Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A knifeless Kick, of sorts.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
A knifeless Kick, of sorts.
on: May 21, 2007, 04:44:22 AM
Looks like a normal Leatherman Kick doesn't it?

Open up the handles and you'll start to see the difference!

Here's what I did.

I procured both a Leatherman Blast and a Kick for as little as possible. In this case eBay yielded the best deal. I then broke down the Blast into parts; removing the scissors, wood saw and file as well as two thick washers and putting them aside.

Next I broke down the Kick, removing the knife blade, large flathead screw driver and the lanyard ring as well as some thin washers. I tossed these parts in with what was left of the Blast since I wouldn't need them.

Moving along I begun test fitting the parts I had planned to put into the Kick. Some rules to follow are that there may be one long tool, one low tool, and one short tool in each of the handles. Check the picture above; starting with the lower handle we see that the long tool is the saw the low tool is the flathead and the short tool is the scissors.

After spending an hour or so fiddlin' with washers and implements I settled on a arrangement that fit just right and screwed everything back together. Following this I discovered that on the tang of the saw and file there are stops meant to fall into depressions specific for the Blast. These stops were preventing the two tools from seating all the way and subsequently were keeping the tool from closing all the way when folding the handles together. I slowly dremeled these stops off and checked the fit and finish of the tool.

As it stands now everything has good tenstion but the file very slightly scrapes the plier head when closing or opening the handles. I figure this will correct itself over time since the file will just wear away a small amount of metal on the plier head. The flathead also tends to get caught on the tab of the scissors so I will have to dremel down the tab very very slightly.

Modded on the Left, original on the right.

For some reason reverse of above. Modded on the right, original on the left.  ::)

So there you have it, I have created my 100% A+ all-time perfect tool. This tool features the most perfect balance of implements to weight/size, a pocket clip and the satisfaction of a successful mod. It really has everything I want and nothing I don't.

I really should have done it in black oxide but they were a lot more expensive so maybe next time.

Any suggestions for what to do with the remains from the Blast and Kick?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:47:15 AM by Spoonrobot »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: A knifeless Kick, of sorts.
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 05:03:00 AM
That's cool...how much did the two tools cost? 

Did you use two vise grips to take apart the tools..or something else?
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 05:15:24 AM
Awesome job!  Re assemble the rest of the pieces and send them back to Leatherman as a warranty claim!  I'll bet that would confuse the heck out of them! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 05:19:12 AM
Nice job of customization sir!  8)

I must say that while your choice of implements wouldn't suit me personally (I require a knife) I do like the idea of being able to mod a tool to suit one's needs!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:53:22 AM
That's cool...how much did the two tools cost? 

Did you use two vise grips to take apart the tools..or something else?

I bought the Blast by itself for 27$ with free shipping and the Kick as part of a lot of other tools for 12$ with shipping. eBay has been excellent this month with the multi-tool pricing. Prior to bidding on the Kick I was outbid on a NIB Black Oxide Kick with free shipping that went for 7.98$! :(

I actually used my Leatherman Crunch and an Irwin Vise-Grip. I didn't bugger any of the screws too badly but next time I will either heat the fasteners with a soldering iron or a quick boiling water dip before trying to break the loctite.

I am thinking about the implements though. I may trade the medium flathead for the large one instead and may drop the bottle opener in place of a much shortened knife blade. Even though I rarely, if ever, use the blade on my multi-tools it feels really weird not to have one sitting there. Other than that I am very happy with it.

Awesome job!  Re assemble the rest of the pieces and send them back to Leatherman as a warranty claim!  I'll bet that would confuse the heck out of them!

Def

Now that I'm thinking about it I may take the two handles from the Blast, fill each up with as many implements as possible and make 2 "toolbox" type tools out of them. I would have to ratchet up the tension to keep the implements from partially-opening in the pocket and such. Hmmm...

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 06:04:48 AM
Another thing to try while using the vise grips (or technically "locking pliers"  ;D)...put a rag or some leather scraps around the nut before you clamp down on it..it might prevent bending or marring the heads.
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 08:57:26 AM
Nice Job, I like it. Anytime I try to take one of the LMs apart that have those screws I mess them up pretty bad.
"

mx Offline Chaka

Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 10:47:52 PM
Spoonrobot, nice mod... i liked  8)

why didn't you use the handles of the Blast to retain the locking capabilities?  ???
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:49:52 PM by Chaka »

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:09:04 AM
Spoonrobot, nice mod... i liked  8)

why didn't you use the handles of the Blast to retain the locking capabilities?  ???

