Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

scale replacement question

Offline jdhermit

scale replacement question
on: October 29, 2009, 07:39:25 PM
first off...thanks...a lot...for the...new obsession.
I've read through 40 or so pages of this Swiss forum, and now find myself NEEDING to collect SAK's.
 ::)

I'm about to pick up a Super Tinker to start out with (well, already have a couple classics and an older, late '70's Wenger).  But my question is- Do I understand correctly, the scales are not, for the most part, reusable?

I'm the kind of guy who would be thrilled to have perhaps 5 colors of scales, and switch them out regularly...any possible way of doing this?

I know, its a longshot, and I'm sure i'll get some "just buy one of each color", right? 
But...SWMBO is carefully watching my wallet, so that's out of the question.

Just thought I'd ask...

Thanks!
John

Offline P35

Re: scale replacement question
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:09:22 PM
the scales are reusable ...IF.... you are careful when taking them off.
I doubt if you could take them on and off multiple times without the attachment points, on the scales,  wearing out.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:22:19 PM
What P35 said. Welcome to the forum  :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:26:17 PM
the scales are reusable ...IF.... you are careful when taking them off.
I doubt if you could take them on and off multiple times without the attachment points, on the scales,  wearing out.

That pretty much covers it.  Every time you take a scale off you'll do at least a little damage to the attachment point (where it clips onto the top of the pins), after you've taken them off for the second or third time they won't clip back in place well.  

Not all is lost though as I believe some guys on your side of the pond use "Goop" glue to hold on the scales.  As I understand it "goop" will hold everything neatly but still let you remove the scales.  Could be a bit messy though.

BTW welcome to the forum John. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:31:18 PM
Scale issues been covered, so Welcome to the forum, jdhermit..  :cheers:
[hint] Watch your wallet [/hint]  ;) :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:20 PM
Goop is a silicon based glue and dries to a rubbery consistency similar to rubber cement, or the sealant around your bath tub.  It does work quite well for removing and re-attaching scales, but I would say that SAK scales, not being designed to be r'n'r'ed on a regular basis likely wouldn't stand up to more than a few removals before you started to see flaws from flexing and so on.

Plus it would be a bit of effort to try and remove all the old Goop from the nooks and crannies in the scales and around the bushings, so it might actually be cheaper and easier to get a few of them in different colors.  Have a look at Tim's Shop (FELINEVET) and see what I mean.  He has many second hand SAKs at more than reasonable prices, and if you don't see what you are looking for, send him an email as he has sooooo much stuff he can't keep it all listed!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jdhermit

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:22:01 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, gents!

Its what I figured, just wanted confirmation!
Guess I'll just have to tell her that I "need" to buy all these different models with different scales.
 :think:

Well, then I'll just order up the first Super Tinker this evening!

By the way, my late '70's/early '80's Wenger has "Sulzer" printed on it...any idea what that means?

John

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:38 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, gents!

Its what I figured, just wanted confirmation!
Guess I'll just have to tell her that I "need" to buy all these different models with different scales.
 :think:

Well, then I'll just order up the first Super Tinker this evening!

By the way, my late '70's/early '80's Wenger has "Sulzer" printed on it...any idea what that means?

John
Maybe this Swiss company.: click  :think:

Offline jdhermit

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:47:26 PM
err...probably...sorry i didn't search.

guessing my dad had some sort of business with them back then and got it somehow.

Didn't think it would be a company...was thinking it was something else, as its etched on the blade, not printed on the scales.

thanks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:49:53 PM by jdhermit »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:24:59 PM
Welcome  :D

Clearly, what you need is 5 of the same SAK in different colours ;)
You've come to the right place  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:52:20 PM
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

and good question, it would have been nice right ;)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 12:00:53 AM
Welcome to Empty Wallet!

I have to tell you, I basically started with a SuperTinker (having only a couple smaller ones before) and now it's crazy SAKs around here!  Maybe you should start with another model.... Oh don't make it an Alox one either.

.... no you're doomed unless you stick to the Classic.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 12:10:26 AM
With all the Classic variants out there?  That alone is enough to drive someone around the bend!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jdhermit

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 01:48:54 AM
here's the problem...
two sons- both want to start collecting now that they see me getting into them.
10 y.o. (already has one classic and a Leatherman Squirt) wants a mini champ.
6 y.o. wants "the biggest knife they make"...  and he's serious.

so i've got to satisfy all three of us!

???

SWMBO has her hands full(fully on my wallet and credit cards).

John

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 03:08:24 AM
Biggest knife they make huh?  That would be the aptly named Giant:

At just under three pounds it includes every implement Wenger produces and retails for a mere $1200.00 in the US.

Just what every six year old needs!  :D

Def

Offline jdhermit

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 03:14:56 AM
WOW.
I'm showing the 6 yo in the morning...
he'll love it!

:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 10:16:31 AM
A Victorinox Swiss Champ is the largest "normal" SAK they do; http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=SwissChamp

You'll save quite a bit of cash with the Champion Plus though, and only loose the pliers; http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Champion+Plus

Both would be very 'fat' for 6 year olds hands though.  A Ranger might be slightly more realistic; http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Ranger  

Wenger also do the Tool Chest; http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tool+Chest+Plus
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:21:06 AM by Gareth »

Offline Ben X

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 06:07:34 AM
 :rofl: I'm just picturing the look you'd see on his face if you gave him the Giant. Anyway, I don't know about dropping a Champ on a 6 year old- does he have anything to compare it to, to know whether he truly got the largest? Gareth might be onto something with the Ranger, it would be on the thick/heavy side but not set you back $50+ for something very likely to disappear :P

I picture a My First Vic Plus being a good choice for a starter SAK, but of course it's not "Fully Loaded." Maybe give him one, and tell him he will earn the next one by being responsible with the MFV+?

And by the way, I would choose a Fieldmaster over a Ranger- not many 6 year olds would have a grasp on how to use a metal saw/file or a chisel. The Fieldmaster would capture all those basics for him- scissors, saw, knife, and a phillips and flathead. Gareth would say Huntsman of course :pok: but I would picture it being more beneficial for him to get familiar with the use of a phillips screwdriver than a corkscrew :P Plus he may not be able to safely use the can opener for phillips screws without incident :P

"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 09:02:16 AM
:rofl: I'm just picturing the look you'd see on his face if you gave him the Giant. Anyway, I don't know about dropping a Champ on a 6 year old- does he have anything to compare it to, to know whether he truly got the largest? Gareth might be onto something with the Ranger, it would be on the thick/heavy side but not set you back $50+ for something very likely to disappear :P

I picture a My First Vic Plus being a good choice for a starter SAK, but of course it's not "Fully Loaded." Maybe give him one, and tell him he will earn the next one by being responsible with the MFV+?

And by the way, I would choose a Fieldmaster over a Ranger- not many 6 year olds would have a grasp on how to use a metal saw/file or a chisel. The Fieldmaster would capture all those basics for him- scissors, saw, knife, and a phillips and flathead. Gareth would say Huntsman of course :pok: but I would picture it being more beneficial for him to get familiar with the use of a phillips screwdriver than a corkscrew :P Plus he may not be able to safely use the can opener for phillips screws without incident :P

LOL, no even I have to admit the corkscrew isn't quite as useful to a six year old as it is to me. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%