have to keep the button pressed to keep it lit.  Even the latest Photon-Freedom keychain light is better.  Now if they managed to put the Photon UI into the SAK that would make it 100 times better.  Still for emergency use it does come in handy.  On the 111mm though could get a real photon in the scales if they tried.

Actually, I find the press-to-activate UI more convenient for pocket use: my Photon would always switch on by itself and burn through the battery. Not so with the Vic LED.
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD