Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A quick update on some new items.

Chako · 15 · 3266

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A quick update on some new items.
on: November 04, 2009, 04:26:39 AM
I am going to start this update with something not Swiss, but trying very hard to be...

During my short time away, I came across what I first thought was a SwissChamp in a locked display case in one of the local stores. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a RUKO knockoff. Now for 14 dollars, I figured I couldn't go wrong, and I wanted a closer look at this made in China piece.

The RUKO logo was on the backside.

The knife is a rather good knockoff in that they got most of the things correct. Missing is the back hook. I guess they must have copied an older SAK. I was amazed that they even copied the small screwdriver. I am fairly certain that Victorinox didn't sell them the patent. Note the absurdly short toothpick, tweezers, and poorly made mini screwdriver.

Quality wise, not so good. There is a bit of side to side wiggle in a few of the tools. The magnifying glass is a blob of distortion. I do like the metal frame though, and wished Victorinox would follow suite...but that is just an aesthetics thing. The tools themselves are a bit crude in places. Overall, you get what you pay for. I have seen the real thing go for as low as 45 US and that is an even better steal. I did feel dirty buying it though, knowing it was a craptacular copy of a nice Victorinox SwissChamp. I was just rather surprised that someone would go to the trouble and expense to copy a difficult and many parted SAK. A cheap conversation piece.

Back on solid ground, I also found a nice SwissCard Lite. This being my third SwissCard, I may have to start looking for a few more in the future.

I also bought a nice little Victorinox toy truck.

Here is something a bit different. The complete new series of Victorinox Zodiac Classics. There is also an older series, but I haven't seen any of those up for sale yet.

They come in this nice packaging. The seller tells me they are sold mostly in the Asian market. I believed him once I opened them up and found they come with a nice matching card in some sort of Asian language.

Here, you can see the card, the cover slip, and the separate knife graphics.

The back side has the more traditional Zodiac symbols.

I also received a Victorinox Traveller Lite.

I had to find the instructions online to figure out how to run it. I had some bad flashbacks to those digital watches that nobody knows how to change the time on. This is one complex SAK, especially when you access different functions dependent upon the length of time you press the Swiss emblem. That is dependent upon which mode you are in also. Thank god the instructions were easy to find online.

Definitely more complex then the Altimeter Plus shown above the Traveller Lite.

Here is a side view showing the differences between the Altimeter Plus and the Traveller Lite on the right.

Last but not least, I just received another special scaled SwissChamp. This now makes the third in the series that I currently have. I am still missing the Horn and the Mother of Pearl.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:30:22 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Re: A quick update on some new items.
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:36:24 AM
:drool:

*thud*
[

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 04:39:31 AM
Nice additions.  I can appreciate the curiosity regarding the SAK knockoff.  It's still amazing that a manufacture can have a decent profit margin for something so complex.

You have inspired me to look into the Altimeter plus, that looks like a great tool.  I like the classic look of the sak juxtaposed with the LCD display.

Anyways, welcome back, keep on building that astounding collection.
:)

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:59:45 AM
cool 8)
A

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:41 AM
Really like the Asian Astrology knives!  I have a couple of the Trucks; I'm not sure why, but maybe I'll run across a youngster that needs a SAK introduction.  With the recent sale prices on the special scaled SwissChamps I've been filling out my collection as well.  I have a MOP and Rosewood in the mail to me and I think that completes my collection of the basic Vic special scales minus the T/T variations, and I think they may have changed the actual material source once or twice.  I really like the exposed Rivets on the Stag, but I think the Horn is my favorite.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:56:33 AM
I'm kind of upset they're not proper Chinese Zodiac as I'd have to get a Dragon for myself. :D

Oh and... why don't we have a fainting emoticon?! I not find I had a proper use for this... :drool:
Got those frog legs.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:49:01 AM
I like those wood scaled SAK!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:20:54 PM
I may have to put the Traveller Lite back on my list.  I was contemplating buying one a while back and then settled on an Altimeter.  I can't warm up to the wooden or stag horn handled SAK's for some reason.  You've also sparked my interest in SwissCard's.  I have one, but I see them around quite a bit.  I may have to pick a few more up.  Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing.   :2tu:
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 03:38:01 PM
Some great new stuff mate, I love the stag Champ though. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 04:27:29 PM
Nice score! I myself lurvs the stag scaled swisschamp, just wish it had the toothpick and tweezers...
T

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 02:13:36 AM
I'm kind of upset they're not proper Chinese Zodiac as I'd have to get a Dragon for myself. :D

Oh and... why don't we have a fainting emoticon?! I not find I had a proper use for this... :drool:
They have had those one one time, if they still don't.  They've actually had a couple different sets that are more aligned with the Traditional Asian Zodiac.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 02:29:13 AM
The Traveller Lite is quickly getting to be one of my favorites. I have always been a sucker for electronics though, so it was an easy conquest for this knife.

The MOP and Horn SwissChamp are definitely on my short list of SAKs to get.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 02:56:02 AM
The Traveller Lite is quickly getting to be one of my favorites. I have always been a sucker for electronics though, so it was an easy conquest for this knife.

The MOP and Horn SwissChamp are definitely on my short list of SAKs to get.

That is my draw to SAK's like the Traveller Lite, Altimeter, Voyager, etc.  My interest in electronics and SAK's, for me it's sort of a match made in heaven.   :tu: 
[

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 11:02:53 AM
Its nice to see the complete Zodiac collection like that.  Though I must admit anything astrological tends to get me a bit  :rant: so I won't be grabbing any myself.  The older series were red with the various symbols done as inlays. There's a bunch of pics over on the wiki.

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:26 PM
All good stuff as usual Chako - thanks for posting the pics  :tu:

Cheers for the wiki link Neil - hdn't seen that page  :drool:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30