In short; I wanted the smallest, lightest full-size tool with the most useful implements. The best way to do that was to use the Kick chassis. The Blast and the Fuse both feature locks for the implements but they are both thicker than the Kick and the lock system does add bulk to the tool. By using the Kick I  was able to cram as much into a little as possible; leaving me with on the items I ever really need.

us Offline Splat

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 05:37:59 PM
Looks sweet! Too bad you couldn't reverse the pliers to make it an outside-opener. I'd love to do that with my Core. Then -that- would be -my- A+ perfect multi like you have now.
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 03:52:03 PM
Have you had an opportunity to carry your blasted Kick very much yet Spoonrobot? I'm wondering...does having the pocket clip on the end opposite the plier head tend to cause the tool to flop open during carry?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 07:27:10 PM
I've been carrying it to work this week and so far it's working very well. I love being able to carry tools normally only found in larger/heavier multi-tools in such a smaller/simpler tool.

At work, I generally carry the tool is my back left pocket so the unclipped handle sits against the seam of said pocket and effectively keeps the tool shut. When I'm just poking around town and such I keep it clipped to my left front pocket which means the clipped handle is against the seam and the tool is not sealed by said seam. In the latter configuration there is a chance for the tool to fall open but so far it hasn't happened, the tool stays shut pretty tight so I don't think it will be a problem.

The Leatherman pocket clip set-up is a little loose though. It's nowhere near as tight as the 2004Wave/Charge set-up. I am very very glad they decided to introduce such a system on another of their models but it's not the best set-up.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 08:50:29 PM
The Leatherman pocket clip set-up is a little loose though. It's nowhere near as tight as the 2004Wave/Charge set-up. I am very very glad they decided to introduce such a system on another of their models but it's not the best set-up.

Are you saying that the clip is a little loose on the tool itself? Or that the clip does not grap hold of your pocket tightly enough, making the tool feel loose?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 08:46:14 AM
The clip is a little loose on the tool itself, no matter how hard you tighten the screw, due to the design set-up. The clip is held steady (straight up/down) by a tab that folds off to the side of the tool. The problem is that the tab is not 100% mating with the side of the tool so there is some wiggle (less that 1/4"). It's something I can fix, I just haven't yet. This is also something that may be limited to my specific tool, I haven't tried any other Kick pocket clips; they may be fitted better.

The actual clip tension is very good, tight enought to keep the tool from slipping but loose enough to readily slide in the pocket.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 01:34:01 PM
So are you just gonna squish that little bent piece of metal on your clip around a little more? So it comes up snug against the side of the Kick?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 03:32:55 PM
I'm on my way to make this modded Kick...I just bought a Kick for $12 shipped from Bladeforums, and I'll be on the lookout for a cheap Blast. :multi:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 04:31:52 PM
The Blast shouldn't be too hard to come by- they have been liquidating them at several stores, often in conjunction with one of LM's knives.  I am certain that you'll be able to find some on eBay if you keep watch.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 05:59:35 PM
The Blast shouldn't be too hard to come by- they have been liquidating them at several stores, often in conjunction with one of LM's knives.  I am certain that you'll be able to find some on eBay if you keep watch.

Def

Yup, I've seen those on ebay...I'd like to get an opened/used one for under $20, but I'd pay a little more if it comes with a Leatherman knife.  Then I'll need a Kick pocket clip for a few bucks..

It's not that I need another multi right now, but I'd just like to stick it to Leatherman for not making their tools with changing/modding in mind :grin:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 06:42:32 PM
Who needs another multi?  I'm sure we all have enough to tools to rebuild Beruit ten times over! 

Not that it will stop any of us from getting more!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 07:22:14 PM
Who needs another multi?  I'm sure we all have enough to tools to rebuild Beruit ten times over! 

Not that it will stop any of us from getting more!

Def

haha that's true...Tool fanatics can rationalize another purchase by claiming it's for diffrent attire...this modded Kick/Blast is for pocket carry with a clip, my SOG is not, therefore I need to purchase two multi tools and a clip, spend a few nights after work with a few beers rebuilding them, buy a Dremel tool*, then hope for the day I need to carry a full size multi with a pocket clip.  See it all makes sense.

*This might be the project that makes me actually buy a Dremel instead of borrowing the one at work...more tools!
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 07:30:59 PM
Dremel= plug in multitool!

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 08:46:15 PM
The clip is a little loose on the tool itself, no matter how hard you tighten the screw, due to the design set-up. The clip is held steady (straight up/down) by a tab that folds off to the side of the tool. The problem is that the tab is not 100% mating with the side of the tool so there is some wiggle (less that 1/4"). It's something I can fix, I just haven't yet. This is also something that may be limited to my specific tool, I haven't tried any other Kick pocket clips; they may be fitted better.

The actual clip tension is very good, tight enought to keep the tool from slipping but loose enough to readily slide in the pocket.

I was just about to ask about the clip and then I saw your post.  This was not Leatherman's best design...

* kickclip.jpg (Filesize: 120.21 KB)

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 07:20:02 PM
My clip works the same way. Functions well, but slides back and forth. It bothered me at first, but I got used to it. (It helps that its on my cheapest beater LM, if it was like that on my Charge, I'd be a bit upset!)

Offline bimmerboy

• New User
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 02:50:54 AM
Looks like a normal Leatherman Kick doesn't it?
(Image removed from quote.)

Open up the handles and you'll start to see the difference!

Here's what I did.

I procured both a Leatherman Blast and a Kick for as little as possible. In this case eBay yielded the best deal. I then broke down the Blast into parts; removing the scissors, wood saw and file as well as two thick washers and putting them aside.

Next I broke down the Kick, removing the knife blade, large flathead screw driver and the lanyard ring as well as some thin washers. I tossed these parts in with what was left of the Blast since I wouldn't need them.

Moving along I begun test fitting the parts I had planned to put into the Kick. Some rules to follow are that there may be one long tool, one low tool, and one short tool in each of the handles. Check the picture above; starting with the lower handle we see that the long tool is the saw the low tool is the flathead and the short tool is the scissors.

After spending an hour or so fiddlin' with washers and implements I settled on a arrangement that fit just right and screwed everything back together. Following this I discovered that on the tang of the saw and file there are stops meant to fall into depressions specific for the Blast. These stops were preventing the two tools from seating all the way and subsequently were keeping the tool from closing all the way when folding the handles together. I slowly dremeled these stops off and checked the fit and finish of the tool.

As it stands now everything has good tenstion but the file very slightly scrapes the plier head when closing or opening the handles. I figure this will correct itself over time since the file will just wear away a small amount of metal on the plier head. The flathead also tends to get caught on the tab of the scissors so I will have to dremel down the tab very very slightly.

Modded on the Left, original on the right.

For some reason reverse of above. Modded on the right, original on the left.  ::)

So there you have it, I have created my 100% A+ all-time perfect tool. This tool features the most perfect balance of implements to weight/size, a pocket clip and the satisfaction of a successful mod. It really has everything I want and nothing I don't.

I really should have done it in black oxide but they were a lot more expensive so maybe next time.

Any suggestions for what to do with the remains from the Blast and Kick?

Is the Blast knife blade larger than the Kick knife blade?  I'd be interested in the knurled nuts & pins because I boogered the ones on my own Kick up taking it apart.  I'd also like the knife blade from Kick and Blast and the tiny eyeglasses screwdriver from the Blast.  PM me a price with shipping to 40065.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 02:58:06 AM
Sorry to say but I don't have the parts anymore. I recently moved and dumped a lot of my collection into storage by my families home several hours away. I don't expect to be around that way for at least another year or so.

Offline E. Danny

• 17 of 500
Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 02:37:13 AM
I know I'm reviving a pretty old thread, but kudos on the mod!

I'm interested in making a modded Kick also. I tried taking mine apart using my Crunch and the Kick pocket clip, but when I clamp the knurled bolt with the Crunch and twist on the other side, the Crunch flips right off, I can't get a good enough bite on it.

How do I resolve this problem?
~

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 02:45:14 AM
I know I'm reviving a pretty old thread, but kudos on the mod!

I'm interested in making a modded Kick also. I tried taking mine apart using my Crunch and the Kick pocket clip, but when I clamp the knurled bolt with the Crunch and twist on the other side, the Crunch flips right off, I can't get a good enough bite on it.

Sounds like the Locktite on the threads has set up pretty good :-\

Maybe try touching a soldering iron to the offending bolt head? Perhaps the heat will soften up the Locktite, allowing the screws to come apart easier.

(Either that or maybe you have to get another pocket clip)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 03:27:26 AM

A dunk in boiling water for 10-15 seconds seems to work the best for me.

When I used the Crunch I used the front of the pliers, not the sides. It seemed to grab better this way but dinged up the fasteners pretty badly. Of course, some boiling water/soldering gun would probably work even better with another Kick clip instead of the Crunch.

Good luck!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $345.00
PayPal Fees: $19.32
Net Balance: $325.68
Above Goal: $25.68
Site Currency: USD