Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
5mm LED's?
on: October 31, 2009, 11:10:20 AM
I was chatting Neil recently about the Infinity (shocking I know :D) and he was saying that he just wasn't keen on the way that the LED cast a blue tinge :-\

Now I know most 5mm LED's do the same, and while it doesn't bother me too much, I'd like to know why that is ???

So why (in relative simple terms, because I am :D) do they have a blue tinge rather than pure white ???

Thanks in advance guy's n girls :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Re: 5mm LED's?
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:23:32 AM
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:25:42 AM
Does this answer anything   :-\

http://ledlightsathome.com/2007/12/07/a-lesson-in-color-temperature/
Perfect, thanks very much :cheers:

Even I could get my head around that :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 03:01:15 PM
That's a good article, but it's not the full story... 

Thing is, there's no such thing as a "white" LED.  The "white" LEDs in our torches (regardless of color temp) all start out life as a blue-emitting diode.  In the manufacturing process, yellow phosphor is added to the die to shift the spectrum of the LED toward white.  This is not only why some LEDs are bluer or some are yellower, depending on the amount of phosphor applied, but also why the die of the LED is yellow in color.  You are seeing the phosphor sitting on top of the die.

I can show you some white 5mm LEDs that are very blue or purple, and I can show you some that are quite yellow.
- Terry

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:59:16 PM
Thanks for muddying the water's Terry :D

But i get you :tu:

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:39:36 AM

Thing is, there's no such thing as a "white" LED.  The "white" LEDs in our torches (regardless of color temp) all start out life as a blue-emitting diode.  In the manufacturing process, yellow phosphor is added to the die to shift the spectrum of the LED toward white.  This is not only why some LEDs are bluer or some are yellower, depending on the amount of phosphor applied, but also why the die of the LED is yellow in color.  You are seeing the phosphor sitting on top of the die.

I can show you some white 5mm LEDs that are very blue or purple, and I can show you some that are quite yellow.

Good explanation.

One minor quibble is that the phospor isn't really shifting the frequency of light from the blue LED.  Frequency shifting is an optical technique, but that's not what is happening here.

Rather the phosphor is absorbing photons emitted from the LED, then emitting photons at more desirable frequencies centered around yellow.

Small variations in the amount of phosphor applied and its distribution with respect to the LED will have big visible effects on the output.

N

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 09:41:57 AM
Just so you know I do understand how it works now (I'm really not that much of a thicky :D)

But I had no idea it was such an involved process :)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:00:50 PM
This is all very interesting  :D but remember you can have the following tint variants: :tu:

White
green(yucky)
yellow
blue
pinkish
red
brownish

and one of my favourites ANGRY BLUE  :rant: any led can be tint shifted to blue if over driven  :salute:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 03:03:01 PM

Good explanation.

One minor quibble is that the phospor isn't really shifting the frequency of light from the blue LED.  Frequency shifting is an optical technique, but that's not what is happening here.

Rather the phosphor is absorbing photons emitted from the LED, then emitting photons at more desirable frequencies centered around yellow.

Small variations in the amount of phosphor applied and its distribution with respect to the LED will have big visible effects on the output.

Thanks RZ.  I did not know that.  :tu:

..and it make a lot of sense.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 03:10:58 PM
This is all very interesting  :D but remember you can have the following tint variants: :tu:

White
green(yucky)
yellow
blue
pinkish
red
brownish

and one of my favourites ANGRY BLUE  :rant: any led can be tint shifted to blue if over driven  :salute:

I've seen variation of all of those too.

It should also be mentioned that, although this thread is specifically about 5mm LEDs, these tint variations can occur with all types.  Blue and purple are the tints most frequently seen from the Nichia 5mm LEDs in lights such as the Gerber UI, ARC AAA-P and Fenix E01.  I'm not sure why the Nichias in particular are manufactured that way.  There are "snow" white 5mm LEDs available from other sources.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD